TESTERS WANTED! ×

When your 3 wood starts out performing your driver

OTG

What should you do when you start hitting your 3 wood better/more consistently than your driver?

I get more distance from my driver when I hit it very well. But when I'm not hitting the driver well, like the past couple no of weeks in particular, I get comparable distance (maybe even better) from my 3 wood off the tee with better accuracy.

Any thoughts and opinions?

Srixon Z545 Driver

Cleveland Classic 5 wood

Cleveland Mashie #3 Hybrid

Srixon H45 #4 Hybrid

Srixon Z-565 irons (5-PW)

Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges (48° & 56°)

Cleveland CBX 60° wedge

Cleveland TFi Cero putter

Srixon Z-Star XV

Stick with the 3 off the tee and work on the driver at the range...this advice, of course, is coming from a hacker.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Two simple possibilities

1. Were you fit for your driver? If no there become a myriad of possibilities as to why it's not working for you. So go to a fitting and find out - it might be something as simple as a new shaft and a loft tweak.

2. If it's fit go see a pro and take a lesson. You're giving away yardage by hitting three wood which in the long run means you're giving away strokes. Think about that 20 yards times 14 over the course of 18 holes is a potential full stroke lost per round.

Certainly the driver has more R and D on it than your 3 wood. Finding the right one for you is not difficult if you're willing to spend a little cash and put in the effort.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Just go Henrik. 3 wood all day.

Yep, definitely. Just throw your driver in the lake and hit 3 wood.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I have this same problem from time to time. Feel like a smoke a drive out there get up to it and think... man this is short.

I "should" be able to carry the Driver 270+ easily. My 3 wood is Stock 250ish and mostly a slight draw or a tiny baby fade. I'll send one out with the driver and GPS has me at 233 or something.

Like Rev said I'm giving up probably 2 shots with short drives, another 4 with poor accuracy and 1-2 with penalties per round. IF I could remember to use my 3 wood or 2 iron off the tee when it's tight I'd have much better rounds.

When I encounter that during a round, I just ride the 3W the rest of the day. Then work on driver next range session.

It (driver) has to be most fickle club in the bag. 😖

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I have this same problem from time to time. Feel like a smoke a drive out there get up to it and think... man this is short.

I "should" be able to carry the Driver 270+ easily. My 3 wood is Stock 250ish and mostly a slight draw or a tiny baby fade. I'll send one out with the driver and GPS has me at 233 or something.

Like Rev said I'm giving up probably 2 shots with short drives, another 4 with poor accuracy and 1-2 with penalties per round. IF I could remember to use my 3 wood or 2 iron off the tee when it's tight I'd have much better rounds.

I played a couple of rounds last summer only hitting 4-iron off the tee. I was hitting a lot more fairways, and I was still hitting short/mid irons into greens. It pays!

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I played a couple of rounds last summer only hitting 4-iron off the tee. I was hitting a lot more fairways, and I was still hitting short/mid irons into greens. It pays!

I didn't use a driver for many years. My old Ping 1 iron was the driver. Just as far, and like throwing darts.

- Alan

I'm sorta in the same boat. My consistency with my 3W is much better than my consistency with my driver. I pull out my 3W probably 75% of the time because I know I can hit it well.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Hit that same bump in the road every year -- driver swing gets all FUBAR'd so I hit the 3-wood. Use either a PING Stretch 3 (adjustable down to 12*) or a Cally Big Bertha Mini Driver (adjustable down to 11*). For the courses I play they tend to be plenty long.  

My pro said one of the reasons we tend to be more consistent with the 3-wood is that the shaft is a little shorter and easier to handle. I just put a Matrix Black Tie in my Srixon and cut it down about an inch from standard - took a while but I'm finding it much easier to hit the sweet spot and am starting to see positive results. 

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Shorter clubs are easier to hit than longer clubs which is why you could be hitting the 3 wood more consistently and farther.  Try choking down on the driver to make it an inch or two shorter to see if that helps.  

Other option is to just keep hitting the 3 wood.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Play the 3 wood, is there an advantage to hitting driver? I hit 3 wood really far, and mostly I hit I it pretty accurate. I would not abandon the driver, I would only use it on holes that it's needed, or holes that have a little forgiveness. I played Pinehurst No 2 earlier in the year from the back tees 7000 yards and hit 3 wood all day, I was struggling with driver that day, but I was smoking the 3 wood. I hit 2 bad drives with it all day. I have since figured out the driver and I use it a few times in the round. It sounds like you hit it well at times so I would keep it in, but only use it when you feel like you have to. Put the ego aside and keep it in the short grass.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Stick with the 3 off the tee and work on the driver at the range...this advice, of course, is coming from a hacker.

Use 3W on the course and practice, practice, practice the driver on the range.

I've only been hitting driver about 4 times/round on fairly wide open holes. Starting to come around but still too inconsistent for those drivable par 4s

This is exactly what I'm thinking of doing for a couple rounds and seeing how it goes. Problem is that I know in my head that I have hit this driver well and know what it's capable of when I hit the sweet spot. Just in a rut with it and over thinking, where the 3 wood just feels so effortless.

1. Were you fit for your driver? If no there become a myriad of possibilities as to why it's not working for you. So go to a fitting and find out - it might be something as simple as a new shaft and a loft tweak.

Yeah, I was fit for this driver. I'd made some tweaks to it after fitting (lofted up, etc.) and thought I found a nice combo, had been hitting it reasonable well, occasionally very well, but over the last 2-3 weeks it's just getting worse and I'm in my head with it. Now I'm making adjustments to the weight position and my swing and it's now all over the shop. Biggest issue lately is launching way to high.

My pro said one of the reasons we tend to be more consistent with the 3-wood is that the shaft is a little shorter and easier to handle. I just put a Matrix Black Tie in my Srixon and cut it down about an inch from standard - took a while but I'm finding it much easier to hit the sweet spot and am starting to see positive results.

I actually did cut down my driver shaft a while back after choking down on it for a few rounds and feeling more control. I was loving the feel and didn't seem to lose any distance at all and felt like when I was missing fairways, I wasn't missing by too much.

I'm thinking maybe I need to get fitted for a driver with no or limited adjustability so my mind didn't over think the whole thing? I don't over think the 3 wood.

Might drop the driver for a while until I can get back to a Trackman and have someone help me readjust my driver back to where it should be and I'll hide the adjustment wrench.

Srixon Z545 Driver

Cleveland Classic 5 wood

Srixon H45 #4 Hybrid

Cleveland CBX 60° wedge

Srixon Z-Star XV

I get yelled at by mh friends for trying to use a driver. I hit my 3w 250 plus from the tees and if I hit my driver well nearly 290 but for how inaccurate I am with the driver I never touch it unless I'm practicing. Most of the time the 3w gets me close enough that i don't have to worry. I'm glad to see I'm not the only guy who has issues with the driver.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

For Me Driver isn't the correct play on many holes, since I only use it a few times, I can concentrate on my line and how I want to hit it. If I don't hit it we'll the first time, i can't hit it again for 3 holes, it allows me to make a change in club or adjust what went wrong the first time, don't completely remove it unless you cannot hit it at all. You cannot learn to hit it in real golf situations if you don't use it, I can swing it all day in the range and not miss, the. Get in the course and can't figure out how to hit it. You have to swing it in real situations to learn to hit it. Yes work on it on the range, but use it on the course too.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

What should you do when you start hitting your 3 wood better/more consistently than your driver?

I get more distance from my driver when I hit it very well. But when I'm not hitting the driver well, like the past couple no of weeks in particular, I get comparable distance (maybe even better) from my 3 wood off the tee with better accuracy.

Any thoughts and opinions?

In the same boat but I'm just using a 1i getting around 250-260. Every time I am hitting my irons very well driver suffers. For me I have a tendency to sway towards target and my head drifts toward target too so I'm hitting some pop ups.

Save yourself some time and get a lesson, if your satisfied with your swing with other clubs let the pro know they'll work around helping you with driver.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

In the same boat but I'm just using a 1i getting around 250-260. Every time I am hitting my irons very well driver suffers. For me I have a tendency to sway towards target and my head drifts toward target too so I'm hitting some pop ups.

Save yourself some time and get a lesson, if your satisfied with your swing with other clubs let the pro know they'll work around helping you with driver.

Funny you say that, because I had felt like I've been hitting my irons a bit better than usual. Why can't it all click at the same time? lol

Srixon Z545 Driver

Cleveland Classic 5 wood

Srixon H45 #4 Hybrid

Cleveland CBX 60° wedge

Srixon Z-Star XV

Why can't it all click at the same time?

Because golf.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

My guess is that you might be swinging down on the driver? If you have a negative angle of attack, the three wood will be the better option most of the time.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

With all due respect it really doesn't. I'm sorry but this is poor advice to follow. By all means hit the 4 iron while you learn to hit the driver but you are tossing strokes away by settling for this. I really don't care how long you hit the ball with your four iron you are giving away 50 yards to your potential thereby effectively making the course play 900 yards or 6 strokes more difficult at least. Of course there may be an occasional hole that calls for an iron off the tee but that's the exception not the norm.

Just go to your pro and learn how to hit the driver whatever that may mean. If it's fit right it is a very easy club to hit. On a tee, level lie - the problem is that it's not often fit properly, too long a shaft, not enough loft whatever.

This should be a relatively easy fix.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Find a driver that has a smaller cc head that you like looking at. Less than 460cc older ones can be found cheap usually. Get one that has a shaft you can swing and cut it down to around 44"....

The riddle will be on its way to being solved.

As others have said, until you figure out how to hit your driver, use the 3 wood.   It's what ever works, remember the often used statement-its not how but how many.   Unfortunately, I don't have the devil's club in my bag.   I have tried every 3 wood made for lefties and have yet to find one I can hit.  

Find a driver that has a smaller cc head that you like looking at. Less than 460cc older ones can be found cheap usually. Get one that has a shaft you can swing and cut it down to around 44"....

I truly agree with this. I have not had a 460cc driver in years because I tend to get sloppy with contact. Try 430 or 440 and it may appeal to your eye much more

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

If that's what your pro and fitter recommend for you.

Just remember that a solution that works for you or I may not work for him. However I agree that it's a very possible solution and great idea if he's not going pro/fitter.

I don't know why he wouldn't though. He may get off for under two hundred dollars. What if he goes for a $50 lesson, $100 fitting and the fitter determines he should get a shaft that costs $40 installed with a grip plus a tweak to the adjustable head?

He's spent $190 and has a whole new arsenal for his game.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I did a fitting and was matched with a new shaft into my SLDR. Generally hitting it pretty well, but after working on my irons more, I just started getting loose with the driver. Then I think it's a bit of over thinking mixed with making unnecessary adjustments to the configuration of the driver and now I'm over thinking and I've just started to lose confidence.

And I was noticing that I hit my 3 wood (Cleveland Classic XL) much straighter consistently and the distance is pretty good. I don't over think my 3 wood, there's no adjustments, I just step up and smack it.

Srixon Z545 Driver

Cleveland Classic 5 wood

Srixon H45 #4 Hybrid

Cleveland CBX 60° wedge

Srixon Z-Star XV

If that's what your pro and fitter recommend for you.

Just remember that a solution that works for you or I may not work for him. However I agree that it's a very possible solution and great idea if he's not going pro/fitter.

I don't know why he wouldn't though. He may get off for under two hundred dollars. What if he goes for a $50 lesson, $100 fitting and the fitter determines he should get a shaft that costs $40 installed with a grip plus a tweak to the adjustable head?

He's spent $190 and has a whole new arsenal for his game.

Of course you right on all accounts revkev.

A pro or fitter recommendation would usually not be of this nature. Shorter and smaller for the driver isnt the done, is it, except out on tour. Go figure.

It is something that was done on the range with those of us that had clubs to tinker with and the time and tools to do it, true enough. Very true about that that $40 shaft too, especially if you play an adjustable.

Lessons with the Driver that you can consistently hit the sweet spot with are what matter to me rather than trying to work a 46" off the shelf/fitted wompum stick that is changed and messed with every year or two while the ball, the 'no 1 ball in golf', anyway, has been changed every year or two to suit it. Or visa versa it has been said.

It is no surprise to me anymore when people struggle with that latest  $400 unit in their bag which has left them like a duck flying south for the winter. Which is also why the 2015 Pro V1 model was the last preferred ball out there while the Senoirs played one much older that had a black dot on the box and was kept in production for them. The 2015 is still a much sought after used ball for those that use them and know. Supposedly the new V1 is going or has gone back to that make up.

IMO Snell and maybe some others can be thanked for that.

Archived