Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Homemade heavy higher MOI putter - ultra custom ;)

Just thought I would pass along some pics regarding my first experience of increasing the weight and MOI of an old putter.

If you have a friend who is a machinist, guess what? They will have a lot of free tungsten carbide sitting around for you to use. Tungsten is expensive, but machinists cut steel using hard tungsten carbide bits. When those bits break, they are useless for milling steel so they just get thrown away.

IMG_2894.jpg

Lucky for you, those old heavy bits are your prefect, free, cylindrical source of tungsten. Now, you need a diamond blade saw to cut them. We tried to cut the bit with a regular steel saw and it barely made a scratch. After we cut them with the diamond saw, we weighed them and just needed to mill out the heel and toe of the putter head to insert them

Tungsten carbide is 2x as dense as the 17-4 steal that the putter is made from.

A hat tip to PING customer service for digging up the specs on that old PING Ally (circa 1999).

I wasn't there for the milling out of the putter head since I had to leave to do the job I actually am paid to do. Turns out my buddy in the machine shop is not paid to modify putters for me so he moved pretty quickly to get the job done.

IMG_2897.jpg

As you can see, he was not perfect with boring the holes for the plugs (Even though I did calculate the correct volume of cylindrical plug that would fit—like I said, he doesn't get paid to make custom clubs for me… yet). He cut the cylindrical hole a little too far back from the face and you can see in the pic where he cut into the head and through the steps of the bumpers. You can see that the tungsten plugs are a little exposed. I should note that in the pic below, this is not very visible at address.

IMG_2892.jpg

The result is that the toe plug is 1 millimeter back of from the face than the heel plug. You can even make out in the pic above that the toe plug is more exposed because the 1 mm discrepancy with the heel plug. From a physics stand point, it could be argued that this difference means the MOI and degree of twisting might be different for toe hits versus heel hits. Whether this is perceptible is debatable. 

At the end of this little experiment, I increased the weight of the head from 332 grams to something around 360 grams.

And the performance. She is smooth. I must confess I don't have many rounds with it because a PING ZING TR has been on fire this season for me and I can't switch or jinx it, but I love the heavy head. Older models are much lighter than the used to be. I would imagine that the thicker putter grips that are in style now are heavier, necessitating higher head weights than 20 years ago.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Just curious, why did you elect to go through the sole instead of through the face like Ping does in the WRX department?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Just curious, why did you elect to go through the sole instead of through the face like Ping does in the WRX department?

First, my apology to the mods. I meant to post this in DIY - oops

Good question.

Reason 1: I was a little inspired by the putter Freddy used in the Masters—got me think about going through the sole. Wanted to try it. Fred used to play Bettinardi - not sure if that is still one.

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/ac976d342a9a4811a0fc124cd4021db1/fred-couples-of-the-us-putts-on-the-eighth-green-in-third-round-play-j01p3f.jpg

Reason 2: The intent was that the plugs would not be visible. The stepped bumpers on that putter are not high enough or go far enough back. So milling out a hole in the face would have cut through all the way and you would see the tungsten plug on the back side too.

Now, as you can see it didn't really matter since my buddy cut through going through the bottom anyway. In retrospect he wasn't as devoted to the precision and craftsmanship as I was since he was doing it for free and I wasn't there either.

The other issue that was that the bottom of the blade has a slight heel to toe radius. This was the big problem since he was milling into a curved surface and it was difficult to position the tool perfectly. In hind sight, the face is flat so would have made for an easier job and a more precision cut.

Live and learn - can always pick up a PING Ally for $6 and try again.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Looks good and great way to fool around to try something 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Archived