Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Casual or Tournament Golf?

Reesedw

I know we all want to play golf.. 

But I have been thinking about this, Would you rather play a Casual game with good friends a few drinks and maybe a nice cigar and just enjoy the game or a tournament Whether league, local or something more. 

For me I like both but If had my choice I think I would play casually.. that's why I play golf, yet very much enjoy the thrill, challenge and pressure that comes with a tournament no matter how big or small.. 

I'm not saying casual golf cant have those same elements, we all have " the 1-2 buddies"  we play with that we want to kick their A$$'s.. but at the end of the day I want to relax enjoy the game good or bad, and spend some quality time with friends and family... 

You guy??? 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I like both but I'll choose tournament golf any chance I can get, it's a rush for me in all honesty.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I've played a gillion tournaments during my illustrious golf career. Me and some guys many years ago used to play the BBQ Tour around our area. Seemed like every weekend or two there was a partnership somewhere. Then there were all the big annual club tournaments that I played in as well. I officially retired this year although I didn't play any last year either. Except our annual club championship which I'll compete in again this year. Senior Division.

Now days I look forward to and enjoy just as much our Saturday skin game. We usually have between 8-14 players each Saturday. It's like a 1-day mini tournament each week. It's casual but intense at the same time. Everyone is competitive and wants to win. That's where golf is for me these days.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I know we all want to play golf..

But I have been thinking about this, Would you rather play a Casual game with good friends a few drinks and maybe a nice cigar and just enjoy the game or a tournament Whether league, local or something more.

For me I like both but If had my choice I think I would play casually.. that's why I play golf, yet very much enjoy the thrill, challenge and pressure that comes with a tournament no matter how big or small..

I'm not saying casual golf cant have those same elements, we all have " the 1-2 buddies" we play with that we want to kick their A$$'s.. but at the end of the day I want to relax enjoy the game good or bad, and spend some quality time with friends and family...

You guy???

I couldn't agree more with your preference. Tournaments can be fun but playing guys you know that razz each other and enjoy a couple drinks with is much more enjoyable

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Funny this question comes up as I get ready for my first Am of the year tomorrow. Its always nice to get out with buddies and just whack the ball around. But I am so competitive that I love tournaments and it keeps me so focused. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Casual golf. I can't compete in tournament golf; never could because I don't like to sandbag.

Kenny, tpur

Casual golf. I can't compete in tournament golf; never could because I don't like to sandbag.

Kenny, there are no handicap tourneys every year.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

I always enjoy casual.With my handicap, I've been accused of being a "sand bagger-cheater"in tourneys (which I've won or placed well many many times).Just sick of the hassle.And sick of people that can't comprehend that everyone can shoot well even with a high handicap occasionally.Example,I was a 19 handicap few years back and shot a 77.With my strokes I won by a land slide.My game was so on this day.I seem to play well in tourneys for some reason

Casual all the way for me

Keep it in the short stuff

Both for me. Even my casual rounds generally have some type of wager on them.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I want to play tournaments super badly but I am too nervous about my game. Only competitions I play are scrambles which I don't really count.

So I guess to answer the question casual is the way I lean, less stress and my game is already stressful enough

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Either way - I'm happy with either type of golf although my game isn't in tournament shape these days.

There is a huge difference between the two types for sure.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Depends. Golf is full of cheats, and liars . I hate being cheated. If I could get in a tournament with "honorable" players it would be fun. But every one I've ever played in there is (fluffing lies, uncounted shots, 6' "self gimmes", and generally a bunch of assholes.

Not gonna lie, I went to the range the range last Tuesday during league night (I am not a part of it) there were guys about to fight in the parking lot because the guys they were playing with had a Milwaukee "Boom Box" cranked up as loud as it goes. Half drunk already, and just genuine jerks.

I don't care to ever be on the course with people like that. I would get extremely pissed off. 72 jerks on the course at one time.... no thanks.

Casual with my buddies and a few drinks....... or more than a few as is sometimes the case. B)

I really have no desire to play tournament golf. As Shankster said.... I've seen way too many assholes and cheats to bother with it. Hell, even charity scrambles bring out the idiots and cheats. I can only imagine what a sizeable amount of prize money would bring to the course.

I've always just played casual rounds with friends, but since joining my local CC, I've played in a 2 man tournament and in a few weeks playing in my first invitational. Playing in the 2 man we had to play "alternate shot" which is a lot of pressure. But I enjoyed the pressure and having to listen to someone else on what shot to hit because it affected more than myself.

CobraConnectChallenge3

I posted about this a few years back. My opinion is the two are very different games. The atmosphere, the focus, mood, etc. I love both.

But I lump a handicapped tournament into the casual category. As long as I know what to expect beforehand, its still golf and I love it.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Some of my favorite rounds are just my wife and I walking 18 holes. But nothing compares to the rush of tournament golf. I enjoy both very much.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I play both and love both. Played with friends for a long time and just now getting into league play and loving it

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Casual golf, but play it like it's tournament golf (got to play for something, right?).

Actually, I love competing. I just am not able to play in that many tournaments, unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Some of my favorite rounds are just my wife and I walking 18 holes. But nothing compares to the rush of tournament golf. I enjoy both very much.

I also enjoy playing golf with my wife however she plays in quite a few women's events/tournaments so we don't tee it up very often. Besides, I don't like getting my arse whupped by a Lady all  the time. :blink: 

I played in my first tournament yesterday for 2017 and it was a benefit scramble tournament.  Tons of fun had by all.  I haven't play in an individual tournament in over five years. I've been asked several times to play in two man team tournaments however I haven't signed up.  I suppose my competitive juices have drained out. :D 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I also enjoy playing golf with my wife however she plays in quite a few women's events/tournaments so we don't tee it up very often. Besides, I don't like getting my arse whupped by a Lady all the time. :blink:

I played in my first tournament yesterday for 2017 and it was a benefit scramble tournament. Tons of fun had by all. I haven't play in an individual tournament in over five years. I've been asked several times to play in two man team tournaments however I haven't signed up. I suppose my competitive juices have drained out. :D

I played in a charity scramble yesterday as well. Played with three other hacks, and had to carry the team. Shot 72, used about 40 of my shots. Winning score... 54...

I played in a charity scramble yesterday as well. Played with three other hacks, and had to carry the team. Shot 72, used about 40 of my shots. Winning score... 54...

We shot 65 and we couldn't make a putt to save our lives.  We had a ton of lip outs and near misses however NOTHING would drop.  We were strong off the tee however our approach shots were all too often too far from the pin.  We had a great time and the money raised went to a great cause so all was good!

Cleveland

We shot 65 and we couldn't make a putt to save our lives. We had a ton of lip outs and near misses however NOTHING would drop. We were strong off the tee however our approach shots were all too often too far from the pin. We had a great time and the money raised went to a great cause so all was good!

The other guys on my team thought EVERY putt was straight...

You're absolutely right, though. It was all for the cause, and a great way to have fun!

I'm a casual type golfer, my weekly match we aren't competing against each other, we are trying to beat our best score.

We recently added closest to pin on par 3's for a dollar (big stakes)

Me personally, I have a hard time competing in a tournament because of years of being yelled by my dad that I had to win (no matter what it was. So I used to get so upset I'd get nauseous b4 I did anything.

My father in law finally got me to relax, and I'm comfortable enough now to just go out and have fun

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I just found out the other day that two guys were DQ for cheating in a local Big annual club event. They were also kicked out of the club. All that for a stinking pro shop gift certificate. I don't know for sure but there was probably a large Calcutta involved. That's where the money is.

There's another one starting tomorrow at another club. It's huge as the club has 36 holes. The Calcutta can reach over a $100,000 some years. It's ripe for cheating.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm a casual type golfer, my weekly match we aren't competing against each other, we are trying to beat our best score.

We recently added closest to pin on par 3's for a dollar (big stakes)

Me personally, I have a hard time competing in a tournament because of years of being yelled by my dad that I had to win (no matter what it was. So I used to get so upset I'd get nauseous b4 I did anything.

My father in law finally got me to relax, and I'm comfortable enough now to just go out and have fun

I'm thinking you might have a good time teeing it up with me.... ;)   If ya don't have fun I'll kick ya in the arse.  :blink:  I can guarantee ya no stress & you'll laugh so hard you'll bust your overalls off. Finally,,,, you'll go home feeling like you played a game and not worked at one. 

Cleveland

I love tournaments but I've done quite poorly in most. A few tournaments I remember doing well were just awesome. The 4some was just perfect. I play well when I don't think about golf shots. Tournaments setting make it impossible, every few holes there's always some distractions, longest drive, closest to the pin, middle of the fairway, last chance to buy mulligan, 2nd last chance to buy mulligans. Endless.

I do enjoy the better ball or scramble format, I've done well in that type of situation, especially match play. Having a partner sharing the blame, no...pressure helps my psyc a lot. Sadly it only comes once or twice a year.

Love the atmosphere before and after usually before too many drunks after:).

it was years ago that he had me loosen up.  I just felt comfortable playing in a league last season, and I played my first (and to date only tournament)

I don't mind my dad stressing to win, he just demanded perfection from an imperfect game.  we go out now, but when he starts reminiscing, I normally shut him down and tell him to enjoy the moment. 

but yeah, Ole Gray, we'll have to tee it up!  I do love to play! my best friend and I go out as OFTEN as we can (it's my midlife crisis) so my wife got off lucky!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I don't think league play is anywhere near as "stressful" as tournament golf. I can't even see a correlation between the two, to be honest.

League play (for me) is playing in the middle of the week after work with buddies drinking beer. How stressful is that? Tournament play is quite a bit more stressful than that.

I play mostly casual with the occasional scramble outing/tournament with friends.

The thing I've never understood with outings/tournaments is why if it's a 4 man scramble you don't tee off 2 separate teams on the same hole at the same time. I realize there is now an 8 some on each hole, but I feel like that would cut down on cheating quite a bit. Just my opinion

Archived