Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Short Back Swing

Shankster

Ok, so last year I had a pretty damn good swing mapped out for myself. It was about a 3/4 or felt like it anyways. This year I tried to lengthen my swing a little more towards the F... well today at the range I went through the entire bag at the range going about as F of a swing as I can manage. They were going everywhere except where I wanted them to. I dug back in my noggin and remembered, hey short backswing dummy!

So I'm back at the 3/4 swing it feels really short, but they are actually going farther and online. It's about Jon Rahms swing length, or at least I feel that's how I look. Obviously no where near as powerful as that beast of a man, but I think it was swingjunkie that told me to go about 3/4. He was right! I knew it all along from last year. I hate the long lay off, I forget how to play!

- Alan

Ok, so last year I had a pretty damn good swing mapped out for myself. It was about a 3/4 or felt like it anyways. This year I tried to lengthen my swing a little more towards the F... well today at the range I went through the entire bag at the range going about as F of a swing as I can manage. They were going everywhere except where I wanted them to. I dug back in my noggin and remembered, hey short backswing dummy!

So I'm back at the 3/4 swing it feels really short, but they are actually going farther and online. It's about Jon Rahms swing length, or at least I feel that's how I look. Obviously no where near as powerful as that beast of a man, but I think it was swingjunkie that told me to go about 3/4. He was right! I knew it all along from last year. I hate the long lay off, I forget how to play!

- Alan

You won't have to worry about that in a few years .

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I find I hit 3/4 swings farther than my full swing and better contact. The reason is that I turn my shoulders so much on a full swing that I lose the lag in my right wrist and tend to flip a bit. Shorter swings keep me so much more tight and I compress the ball way better

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

You won't have to worry about that in a few years .

Already have 2 herniated discs... I am well on my way to being in a wheel chair in 20 years if I don't slow down. better be able to carry my sticks. I will wheel my ass around the course!

- Alan

My swing thought at the top is when the wrist hinges at the top the swing is over. In my mind the club is vertical. In reality it's fully back and parallel

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

Already have 2 herniated discs... I am well on my way to being in a wheel chair in 20 years if I don't slow down. better be able to carry my sticks. I will wheel my ass around the course!

- Alan

You'll find a way to keep playing.  My orthopedic surgeon told me after my third knee surgery I would be lucky if I could play nine holes.  I guess I showed him. My problem being after the third surgery my right leg was shortened by two inches.  This causes a bit of a balance problem to say the least.  Hell I can still shoot in the low eighties with an occasional high seventy round.  It's all good!

Cleveland

If your takeaway is technically good then really as soon as your left shoulder hits your chin your done. That's a three quarter take away. Some of the longest hitters in the game have a three quarter backswing. Tiger (circa 2000), JB Holmes, Gary Woodland, Sergio Garcia.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

If your takeaway is technically good then really as soon as your left shoulder hits your chin your done. That's a three quarter take away. Some of the longest hitters in the game have a three quarter backswing. Tiger (circa 2000), JB Holmes, Gary Woodland, Sergio Garcia.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Shoulder to chin that's been me forever, till I decided to get flexible.

- Alan

I have to stop when I feel the club is pointing at the sky. It feels like that, but in reality it's closer to parallel.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

My backswing is super long. People are telling me that I need to shorten it up in order to gain more distance. I think, in the long run, you're better off with that 3/4 swing.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I feel like I can swing harder with a 3/4 swing because my timing doesn't have to be as good on my transition and I get more distance. I'm hitting the ball great with the 3/4 mindset.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Also, watch this video: 

. It's crazy to see how much further he hits it when he feels like he's only swinging a 3/4 backswing.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Usually, your swing is longer than it feels. I was the same way. When recording my swing, when I feel like I'm 3/4, I'm my club actually gets parallel. Try recording your swing. It probably just feels 3/4, but is full swing when actually hitting the ball. Besides, distance is never about the length of your swing(though it could help). It's about launch angle and ball speed off the club face.

How are those i200s treating you? Just received mine last night. Excited to get out there try out these bad boys

Usually, your swing is longer than it feels. I was the same way. When recording my swing, when I feel like I'm 3/4, I'm my club actually gets parallel. Try recording your swing. It probably just feels 3/4, but is full swing when actually hitting the ball. Besides, distance is never about the length of your swing(though it could help). It's about launch angle and ball speed off the club face.

How are those i200s treating you? Just received mine last night. Excited to get out there try out these bad boys

+1 I've done this an totally agree..

Sent from my SM-N920T using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Stay tuned for opsimpson, mdumble21, dang3rtown, and my review. All I can say is that the i200's ___ ____ ____!! Fill in the blanks with whatever you think should go there!! check out my "official trailer" too if you are getting antsy.

- Alan

Also, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OciF7zhBh8 . It's crazy to see how much further he hits it when he feels like he's only swinging a 3/4 backswing.

I like this video

Cleveland

I would strongly recommend lessons. Often times feel and reality don't match. Your pro however will be able to identify when your swing is long enough.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Length of the backswing is a personal thing to me. Look at Jon Rahm and how small his is and compare it to Phil Mickelson and his past parallel swing. Lots of different ways to get to the same impact position.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

No lessons for me. Nothing is broken, so I ain't Fixin' it.

With all due respect if nothing is broken why did you start a thread about the length of your back swing in which you stated you think it was shorter before?

This could be blasphemous but I do think there are guys who should stay away from lessons. If you have a caddy shack swing that works it's best not to touch it unless you are willing to undergo a total over haul. I wouldn't because I'm not planning to play on tour but occasionally I want that other set of eyes to check my basics, grip, stance, alignment, etc.

The only way to know if you are doing what you think you are doing is through another set of eyes on your swing. A good teacher is not going to mess with you too much unless you ask him to.

What feels like three quarters to you may not be. Getting a video lesson will let you know. We can't tell you because we aren't seeing your swing and even if we could most of us aren't teaching pros.

Good luck with it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've always been a rather short backswing player. Even when younger. And that normally only applies to the driver and a long iron. Now that Rohm is on the scene I get called Rohm all the time. Don't get me wrong... I wish I had a long flowing swing like Adam Scott for example. But I don't. Heck, a lot of people I play with think they have a have a full backswing but they don't. However... I can play a decent game most days. So, I have no interest in trying to change it. Besides and IMO there is a lot less to go wrong the shorter the swing is. Providing you can still generate enough power to the ball. I do normally manage to keep the ball in the fairway it seems more than many of my contemporaries.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

With all due respect if nothing is broken why did you start a thread about the length of your back swing in which you stated you think it was shorter before?

This could be blasphemous but I do think there are guys who should stay away from lessons. If you have a caddy shack swing that works it's best not to touch it unless you are willing to undergo a total over haul. I wouldn't because I'm not planning to play on tour but occasionally I want that other set of eyes to check my basics, grip, stance, alignment, etc.

The only way to know if you are doing what you think you are doing is through another set of eyes on your swing. A good teacher is not going to mess with you too much unless you ask him to.

What feels like three quarters to you may not be. Getting a video lesson will let you know. We can't tell you because we aren't seeing your swing and even if we could most of us aren't teaching pros.

Good luck with it.

I hear what your saying Rev, I video my range sessions and take notes on what I was doing. And when I compare the differences between a "full" swing and a "3/4" swing and I get better distance, dispersion, and better control over the shot shape with what feels like a shorter swing. It really isn't much shorter, and I get a better turn. And don't feel like I am "forgetting" something. Maybe shorter is the wrong word, simpler might be better.

- Alan

I use a hard 3/4 swing to hit a fade, and a full easy swing to hit a draw. Nothing wrong with using both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

Have to agree. My old swing was so long hands were past my head and whilst not John Daly esq it was out of control. Have shortened to what feels like 3/4 but is in fact a full swing but the results are increased distance, better accuracy and improved consistency. Trouble is convincing myself to shorten when you want to hit a big one

Generally speaking your swing is better when it matches your body type. My swing is never going to look like Weiskopf or his clone Adam Scott.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived