TESTERS WANTED! ×

Club weighting -- shaft weights or lead tape?

I decided to out to garage and weight my irons and driver. I used my Maltby Golf Club Scale. (See below) I bought this thing recently off ebay because it was a good deal and I thought it might come in handy one day. Anyway... here's what some of my clubs weighed.

Irons: D2

PW: D3

52,56,60: D4

Driver: D6 w/ TW 11.3 oz. 

My iron shafts are all Aerotech i80

If anyone want to analyze this feel free to do so. I play well with these clubs.

20180526_132412.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

You carry no fairway metal clubs or hybrids, just straight from a long iron to the driver ?

Yea I carry a 4w but didn't weigh it. I did just weigh my 4i. It's a TM Burner 2.0 from an old set I used to bag. 

It's a D2 also with an 85g R-flex TM branded steel shaft. I use this iron over my Wishon 4i because it's a little easier to hit. I might only pull it once a round if that. Usually off the tee on a par 5 with a sharp left dogleg off the tee. Other times perhaps if I'm needing to hit a low runner from under a tree or something. No hybrids. I carry 13 clubs including putter.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

IMHO it's really easy to get carried away obsessing over swingweight, as it's been shown here when people are arguing over 5 gram or 10 gram increments. ... And as a result these conversations always bring me back to an example an old wise clubmaker gave me when giving me a lesson, when he handed me a sheet of copy paper, and said, "That's roughly 5 grams. You mean to tell me you can feel that difference in a piece of metal, on the end of a stick, or is it that your head is telling you that you can feel the difference?"

A few strips of lead tape are the equivalent of putting a paper wing on a 747.

Seriously though, never underestimate the power of the placebo.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

IMHO it's really easy to get carried away obsessing over swingweight, as it's been shown here when people are arguing over 5 gram or 10 gram increments. ... And as a result these conversations always bring me back to an example an old wise clubmaker gave me when giving me a lesson, when he handed me a sheet of copy paper, and said, "That's roughly 5 grams. You mean to tell me you can feel that difference in a piece of metal, on the end of a stick, or is it that your head is telling you that you can feel the difference?"

I hear ya RP and I agree. Sure I have a basic weight scale but I bought it as a novelty really.

I don't get carried away with all the golf club weighting, fitting, shafts, etc. etc.  Honestly it bores me. I just know how a club feels and plays regardless of all the granular details. However.... at my last fitting I certainly do recall and as my fitting progressed my fitter started adding small amounts of weight to my irons and I remember telling him that such and such definitely feels better. Saw the effects it was having on my ball flight too. When we were finished I asked about the weighting and he held out his hand showing me several small round shots. He said this is the weight I'll add to your irons. I said, "that's it?" Yes.. it was small but made a difference.

I recall reading somewhere that +/- 2g in the clubhead = 1 SW.

The ratio was different if that same 2g was in the tip, somewhere else on the shaft, the grip, etc.

FWIW

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

The longer the lever, the more the leverage. This works both ways. Ad in acceleration and speed and the forceis increased. 5 grams CAN "be" heavier than 5 grams.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you.

Some people can feel the difference, there's been many stories about big name tour players that could tell minute (1gr.) difference in clubhead weights or (1/16") in shaft tipping, but I'm just saying most people can't.

Couldn't agree more.

Many try and make tour pros out to be like they have some 7th sense that none of us ever could imagine. Laughable. That'd be like saying your senator or congressman is smarter or wiser than you. Don't get me started. LOL

... If you have been playing awhile and used to a certain weight an balance in your irons, it is very difficult for most to go to very light shafts as it throws of the static weight and balance so tempo can suffer. As I grew older I went rom 130gm graphite irons shots to 105, then 100 and finally 95. I tried VS Proto 85gm shafts and they are just too light and adding enough weight to the head changed the overall balance and feel, so my tempo really suffered. If you are still inclined, I would suggest you try a 95gm graphite iron shaft and you may find some additional distance and a much better feel as well as protecting your shoulder. 

Looking at this...my shoulder is healed but I cannot get the club into the proper position at the top -- and I am not having another shoulder surgery.  So I am trying a shorter, flatter swing plane -- think Jason Dufner -- and it works with some success.  I looked up and these older irons are 2 degrees more upright than the 712's.  Giving up distance is not what I need -- especially at sea level.

"There is not such thing as a bad day on the golf course!"

... Do not under estimate the shock steel shafts have on your joints. Especially of you have had problems in the past. Of course this depends on how much you play and practice. Playing 33 out of 36 days in Phoenix, my graphite iron shafts make a very big difference on the wear and tear my joints experience. Playing once a week it probably isn't even a consideration, especially if you are not practicing and taking divots.  

... I have always felt wedges should come standard with graphite shafts, even 130gm very heavy graphite because they take such big and deep divots really pounding your joints. But the human body is an amazing mechanism and some are very prone to joint problems in golf while others never experience a problem. Like everything else in this game there is no one size fits all. Good luck with your swing change. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• 1 month later...

After a few months the verdict is clear -- the Kuro Kage shafts are too light and weak for me.  I am hitting the Titleist 775 CB with Nippon Pro Regular shafts very solid...can move the ball left and right much easier.

I am tempted to put these shafts into the AP1 712's -- but not really sure that would make a big difference in scoring.  I just know that hitting a 7 iron 145 at sea level is far enough...

My bigger problem is that my putting has gone to hell -- have the beginnings of cataracts but cannot have surgery now.  

Father time is undefeated...but I'm still playing 3x most weeks....

Another question for you club afficienados -- Is the AP1 712 clubhead better than an older clubhead -- specifically Titleist 775 CB.  The former is cast and the latter is forged.  The former is on the whole 2 degrees lower per club than the latter.  I played with the former for the last 6 years.  What I am asking is whether my game will improve by reshafting these irons to shafts I like that that "fit" me?  Does the head make that much difference?

Another question for you club afficienados -- Is the AP1 712 clubhead better than an older clubhead -- specifically Titleist 775 CB. The former is cast and the latter is forged. The former is on the whole 2 degrees lower per club than the latter. I played with the former for the last 6 years. What I am asking is whether my game will improve by reshafting these irons to shafts I like that that "fit" me? Does the head make that much difference?

The AP1's will be much more forgiving. Personally at a 10 handicap(which I know may not tell the whole story) I would go for the AP1's. The 775CB may not be forgiving enough. The clubhead is just as important as the shaft IMHO. I am a 9 handicap and play the 710 AP1's

and love em.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

... The shaft does not matter as much unless, you have a late release. Finding the right head is key I think. You want a combination of trajectory, spin and forgiveness as well as a head that looks good to your eye. Only you can answer those questions. I have had this mantra for years now "play the most forgiving irons you can effectively play". Effectively play means different things to different golfers but when demoing irons, keep trying more and more forgiving irons until you find the best combination for your game. For instance Tiger controls his trajectory and side to side movement on every shot so effectively he needs MB's. Most just want to hit it high and straight, so anything from players CB's to SGI's should be looked at depending on what kind of swing speed and consistency you have with your swing.

... Some high index players hit the ball high flipping the club thru impact and heavy soled SGI's may not work for them. While those that struggle to get enough height on their shots will benefit tremendously from the heavy wide soles of SGI irons. The list goes on and on as every swing is different so be honest and look at the kind of irons that give you the best chance of hitting the ball as consistently as your skill allows.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• 2 weeks later...

"... Some high index players hit the ball high flipping the club thru impact and heavy soled SGI's may not work for them."

Agree. I am using blade irons with thin sole. Ball launches much higher than average. For a 35* 7-iron, the ball launches at 28*.

<div style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);font-size:12px;"><span style="font-size:14px;color:rgb(75,79,86);font-family:inherit;">Titleist 917D2 9.5* Diamana BF 50 (S)Titleist 917F2 18*

Diamana BF 60 (S)Titleist 816H1 23* Diamana S+ 70 (S) Titleist 716MB (5-P) NSPRO 950GH (S)Titleist SM5 50* F Grind NS Pro Modus 105 (W)Titleist SM5 54* M Grind NS Pro Modus 105 (W)Titleist SM5 58* M Grind NS Pro Modus 105 (W)Titleist Scotty Cameron GoLo 5</span></div><div style="font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(29,33,41);font-size:12px;"> </div>

• 1 year later...
On 6/2/2017 at 5:08 PM, PlaidJacket said:

Then I wondering why my fitter who is nationally recognized in the club fitting business (+30 years) is adding weight to the hosel I my irons. As far as I'm concerned I loved the way the feel of my irons came into focus is you will.

Adding the weight seemed to make a difference to me. My irons feel and play great.

I cannot comment on what works and doesn't work technically, as I have no data for that, but I can say that adding weight to my long irons and driver has lengthened my swing and hence added distance to my long shots. Me and my playing partners jokingly called it smash factor, but I added 10 yards to the drive simply by adding lead tape to dead center at the back of my driver head. We have found that the heavier stiffer shafts handle this adjustment best, S400 shafts work for us.  Everyone has something that works for them as there is no one answer to this.

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry but anyine in this thread that doesn't think adding or subtracting weight from any part of the golf club has never played golf or never played golf very well. 2 grams of weight will add or sub 1 from the swing weight of the club. That's an enormous difference in feel. You can change the swing weight and feel of the club "any club" by adding weight to the grip. Granted you have add or sub more in the grip to tell the difference but it does. Weight is what changes the sweet spot, tempo, the bottom of your swing everything. Weight even as little as 2 grams is everything to a golf club. If you disagree or want to argue first play some golf with lead tape placed in different spots on each golf club and then come back and then you can actually know what ur talking about and not look so stupid.