Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How vital is this?

Big money

Took this off of instagram (and eliminated the face without permission from the OP).Seems like this is the en vogue move.Is it absolutely essential too swing the club this way? Everything I read and watch makes it sound like this is almost an absolute now.If you don't,than your swinging the club wrong

Ideas ?

I took a series of lessons on this subject.And played some of my worst golf doing this for the duration

IMG_9596.PNG

Keep it in the short stuff

I don't think worrying about positions in the swing is the best way forward, especially as it's incredibly difficult to train positions into your swing.

Best advice I can give is to go to a local teaching pro who's been recommended, and go with an open mind, sometimes you have to put a number of changes in as building blocks before getting into a specific position is even possible, never mind functional!

If anyone figures out this putting lark, message me immediately!

I don't think worrying about positions in the swing is the best way forward, especially as it's incredibly difficult to train positions into your swing.

Best advice I can give is to go to a local teaching pro who's been recommended, and go with an open mind, sometimes you have to put a number of changes in as building blocks before getting into a specific position is even possible, never mind functional!

I took lessons from a very recommended pro.And this was all he dwelled on

There are many ways to swing a club, so I would say no, this is absolutely not vital.  I don't swing like that at all.  He is much too upright for me, and probably a little too upright for most pros, but that's JMO.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm not entirely getting the photo. I see the uprightness of the guy and that's a little much for me too. Not sure about his hands, etc.

I started 2 years ago with my Pro/instructor/coach and at my first meeting I said to him that at 60 (at that time) I didn't want to rebuild a swing. I just wanted to play better and work with what I have. He said that would be great! So that's what we've done. And yes... I've improved working on one or two little things each visit and building on them.

I'm not a pretty swinger of the club. But I do alright with what I have and can play a decent game with anyone. So I'm not too worried how I look as long as it's working.

Like they say... "there's more than one way to skin a cat."

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Summary: I need to find a teacher that works with "my" swing.No matter how awkward "my" swing might be

Tons of Bullshit out there folks

I don't find much value to teaching positions in the downswing because those are things that happen within the flow of a swing. There is a lot of cause and effect from the very beginning that shows up in these late stages.

Now if your original question was is it good to work on being already to the lead side and lower body rotated to the target as the club approaches impact then sure, that's good stuff

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I'm obviously not qualified to give anyone swing advice, but I'll repeat one bit of advice I've heard from more than one instructor though the years.   "The only "essential" thing in the swing is to have the club-face square at impact, and there are many different ways to get there."   

So my answer would probably be no, it's not essential to have those exact positions.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I don't find much value to teaching positions in the downswing because those are things that happen within the flow of a swing. There is a lot of cause and effect from the very beginning that shows up in these late stages.

Now if your original question was is it good to work on being already to the lead side and lower body rotated to the target as the club approaches impact then sure, that's good stuff

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Totally agree.This last guy was all about micromanaging each position.And the goal was the picture above.He had me working mostly on everything leading into impact.Than once mastered,he would tackle all the micro managing positions past the ball into the finish.Nice guy,but only taught one way to hit the ball.Im noticing that his way is the norm now

I'm obviously not qualified to give anyone swing advice, but I'll repeat one bit of advice I've heard from more than one instructor though the years. "The only "essential" thing in the swing is to have the club-face square at impact, and there are many different ways to get there."

So my answer would probably be no, it's not essential to have those exact positions.

Thank You.That is what I will be looking for in the off season.Many only care what it looks like on the camera.My concern is what scores it produces on the score card.Need too interview more of these teachers and find one compatible with my needs.

First you have to define your long range goals. We see some ugly swings in tour but those swings hold up over time. If you want to be a pro or tournament play the instruction may be completely different for someone who just wants to break 100,90, or 80.

I am a firm believer in working with what you have and working on enhancing that swing to make it better. I would avoid an instructor that would want to build a swing to a model. Everything is the swing is controlled by what happens at a prior point in the swing. So to improve impact you may need to change your backswing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm a believer in the fact that we make golf too difficult sometimes.  I'm not someone who plays multiple times per week so the simpler it can be the better for me.

This is from the book "The Plane Truth" by Jim Hardy - 

The sole purpose of the golf swing is to produce a correct, repetitive impact, and the method employed is of no significance as long as it is repetitive.

We all know that the fewer things to think about/concentrate on, move around, etc. the easier it will be to repeat over and over again.  Furthermore if you don't do that 'thing' every day the harder it will be to remember what it was that you did (or were supposed to do) in order to repeat that action.

Thus, my endeavor to simplify the game.  

This year I started with single length clubs.  One swing for every iron.  No thinking about moving the ball forward for this iron/back for that one, no thinking about standing closer for this iron/farther away for that one.  

singleLengthSwing.jpg

I have also changed to a one plane swing.  I found that the 2 plane swing requires so much timing that it becomes difficult to repeat on a consistent basis...especially considering I don't play every day.

onePlaneSwing.jpgonePlaneSwing2.jpg

Hopefully - with these 2 changes I can make the game more simple, more enjoyable and lose fewer balls.   :lol:

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I just swing, I can feel when it's wrong, I try not to think to much about the swing, that leads to trouble, there are 10's of thousands of ways to swing a club, so swing how you want.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Great posting everyone, some good reads.Im just looking to enjoy casual golf.And keep scores 85 at worse on a hard course.And keep under 80 on the easier muni we play (which is under 6000 yards)

First you have to define your long range goals. We see some ugly swings in tour but those swings hold up over time. If you want to be a pro or tournament play the instruction may be completely different for someone who just wants to break 100,90, or 80.

I am a firm believer in working with what you have and working on enhancing that swing to make it better. I would avoid an instructor that would want to build a swing to a model. Everything is the swing is controlled by what happens at a prior point in the swing. So to improve impact you may need to change your backswing.

I would agree if you have a swing that produces decent results but you want to tweak it a little to achieve a slightly better result in some aspect of the swing.  If you are a beginner or someone who doesn't play much but wants to improve quickly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with picking a model and working with that instructor to get to the positions for that model.

When I started playing golf in my mid-40's I thought I could teach myself.  Wrong!  After a few years, I decided that either I had to change my swing or give up the game.  I chose the single plane swing model of Moe Norman because it was simple, easy on the body, and I could keep the ball in the fairway!  It may not be the swing for everyone, but it was fairly simple for me to change.  However, I have to keep working to hit my positions, mostly because I get lazy or my tempo changes daily.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You are right it isn't a bad thing to completely retool a swing or pick a model if that is what you want to do. I still believe that that most people can repeat there golf swing and there is no real need for a major rework.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

You are right it isn't a bad thing to completely retool a swing or pick a model if that is what you want to do. I still believe that that most people can repeat there golf swing and there is no real need for a major rework.

I like the one plane idea. Also interested in a program from Jim Venetos.His program seems like one I might excel in.He is a premiere instructor online (maybe one of the best ) , but breaks the swing down easily

I really like Shawn Clement's approach. He has lots of videos on YouYube. Very straightforward, focusing on hitting to the target. Amazing how all that other stuff just happens when you approach it that way.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I really like Shawn Clement's approach. He has lots of videos on YouYube. Very straightforward, focusing on hitting to the target. Amazing how all that other stuff just happens when you approach it that way.

never heard of him.Will take a look tonight

I am very interested to see how much the one length clubs and a one plane swing take off in the near future. Strokerace put up some good graphics depicting the 2 plane and the 1 plane. Simplified golf swings would be easier to repeat. My hands get all out of whack, but for the most part my swing is one plane. It's more like 5-6 planes but I end up back on the same path I started on.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I am very interested to see how much the one length clubs and a one plane swing take off in the near future. Strokerace put up some good graphics depicting the 2 plane and the 1 plane. Simplified golf swings would be easier to repeat. My hands get all out of whack, but for the most part my swing is one plane. It's more like 5-6 planes but I end up back on the same path I started on.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Sounds like Jim Venetos might be your man as well.It is such a simplified way to go at the ball.

Cut the dandelions!! 😂

He does a good job at simplifying it at making it fluid instead of static.. Tony Luczak has some interesting theories too. He's a coach at Miss St

Sent from my LG-D851 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Cut the dandelions!!

He does a good job at simplifying it at making it fluid instead of static.. Tony Luczak has some interesting theories too. He's a coach at Miss St

never heard of these guys.Im so out of the loop.If they do online instructions I would have no problem trying it.If it went well I would go see them in person to continue my studies

never heard of these guys.Im so out of the loop.If they do online instructions I would have no problem trying it.If it went well I would go see them in person to continue my studies

Lots of internet/youtube golfer instructors.  Social media has enabled instructors to spread their reach and get referrals through golf forums.   Don't actually have to go see an instructor anymore;  I have had good luck sending videos to instructors to work on aspects of my game.    The only "issue" is there is no one to watch you to make sure you are doing things correctly or help you figure out the right fixes. 

Cut the dandelions!! 😂

Yep. I've been tied in knots trying to rid myself of my inside takeaway. Funny, when I focus in the target, it just happens. Very much like Bob Rotella but with something visual (video) to drive the point home.

Archived