Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver Ballooning

I have a 112 mph driver swing (just my normal swing).  My driver is a cobra fly-Z (9.5 degrees) and I am playing a BiMatrx Orange - X Flex - 46', .335" Tip (80gm) shaft.  Since I have started using this driver (had a stiff shaft - stock when I first got it) I have noticed that this seems to be ballooning as compared to my Taylormade SLDR driver.  I switched to the extra stiff shaft thinking that this may help and it has not done so.  I am sure that I am loosing at least 20 yards as compared to my previous driver due to this ballooning.  Is there a general fix (I know nothing is simple) that I could use or try to stop this from happening.  I would use the old driver but the face has a crack in it.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

a. Srixon Z745 Irons - Stiff flex - standard lie and length 

b. Cobra Fly-Z Driver - 9.5 extra stiff bimatrix shaft

c. Right handed

d. Stafford, VA

e. 4.6 handicap

That is the metal tip one? That's supposed to be super low spin but obviously not occurring here. I would take it to a retail store and test against a hazardous or even the stock one and see if your numbers are different.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Well the laws of golf physics will tell you that a "ballooning" ball flight with a driver is the result of an angle of descent that is too steep into the ball with a shaft that is too long and too flexible. Ball position can impact this a lot too.

In my honest opinion, I would cut the club length down to at least 45" (you don't need the driver that long, and you won't lose any distance). Then throw some lead tape in equal amounts on the heel and toe to keep swingweight the same. After that, it is your swing mostly that is the culprit. If you're ballooning the driver you've got to get behind it more with your chest and hit more up on the ball.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

The SLDR head is a lower spin one than the Fly-z. There is your difference in this equation. Burk is correct on fixing your swing being the long term solution.
As for a short term fix. The Bimatrix is a pretty low spin shaft in the 80g X. If you are going to make another change then find a lower spin driver head. You can probably find another sldr for cheap and put the Bimatrix in it. That would be a low spin combo. 

I wouldn't be looking for shaft changes to fix it though.  

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

The SLDR head is a lower spin one than the Fly-z. There is your difference in this equation. Burk is correct on fixing your swing being the long term solution.

As for a short term fix. The Bimatrix is a pretty low spin shaft in the 80g X. If you are going to make another change then find a lower spin driver head. You can probably find another sldr for cheap and put the Bimatrix in it. That would be a low spin combo. 

I wouldn't be looking for shaft changes to fix it though.  

I have to agree with everyone above. Seems like your AoA is negative with the driver. But as Undershooter30 pointed out the heads are not equal as far as spin comparisons. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Thank you all for your input.  I will definitely take these options into consideration.  Short term fixes can be made but it looks like I need to try and make a long term swing change.  I do feel like I get over or out in front of the ball with my upper body and it makes my AoA negative.  

a. Srixon Z745 Irons - Stiff flex - standard lie and length 

b. Cobra Fly-Z Driver - 9.5 extra stiff bimatrix shaft

c. Right handed

d. Stafford, VA

e. 4.6 handicap

Could be the driver head. I've never had a ball flight that was so low/penetrating as I did with my SLDR. My ball flight is higher with the XR I have now, but I get more carry distance.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

There are few things that can cause ballooning and high AOA.  Spine tilt and releasing the club early (casting). I would take a front view video and look at where your spine tilt is at impact and where the shaft alignment is at impact then you can really see how to correct. 

:taylormade-small:

:titleist-small:

I agree with the other advice but I would also add this.

Check your ball position and make sure it is forward enough in your stance to ensure you are hitting up on the golf ball. As mentioned keep your head behind the golf ball at impact.

Additionally I'd make sure your stance is wide enough at set-up and that you have a little bit of axis tilt away from the target. Again, this will help promote more of slight upward strike on the golf ball at impact.

Hope that helps.

Mizuno MP-25 irons, R/H, N.S. Pro 950GH regular shafts

Cobra King LTD 8.5 degrees driver, R/H stiff Aldila Rogue shaft

Titleist 3-wood 915F, 15 degrees, Diamana stiff flex shaft

Queensland, Australia

Handicap 5

www.HittingItSolid.com

The Perfect Golf Swing

favicon-96x96.png

Archived