Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Are you a good bunker player, how do you maintain the skill

Rusty1885

After watching Phil's video, I was determined to be a better bunker player. I practice every bunkers at our clubs even the fairway bunkers. I became very good at it. Almost as good as greenside pitch shots or chip shots.

However my default course management is to avoid bunkers and hazard, very few times I intentionally want to be in the bunker. I sometimes go 4-5 rounds without getting into a bunkers. It's a highly perishable skills. I found myself hitting the last few fat and barely made it on to the green.

I'd spend may be half an hour per week now practicing bunker shots I thought it was enough. I practice more bunkers shots than my driver and fairway woods combined yet I don't see any drop in performance on those like bunker shots.

Any thoughts?

Today's round went south real quick. So rather than keeping score I set up at distances I normally don't end up at.

My back yard is mostly sand, so I practice at least once a week with 40-50 yard bunker shots. And once or twice a week on "greenside" bunker blasts. Paid off, had a 40 yard bunker shot today. Ball hit the pin on the second hop and bounced back.

I was on that hole for 20 minutes or so, no one around. Picked a spot away from the pin and practiced 10-15 40 yarders, then a few greenside shots.

I used to hate being on the beach. Now I see why the bunker isn't necessarily a bad spot to be, unless plugged.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I actually prefer playing out of bunkers rather than rough - especially green side.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Just keep practicing them. Maybe turn it into a game and go at different pins with each shot or I like to just play leap frog, by hitting one short, then the next just over it and so on.

Good luck with it.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

My problem is more like first hit is not as good. If I'd dropped another ball i'll knock it stiffs more than half the time because I've practiced enough shots to be pretty at it. If I'm in bunker a lot my bunker play is pretty good, but I'd rather be on the green on approach shots.

One of the hick up I see is that the bunker shot requires different routine than any other shots. I worked so hard to get the rhythm on my routine I may have to find the way to do that on the sand shots.

I would rather be in a green side bunker then thick ruff.

I have always been fortunate with bunker play.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

My problem is more like first hit is not as good. If I'd dropped another ball i'll knock it stiffs more than half the time because I've practiced enough shots to be pretty at it. If I'm in bunker a lot my bunker play is pretty good, but I'd rather be on the green on approach shots.

One of the hick up I see is that the bunker shot requires different routine than any other shots. I worked so hard to get the rhythm on my routine I may have to find the way to do that on the sand shots.

I struggle in bunkers as well. I wonder if you have a shallow attack? That's my issue.

I've gotten much better at them the last five years or so by practicing and because I got different wedges. My SCOR 60 works great out of the trap with out going through the gyrations that lots of people teach. I actually try to use the same routine that I would for any short shot. I rehearse the swing and visualize out side the bunker and then go in, take my stance, picture the shot and let it rip.

I have a lot of trouble going from course to course though. I struggle a bit with remember the differences between sand types. Now that we've hit the rainy season it doesn't matter as much. Wet sand is wet sand. :).

I actually don't fear the sand as much as I used to and sometimes even try to take it on because I'm better off missing there than some place else.

I hope the routine comment helps and good luck.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm good in bunkers, meaning I'm proficient enough that I don't get concerned if I go in them. The best thing I learned was from Unconscious Scoring by Stockton, where he relates that Boris used to only focus on where he wanted the back of his club to end up in the sand. That's all I do now and it's worked well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Strengthening your grip (not tightness on the club but an actually "strong grip") will help you control the club-face more and splash it out

Players on tour that are your better bunker players always have a strong grip

And

Think about hitting through the sand like lighting a match. Head of the club is the match and the sand is the box

Just a quick thud like you're lighting a match

I struggle in bunkers as well. I wonder if you have a shallow attack? That's my issue.

I rehearse the swing and visualize out side the bunker and then go in, take my stance, picture the shot and let it rip.

I actually don't fear the sand as much as I used to and sometimes even try to take it on because I'm better off missing there than some place else.

I hope the routine comment helps and good luck.

Thanks rev, I have no fear of sand either, I consider sand shots to be easier because you don't have to hit the ball. You may be right about shallow angle of attack. Sometimes I couldn't help it I like to lay the club face all the way open and double cross by taking it inside flattening the arc.

I'll look out for it next time.

I'm good in bunkers, meaning I'm proficient enough that I don't get concerned if I go in them. The best thing I learned was from Unconscious Scoring by Stockton, where he relates that Boris used to only focus on where he wanted the back of his club to end up in the sand. That's all I do now and it's worked well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 seconds before I hit the ball, I look at the target, look at the ball, then let it go. No thinking. It's been working reall well for me. It helps me stay out of my way. The small issue was right before the 2 second, I take the exact practice swing and hold to visualize the shot. Just can't do that in the bunker.

I'm doing the Dave Pelz method like revkev, practice outside the bunker then step in and execute the shot.

Strengthening your grip (not tightness on the club but an actually "strong grip") will help you control the club-face more and splash it outPlayers on tour that are your better bunker players always have a strong gripAndThink about hitting through the sand like lighting a match. Head of the club is the match and the sand is the boxJust a quick thud like you're lighting a matchSent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Oh yeah I like the Gary Player's light the match move too, works really well in wet sand.

Thanks guys this has been an awesome refresher for me. I've come to love sand shots like the flop shots, just have to figure out the way to assimilate the preshot routine that work as well as my other shots.

My instructor had me tee balls just above the sand and practice hitting the tee under the ball. The higher on the tee you hit the less sand you take and the farther the ball will go. Made learning the technique simple for me.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

practice practice & then more practice!

how many people do you actually see practicing this at the range when you go?  Even if they have one (some don't) but I rarely if ever see anyone in the bunker/practice area.  Everyone is always beating balls.  Then they wonder why they suck at sand play?  Go figure 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

practice practice & then more practice!

how many people do you actually see practicing this at the range when you go?  Even if they have one (some don't) but I rarely if ever see anyone in the bunker/practice area.  Everyone is always beating balls.  Then they wonder why they suck at sand play?  Go figure 

There is a middle-aged lady at my course.  Lefty.  She hits a large bucket of balls out of the practice greenside bunker each day.  She's quite good at it.  Then she picks them up and heads to the range  with them.  Her mother sits in a chair and watches her.  I have never seen her play a round of golf in the 2 years I have been at this course; maybe she plays at a different course or maybe she just loves to practice.

The old course I used to play had no bunkers so I never practiced sand shots.  Since I traveled a lot and played golf all over the country, I was really horrible out of bunkers.  My current course has quite a few bunkers, and I am in them more than I want to be.  I have practiced greenside bunker shots a lot, so they are not really a problem.  However, since I started practicing these shots, I am horrible out of fairway bunkers; I take too much sand.  Periodically, I will head out onto the course when it is empty and hit balls out of the bunkers on the #6 par 5.  It helps and I should do more of it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There is a middle-aged lady at my course.  Lefty.  She hits a large bucket of balls out of the practice greenside bunker each day.  She's quite good at it.  Then she picks them up and heads to the range  with them.  Her mother sits in a chair and watches her.  I have never seen her play a round of golf in the 2 years I have been at this course; maybe she plays at a different course or maybe she just loves to practice.

The old course I used to play had no bunkers so I never practiced sand shots.  Since I traveled a lot and played golf all over the country, I was really horrible out of bunkers.  My current course has quite a few bunkers, and I am in them more than I want to be.  I have practiced greenside bunker shots a lot, so they are not really a problem.  However, since I started practicing these shots, I am horrible out of fairway bunkers; I take too much sand.  Periodically, I will head out onto the course when it is empty and hit balls out of the bunkers on the #6 par 5.  It helps and I should do more of it.

Oh my home course has beautiful bunkers in all sizes from pot bunkers to large deep bunker to flat low lips greenside bunker. I practice all of them, still do. The middle sections of each 9 get lots off practice because I can see other member coming up an it allows me some time to gather my balls and fix the ball marks.

I consider myself a strong bunker player. My key is keeping my weight on my front foot and I try to maintain a flatter swing and trying to make a thump sound on the sand (if that makes sense). My best streak for an up and down from the sand is 9 in a row.

What's in the bag::

Driver: Ping G 9.0 set -1

Fairway: Adams Tight Lies Titanium 3 wood

Hybrid: Ping G 19*

Irons: Taylormade RSI 2 4-PW

Taylormade UDI 2

Wedge: Edel 50

Edel 56

Edel 60--currently not in the bag

Putter: Betintardi BB1F

There is a middle-aged lady at my course. Lefty. She hits a large bucket of balls out of the practice greenside bunker each day. She's quite good at it. Then she picks them up and heads to the range with them. Her mother sits in a chair and watches her. I have never seen her play a round of golf in the 2 years I have been at this course; maybe she plays at a different course or maybe she just loves to practice.

The old course I used to play had no bunkers so I never practiced sand shots. Since I traveled a lot and played golf all over the country, I was really horrible out of bunkers. My current course has quite a few bunkers, and I am in them more than I want to be. I have practiced greenside bunker shots a lot, so they are not really a problem. However, since I started practicing these shots, I am horrible out of fairway bunkers; I take too much sand. Periodically, I will head out onto the course when it is empty and hit balls out of the bunkers on the #6 par 5. It helps and I should do more of it.

I've had this issue as well so I've started incorporating practice out of the fairway trap to my range sessions. We have a great practice area. You can hit any shot imaginable on it including out of water. I don't do that one. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived