Reesedw

Casual or Tournament Golf?

I also enjoy playing golf with my wife however she plays in quite a few women's events/tournaments so we don't tee it up very often. Besides, I don't like getting my arse whupped by a Lady all the time. :blink:

I played in my first tournament yesterday for 2017 and it was a benefit scramble tournament. Tons of fun had by all. I haven't play in an individual tournament in over five years. I've been asked several times to play in two man team tournaments however I haven't signed up. I suppose my competitive juices have drained out. :D

I played in a charity scramble yesterday as well. Played with three other hacks, and had to carry the team. Shot 72, used about 40 of my shots. Winning score... 54...

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I played in a charity scramble yesterday as well. Played with three other hacks, and had to carry the team. Shot 72, used about 40 of my shots. Winning score... 54...

We shot 65 and we couldn't make a putt to save our lives.  We had a ton of lip outs and near misses however NOTHING would drop.  We were strong off the tee however our approach shots were all too often too far from the pin.  We had a great time and the money raised went to a great cause so all was good!

We shot 65 and we couldn't make a putt to save our lives. We had a ton of lip outs and near misses however NOTHING would drop. We were strong off the tee however our approach shots were all too often too far from the pin. We had a great time and the money raised went to a great cause so all was good!

The other guys on my team thought EVERY putt was straight...

You're absolutely right, though. It was all for the cause, and a great way to have fun!

I'm a casual type golfer, my weekly match we aren't competing against each other, we are trying to beat our best score.

We recently added closest to pin on par 3's for a dollar (big stakes)

Me personally, I have a hard time competing in a tournament because of years of being yelled by my dad that I had to win (no matter what it was. So I used to get so upset I'd get nauseous b4 I did anything.

My father in law finally got me to relax, and I'm comfortable enough now to just go out and have fun

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I just found out the other day that two guys were DQ for cheating in a local Big annual club event. They were also kicked out of the club. All that for a stinking pro shop gift certificate. I don't know for sure but there was probably a large Calcutta involved. That's where the money is.

There's another one starting tomorrow at another club. It's huge as the club has 36 holes. The Calcutta can reach over a $100,000 some years. It's ripe for cheating.

I'm a casual type golfer, my weekly match we aren't competing against each other, we are trying to beat our best score.

We recently added closest to pin on par 3's for a dollar (big stakes)

Me personally, I have a hard time competing in a tournament because of years of being yelled by my dad that I had to win (no matter what it was. So I used to get so upset I'd get nauseous b4 I did anything.

My father in law finally got me to relax, and I'm comfortable enough now to just go out and have fun

I'm thinking you might have a good time teeing it up with me.... ;)   If ya don't have fun I'll kick ya in the arse.  :blink:  I can guarantee ya no stress & you'll laugh so hard you'll bust your overalls off. Finally,,,, you'll go home feeling like you played a game and not worked at one. 

• Like 1

I love tournaments but I've done quite poorly in most. A few tournaments I remember doing well were just awesome. The 4some was just perfect. I play well when I don't think about golf shots. Tournaments setting make it impossible, every few holes there's always some distractions, longest drive, closest to the pin, middle of the fairway, last chance to buy mulligan, 2nd last chance to buy mulligans. Endless.

I do enjoy the better ball or scramble format, I've done well in that type of situation, especially match play. Having a partner sharing the blame, no...pressure helps my psyc a lot. Sadly it only comes once or twice a year.

Love the atmosphere before and after usually before too many drunks after:).

it was years ago that he had me loosen up.  I just felt comfortable playing in a league last season, and I played my first (and to date only tournament)

I don't mind my dad stressing to win, he just demanded perfection from an imperfect game.  we go out now, but when he starts reminiscing, I normally shut him down and tell him to enjoy the moment. 

but yeah, Ole Gray, we'll have to tee it up!  I do love to play! my best friend and I go out as OFTEN as we can (it's my midlife crisis) so my wife got off lucky!

• Like 1

I don't think league play is anywhere near as "stressful" as tournament golf. I can't even see a correlation between the two, to be honest.

League play (for me) is playing in the middle of the week after work with buddies drinking beer. How stressful is that? Tournament play is quite a bit more stressful than that.

• Like 3

I play mostly casual with the occasional scramble outing/tournament with friends.

The thing I've never understood with outings/tournaments is why if it's a 4 man scramble you don't tee off 2 separate teams on the same hole at the same time. I realize there is now an 8 some on each hole, but I feel like that would cut down on cheating quite a bit. Just my opinion

I can relate to "stress". It's more like self pressure to do well or as well as my avg but not worse. It's not even about what type of golf outing it's just not a casual rounds you play when there's something to prove to yourself and others sometimes your head is not in the optimum place for "zen" golf.

Just recently, my long time golf buddy came for a visit from overseas, my game was 10 strokes better than the last time we played together. I wanted to impress him with my game so bad but ended up playing about 3 strokes worse a side. Some people thrives on the extra pressure but I don't have it in me at the moment:)

• Like 1

I love to compete, one way or another.  I love to play in our inter-club matches, love to play club tournaments, I like the pressure I put on myself to perform.  Even in casual rounds, I prefer to have a bet of some kind, even without an actual wager.  When my wife and I play together, we always keep track of a match, I give her 4 a side, and we break just about even.  I enjoy casual rounds with no bets too, but I prefer to have some kind of competition.