Have I Broken My Driver?

CK1

Hi,

I bought the Taylormade Aeroburner Driver when it came out, and have always got on quite well with it, a few shaft changes along the way but it's always served me well.

Recently I've noticed that the noise off of the club face has sounded quite flat, it's always made a nice ping like a driver does, but last few times it hasn't sounded quite right. I've used impact sprays and tapes to see if it's ball strike but it all seems to be fine. My carry and total distances haven't altered but haven't had an opportunity to check numbers on a launch monitor for spin etc.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had this before and if it's a cause for concern?

Thanks!

Current Specs;

Irons: Project X 5.5 Shafts

Driver: 9.5 deg, 75g Stiff (Looking to switch to 60g X)

Right-Handed

Hampshire, United Kingdom

H/C - 15

It is possible that the face has a crack at the weld line. You'd have to look really close along the edge of the face all around to see if there is any kind of hairline fracture or anything. I've had it happen a couple times. Otherwise it could just be age depending on how many times it's been hit.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

It is possible that the face has a crack at the weld line. You'd have to look really close along the edge of the face all around to see if there is any kind of hairline fracture or anything. I've had it happen a couple times. Otherwise it could just be age depending on how many times it's been hit.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

It happens.  A few years ago, my wife played a TaylorMade R7 with a senior shaft and the same thing happened.  She loved the driver, and went with the new, at the time, RBZ Stage 2.  So far so good.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'm not sure if my driver is broken either. I have a TM Burner Superfast 2.0 driver.  Recently I've been hearing something small rattling around in the club head, it sounds almost like a really small pebble.  It goes away for a bit, then inevitably comes back. Is that a problem with the club? should I just continue to blame my massive slice on this ;) ?

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'm not sure if my driver is broken either. I have a TM Burner Superfast 2.0 driver. Recently I've been hearing something small rattling around in the club head, it sounds almost like a really small pebble. It goes away for a bit, then inevitably comes back. Is that a problem with the club? should I just continue to blame my massive slice on this ;) ?

Probably a piece of epoxy broke off and is floating around in the clubhead. Goes away when it gets lodged in something. Nothing to worry about except for the constant rattle

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

CK1- You might try bouncing a golf ball off of the face, that might give you an idea if the weld has cracked.. 

I cracked the weld on a driver a few years ago, it started with a funny tick and got louder and worse. I was on a simulator and the Pro who owned the place asked to see my club because he could here it from across the store.. 

Mine cracked along the bottom weld and by bouncing a ball on the face you could here the metal ticking when the hit each other on contact.. 

HAD to buy a new driver Darnit... LOL

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

CK1- You might try bouncing a golf ball off of the face, that might give you an idea if the weld has cracked..

I cracked the weld on a driver a few years ago, it started with a funny tick and got louder and worse. I was on a simulator and the Pro who owned the place asked to see my club because he could here it from across the store..

Mine cracked along the bottom weld and by bouncing a ball on the face you could here the metal ticking when the hit each other on contact..

HAD to buy a new driver Darnit... LOL

Yeah I've tried this and seems to be ok, checked the club head, crown and face and all seems fine, I'll see how it goes and if I also HAVE to buy a new one then so be it! Nothing wrong with having to get new toys!

Current Specs;

Irons: Project X 5.5 Shafts

Driver: 9.5 deg, 75g Stiff (Looking to switch to 60g X)

Right-Handed

Hampshire, United Kingdom

H/C - 15

Archived