TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bluffton/Hilton Head SC

Padreruf

I have just moved to this area for the next year.  Retired but helping out a small congregation get some direction and focus.  

Anyone can find expensive golf courses to play here!  What about the inexpensive ones?  Which ones are worth playing? Do the courses give "locals" (I am one) a break as they do in Myrtle Beach?

Thanks for your help...

"There is not such thing as a bad day on the golf course!"

We go to HHI every other summer and play a few courses.  The most reasonably priced courses we've played were Dolphin Head and Robbers Row.  Last year Robbers Row was in very poor shape, I don't think we're going to go back next time.  Dolphin Head was one of my favorite courses and I'll definitely be going back there.

Hilton Head National is one of the best values down there considering the great course.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

I have just moved to this area for the next year.  Retired but helping out a small congregation get some direction and focus.  

Anyone can find expensive golf courses to play here!  What about the inexpensive ones?  Which ones are worth playing? Do the courses give "locals" (I am one) a break as they do in Myrtle Beach?

Thanks for your help...

Headed to HHI very soon. Based on my research, Bear Creek offers a locals rate and the difference looks significant. Would love to retire there some day.

Golf Now. But, I think their local and direct rates are just as good.

https://www.golfnow.com/courses/1036279-bear-creek-golf-club-details

Enjoy!

Thanks for your help...

Hi Padre!  I'm a local in HHI / Bluffton.  Family has owned property here since the late 1980's and I've been down here pretty much full time now for about 14 years.  If you ever have any questions on any of the courses, feel free to send me a message.

​Yes, courses here DO give a local discount, and it's pretty good on most courses.  It can change depending on the time of year, but it's still a good discount from their usual rate.

Some of the better, cheaper courses I would recommend would probably be Pinecrest, Crescent, and Eagles Point (all in Bluffton).  Rose Hill and Island West are even cheaper but it can be hit or miss on their condition.  Old South and Hilton Head National are very nice too, but a little more money.

​on Island I would recommend Bear Creek.  They do a special where you can play 18 holes and have lunch and a beer - and it's usually under 40.00 bucks.  Look them up on the internet and sign up to be on their mailing list.  They will send you discounts and tee times via email.  I would also recommend Dolphin Head, Oyster Reef, and CC of Hilton head - all in Hilton Head Plantation (along with Bear Creek).  Palmetto Hall also has 2 decent courses and they offer a discount for locals.  Port Royal Plantation does as well but their courses haven't been in the best condition lately.  They got hit pretty hard by the hurricane and have yet to recover fully (in fact their best course is most likely gone forever).  Palmetto Dunes and Sea Pines don't do much for locals during the summer........because they don't have to.  They are always busy "in season" so us locals get screwed.  They will usually offer discounts to us in the winter when they aren't getting as much play.

​Just a heads up................to be considered a "local" you must have a local (Beaufort Co or surrounding area) drivers license.  There are a lot of people who have 2nd homes here and are part-time residents, so courses will usually check your DL to make sure you are indeed a full time resident / "local".

​Hope this helps!

Terry (TMAC)

• 3 weeks later...

I've travelled to HHI  several times (love it!) and have played quite a few of the courses.  TMAC obviously knows his stuff, but I'll offer a few comments:

- Hilton  Head National is one of my favorites.  Great layout - no houses lining the holes and reasonably priced.

- Old South - Not as nice as Hilton Head National,  but it has a few pretty cool holes.  It's a bit less expensive and tends to have more deals.  Last time I played it, I got a real good price through GolfNow.

- I've only played Bear Creek once, but I found it to be too narrow for my liking

- My favorite course down there is Colleton River/Dye Course, which is private.  I prefer it to Harbour Town and Long Cove.  If you ever get a chance to play it, jump on it.  (I've never played Colleton River/Nicklaus, but understand that it is also very nice.)

- You might look into a "trial membership" at The Golf Club at Indigo Run.  It's a nice Nicklaus track and I think they're anxious to attract members.

• 4 weeks later...

Hilton Head National is one of the best values down there considering the great course.

Agreed,

Great course and great vaiue

Driver : Cobra LTD pro x-stiff 9.5 degrees

3 wood: TaylorMade RBZ tour spoon 13 degrees

5 wood: Titleist 906F 18 degrees

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 $-taper 130

wedges: Mizuno S5 50,56 - Cleveland 60 degree 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3

• 5 months later...

Have been here for 7 months and played a lot of courses...the best deals are through GolfNow -- Palmetto Hall's courses can be played for 20.00 on Hot Deals if you reserve ahead.  They have worked hard at improving the conditions and are in really great shape...I play there 2x most weeks.  Resident rate is 45.00 -- same at Old South.

Hilton Head National quit doing cheap rates like this...as did Old South.  That's ok -- their perogative...I just enjoyed them both during the summer.  Island West, Rose Hill and Eagle Pointe are not worth the cheap rate....good layouts but poorly maintained.  All 3 have drainage problems.

Crescent Pointe has upped their game -- in much better shape -- but have also gone up on their rates -- cheapest about 55.00.

Most courses here are in financial difficulties -- particularly the midrange to lower courses.  Upper level have plenty of money.  

Parris Island is about 45 minutes away and is a great public course...if you can handle the shooting range nearby!

"There is not such thing as a bad day on the golf course!"

Archived