Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

The etiquette of carts on the green

chemclub

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm stunned by this entire thread. I know you'd be gone for a month at my club first offense and have your membership revoked on the second one.

This goes so against the grain that it's hard to comment. Perhaps it is true that it causes no damage to the green and speeds play. If that's the opinion of the club it should be posted that it's not only okay but expected because very few people would think of doing it.

Golf etiquette BTW is nothing more than common sense. As a golfer I owe it to a novice playing companion to politely teach him or her proper etiquette. I will always quietly instruct when I see a significant breach and explain why. I also do bizarre things like hold doors open for people, help them with their groceries, say please and thank you. Compliment them when they are doing a good job. Another words I try to treat them as I would wish to be treated.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think it's another piece of the overall concept that we call "evolution of the game" or "growing the game"...

We had a recent thread that got really heated because some folks don't see a problem with music blaring on the course.

We had a recent thread that also got heated because people didn't agree on whether technology had gone too far, to the point where pros basically play with driver/wedge/putter.

Now we have disrespect/laziness being shrouded in "pace of play"...

So here's the guy - music playing on his bluetooth speaker, hits a 320 yard drive 50 yards right of the fairway... walks up to his ball, checks the gps... checks the range finder... takes 6 practice swings, changes clubs... 6 more practice swings... finally hits it, and heads for the green... pushes his cart right up to the ball "to speed up pace of play", putts out... stands there for awhile to update stats on the gps app.

But don't you dare talk about respect or complain - you'll get the "get off my lawn" argument...

I'm stunned by this entire thread. I know you'd be gone for a month at my club first offense and have your membership revoked on the second one.

This goes so against the grain that it's hard to comment. Perhaps it is true that it causes no damage to the green and speeds play. If that's the opinion of the club it should be posted that it's not only okay but expected because very few people would think of doing it.

Golf etiquette BTW is nothing more than common sense. As a golfer I owe it to a novice playing companion to politely teach him or her proper etiquette. I will always quietly instruct when I see a significant breach and explain why. I also do bizarre things like hold doors open for people, help them with their groceries, say please and thank you. Compliment them when they are doing a good job. Another words I try to treat them as I would wish to be treated.

Can I get an Amen?  Preach it bruther  :D 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I think it's another piece of the overall concept that we call "evolution of the game" or "growing the game"...

We had a recent thread that got really heated because some folks don't see a problem with music blaring on the course.

We had a recent thread that also got heated because people didn't agree on whether technology had gone too far, to the point where pros basically play with driver/wedge/putter.

So here's the guy - music playing on his bluetooth speaker, hits a 320 yard drive 50 yards right of the fairway... walks up to his ball, checks the gps... checks the range finder... takes 6 practice swings, changes clubs... 6 more practice swings... finally hits it, and heads for the green... pushes his cart right up to the ball "to speed up pace of play", putts out... stands there for awhile to update stats on the gps app.

But don't you dare talk about respect or complain - you'll get the "get off my lawn" argument...

That was a mic drop post right there.

Great point, but I disagree somewhat because I don't see it as disrespect/laziness. The only thing it seems to be hurting is tradition.

Like when I was growing up I called all adults Mr/Mrs/Ms. My kids now call adults by their first name. It isn't meant in disrespect. It's just different and not hurting anything but tradition (...and the basic fabric of human decency ;) ).

I suspect this will be a generational thing.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

You mentioned click gear wheels so where do you draw the line? Only clic gear can go across all greens or do you list which cart companies are ok to go across greens. It appears you do not want to confront your playing partner. It is our job to keep greens, fairways and tees the way you left them for the next people to play. Common golf etiquette needs to be the norm and not the exception.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

You mentioned click gear wheels so where do you draw the line? Only clic gear can go across all greens or do you list which cart companies are ok to go across greens. It appears you do not want to confront your playing partner. It is our job to keep greens, fairways and tees the way you left them for the next people to play. Common golf etiquette needs to be the norm and not the exception.

I think most modern carts would be absolutely fine. I'm sure someone can find the exception to prove me wrong, but the cart and bag simply don't weigh enough so that the wheels with their mild tread would do any damage.

I guess I didn't confront my playing partner because I was more lost in thought about why it is a problem. It only started recently so I'll ask him at our next game. If he comes back with "It doesn't hurt the green" I think I will have to agree.

I guess I am just not a very sentimental person. To me, the green is not holy ground. It is a piece of well-manicured grass on which we tap little balls around using metal stick thingies.

I don't see greens as sacred. That's a bit much. Fragile is the word I'd use. It makes sense that clubs generally weigh less than 40-50lbs, so they will not harm the green. But it would be very difficult for me to push my cart across one. It's just a habit that's ingrained too deep.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I think most modern carts would be absolutely fine. I'm sure someone can find the exception to prove me wrong, but the cart and bag simply don't weigh enough so that the wheels with their mild tread would do any damage.

I guess I didn't confront my playing partner because I was more lost in thought about why it is a problem. It only started recently so I'll ask him at our next game. If he comes back with "It doesn't hurt the green" I think I will have to agree.

I guess I am just not a very sentimental person. To me, the green is not holy ground. It is a piece of well-manicured grass on which we tap little balls around using metal stick thingies.

Okay, I see your point. Maybe carts won't leave tire treads and rip up the green. BUT, one of the main reasons they change pin locations is to let the green "rest." Constant movement on, and contact with the putting surface will definitely take its toll, in the long run.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Okay, I see your point. Maybe carts won't leave tire treads and rip up the green. BUT, one of the main reasons they change pin locations is to let the green "rest." Constant movement on, and contact with the putting surface will definitely take its toll, in the long run.

I just think that foot steps around the hole are the major thing the greens need rest from. The lightweight cart is an afterthought.

I want to be clear. Despite what I have said here, I still don't cross the green. As mentioned earlier, when I tried rolling my cart across a small sliver of the green... I nearly fainted.

Please still park your cart on the side facing the next tee...

But what if that means you then have to walk across the green to get to your ball? What is better? Walking across and then back to your bag, or crossing only once with your cart?

I just think that foot steps around the hole are the major thing the greens need rest from. The lightweight cart is an afterthought.

I want to be clear. Despite what I have said here, I still don't cross the green. As mentioned earlier, when I tried rolling my cart across a small sliver of the green... I nearly fainted.

Please still park your cart on the side facing the next tee.

... It is an interesting topic and I am not surprised by old and young curmudgeons. I fix multiple ball marks on every green, replace my divots and take off my hat to shake hands at the end of the round. Golf is my passion and I will play util I drop like Jack Lemon in Bagger Vance. After having it proven to me by the Australian greenskeeper that rolling a cart across the green is better than rolling it on a path many take to the next hole which actually does cause damage, I became a believer. And will roll my cart across the green if the hole dictates I do so but only if I am alone. But I have to admit, it is so engrained in my soul that even though I know it is better for the course, I still feel a little uneasy doing it. As you said, foot prints, especially from heavier players do damage to the green, especially around the hole where many tend to step instead of reaching from a few feet away. 

... Here is another interesting, goes against the grain piece of knowledge. I used to play golf with the Head Greenskeeper of Prairie Landing, an upscale course in the Chicago suburbs and he said he would rather you drive your riding cart on the fairway NOT the rough. As long as the fairways are not wet, they take the abuse much better than the rough, especially area's where everyone tends to ride. That was an eye opener for me too. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

The person that rolls their cart across the green is the same person that throws their putter after missing a 3 foot double bogey, never fixes a pitch mark , and drags their feet while they're walking. Now you know how I feel about it.

What ever happened to this being a "Gentlemans game"?

Class and etiquette…… I'll take things that can't be bought for $1,Alex.

So I brought this up to our Super during lunch today.  He had some very insightful (as usual) thoughts on it. 

He doesn't like it and thinks it's rude and inconsiderate to the course and other golfers. 

Does it damage the green:  No, but it will leave tracks, no matter what anyone says.  Will they be enough to disrupt a putt, most likely not.  But any traffic or pressure on a green is going to just create needless stress on the green.  Matter of fact he instructs his crew to not walk on the greens when they are working around them.  Such as going from bunker to bunker, not to walk straight across the green, but to walk around the perimeter in the rough. 

In short anything that can be done to minimize traffic on the green will only help them stay healthy and recover in the long run.   For the record, he feels the same way about people who leave their carry bags on the green for the same reason. 

I'm not saying he's the be all authority.  But his reasoning seemed to make sense to me. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• SPY VIP

So I brought this up to our Super during lunch today.  He had some very insightful (as usual) thoughts on it. 

He doesn't like it and thinks it's rude and inconsiderate to the course and other golfers. 

Does it damage the green:  No, but it will leave tracks, no matter what anyone says.  Will they be enough to disrupt a putt, most likely not.  But any traffic or pressure on a green is going to just create needless stress on the green.  Matter of fact he instructs his crew to not walk on the greens when they are working around them.  Such as going from bunker to bunker, not to walk straight across the green, but to walk around the perimeter in the rough. 

In short anything that can be done to minimize traffic on the green will only help them stay healthy and recover in the long run.   For the record, he feels the same way about people who leave their carry bags on the green for the same reason. 

I'm not saying he's the be all authority.  But his reasoning seemed to make sense to me. 

Very, very wise man.

Like I say, why risk it?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

People constantly whine and ****** about green conditions, why would you want to add one more potentially negative variable to the equation?

... I will refrain from addressing you as Barnie Fife (however apropos) and reiterate it is not a negative. You are free of course to imagine Lexi rolling her push cart thru the green creating great troughs and purposefully moving her ball mark with the tires.  ;)  Of course don't take my word or Bandon Dunes or Royal Melbourne or ...

http://www.myusualgame.com/2012/08/22/push-carts-on-tee-boxes-on-greens/

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

• SPY VIP

... I will refrain from addressing you as Barnie Fife (however apropos) and reiterate it is not a negative. You are free of course to imagine Lexi rolling her push cart thru the green creating great troughs and purposefully moving her ball mark with the tires.  ;)  Of course don't take my word or Bandon Dunes or Royal Melbourne or ...

http://www.myusualgame.com/2012/08/22/push-carts-on-tee-boxes-on-greens/

Yes, it's a well known fact it's all fine and dandy on fescue style course greens that play more natural, but on your typical modern greens I'm sure it's a much different story.  :mellow:  :huh:  ^_^  :o  ;)  :P  :D  :lol:  B)  :rolleyes:  -_-  :)

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Yes, it's a well known fact it's all fine and dandy on fescue style course greens that play more natural, but on your typical modern greens I'm sure it's a much different story. :mellow: :huh: ^_^ :o ;) :P :D :lol: B) :rolleyes: -_- :)

Dayuummmm you're good with avatars! I see a new hero on my horizon

Cleveland

The smarmyness is thick in here

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

The person that rolls their cart across the green is the same person that throws their putter after missing a 3 foot double bogey, never fixes a pitch mark , and drags their feet while they're walking. Now you know how I feel about it.

What ever happened to this being a "Gentlemans game"?

Class and etiquette…… I'll take things that can't be bought for $1,Alex.

I'll send you a d!ck pic for $1. 😂

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

I'll send you a d!ck pic for $1. 😂

It goes down in the DMs

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Long story short, pushing carts across the green just doesn't look good, it's bad etiquette, and it can cause damage to the green, all of which can easily be avoided simply by walking around.

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

• SPY VIP

Long story short, pushing carts across the green just doesn't look good, it's bad etiquette, and it can cause damage to the green, all of which can easily be avoided simply by walking around.

This dun sounds reel smarts

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I'll send you a d!ck pic for $1.

Three dimensional

Cleveland

From my perspective there is a difference between a "genuine golfer" and a "wanna be golfer".    That difference has nothing to do with ability or score.   Rather a "genuine golfer" not only applies the etiquette of the game, but just as importantly, has a respect for and a desire to protect the venue on which it is played.   Whether they shoot 63 or 103, a genuine golfer will replace their divots, fix ball marks and will never pull or push a cart across the green.  Again, a genuine golf will never do anything purposefully to harm the venue on which they play, whether such actions are real or perceived.   Granted, some "wanna be" golfers can shoot some rather low scores, but if they don't respect the course and until they do, they will remain just someone that goes to the course and may shoot a good round.  

Archived