Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The etiquette of carts on the green

chemclub

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not see the green as holy ground but do expect it to be left in great shape. Many of us regardless of age play competitively with weekend nassau's to club tournaments. If someone leaves an impression on the greens that causes your ball to go off line it is frustrating. If all golf courses change their rules and decide every golfer can roll their carts across the greens then I will conform because obviously I do not get it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I think most modern carts would be absolutely fine. I'm sure someone can find the exception to prove me wrong, but the cart and bag simply don't weigh enough so that the wheels with their mild tread would do any damage.

I guess I didn't confront my playing partner because I was more lost in thought about why it is a problem. It only started recently so I'll ask him at our next game. If he comes back with "It doesn't hurt the green" I think I will have to agree.

I guess I am just not a very sentimental person. To me, the green is not holy ground. It is a piece of well-manicured grass on which we tap little balls around using metal stick thingies.

Uuuugh, get off my lawn!!!

JK, but in all seriousness, I am not sure where you play or its condition. Maybe the greens are s*** to begin with so it really doesn't matter. That said, if you attempted at any tour quality venue, you would be in for a immediate stern response. Regardless of what you think, greens in general are the most difficult thing to maintain on the course. Those of us who are lucky enough to play on pure surfaces want to keep them that way. Nothing worse than watching a putt bump it's way to the hole. Trust me, push carts would damage the greens long term and it is never ok.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• SPY VIP

Not sure why there is this debate. Just ask the course what their policy is about carts on the green. Bandon Dunes wants them on the greens for example.

It's like cart path only holes for power carts. Just follow the rules of the course and all will be well.

Keeping the cart off of the green will give you the space you need to fish the ball out of the cup with your putter anyway.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Part of the problem is "those"golfers are there​ just for all the wrong reasons. It's not a love of the game, an enjoyment of the beauty on the course, or a chance to better their score. It's see who can get the most drunk first, or who can get the cart girls number first, or who has to pee on the course first. SAD

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

True gentleman rise above. We are discussing a "game" for which gentility was a foundation, not the sole purpose. If you have ever set foot on a putting surface wearing soft spikes, you have no business commenting on the "potential" for push cart damage. Every single superintendent in the business will tell you they'd prefer all golfers wore sneakers with lugless soles. So, does your "need" for full swing traction absolve you from the _undeniable_ damage to putting surfaces caused by your spikes?

I always leave the course in better condition than I found it and never push my cart across a green. But I'm certain it would cause zero damage if I did. Suggesting personal beliefs on this particular subject is _the delineator_ between proper gentlemen and "those other types" is the height of absurdity.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

If the thread is about the new found evidence of the lack of damage done to the green by modern push cart and that more and more keepers and supers adopted the practice, I'd respect that.

It was not. It was about time saving and pace.

If the thread is about the new found evidence of the lack of damage done to the green by modern push cart and that more and more keepers and supers adopted the practice, I'd respect that.

It was not. It was about time saving and pace.

I'm glad we cleared that up. If time saving and pace is your #1 aim in golf, then just drive up to the hole in a cart and putt out whilst in motion - obviously you will need need at least 18 balls per round. Your loss, someone else's gain I guess. But at least you saved at least 10 seconds per hole right? You could use that spare time to write a new topic on the subject, "using the 1st tee to park your car - yes or no?"

True gentleman rise above. We are discussing a "game" for which gentility was a foundation, not the sole purpose. If you have ever set foot on a putting surface wearing soft spikes, you have no business commenting on the "potential" for push cart damage. Every single superintendent in the business will tell you they'd prefer all golfers wore sneakers with lugless soles. So, does your "need" for full swing traction absolve you from the _undeniable_ damage to putting surfaces caused by your spikes?

I always leave the course in better condition than I found it and never push my cart across a green. But I'm certain it would cause zero damage if I did. Suggesting personal beliefs on this particular subject is _the delineator_ between proper gentlemen and "those other types" is the height of absurdity.

... Amen. I have to admit that while I am not exactly shocked at the responses, I am at least a little surprised. Golf always has drawn those with a conservative nature as opposed to those with a more liberal life view (not talking politics) but the adamant views in the face of contrary evidence is a little baffling. 

... I remember thinking walking on someone's line was a silly tradition when I first started playing until I saw a demonstration using a putting machine making 10 out of 10 putts and then Pelz walked on the line heel first like most walk and the putting machine only made 6 out of 10. Changed my mind instantly. 

... Now we have greenskeepers from different parts of the world, as well as right here in the US saying rolling a cart does no damage but anyone walking on the green does. Yet many here claim only the worst of society would engage in this disgusting behavior. I certainly get tradition is hard to overcome. I get many courses forbid rolling a cart on the green. What I don't get is so many refusing to even consider it is perfectly OK even if they would never personally do it. I am the exact opposite of the kind of golfer being portrayed by many here. I love the game and it's traditions. I fix my ball mark and usually several others on every green. I replace my divots. I take off my hat and shake hands at the end of every round. I go to the PGA Show every year and have a reverence for golf equipment and the many courses I play. I taught for 5 years with the IPGA. 

... I don't drink or smoke and imagine there are more than a few posting in this thread that have left cigar ash on a green or a butt on the course not to mention stinking up what should be a pristine, clean air experience. Or held up play to flag down a cart girl for another drink who drives her beverage cart where she should not, over curbs and near greens and almost right on tee boxes. Yes, I get rolling a cart on a green is just too radical for some here and have zero problem with them saying they personally would never do it. But again, I am just a little surprised at how adamant some are that it is bad for the game or the greens when experts say it is not. I have seen a demonstration on a bent gras green that proved just walking was damaging to the green and rolling carts were not, yet that seems to fall on deaf ears. I have probably only done it 5 times or so and only when alone and yea, it did feel a little strange, but it was preferable to taking the only path available around a green that literally everyone takes creating a rut on the grass right next to the green. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... Amen. I have to admit that while I am not exactly shocked at the responses, I am at least a little surprised. Golf always has drawn those with a conservative nature as opposed to those with a more liberal life view (not talking politics) but the adamant views in the face of contrary evidence is very baffling.

... I remember thinking walking on someone's line was a silly tradition when I first started playing until I saw a demonstration using a putting machine making 10 out of 10 putts and then Pelz walked on the line heel first like most walk and the putting machine only made 6 out of 10. Changed my mind instantly.

... Now we have greenskeepers from different parts of the world, as well as right here in the US saying rolling a cart does no damage but anyone walking on the green does. Yet many here claim only the worst of society would engage in this disgusting behavior. I certainly get tradition is hard to overcome. I get many courses forbid rolling a cart on the green. What I don't get is so many refusing to even consider it is perfectly OK even if they would never personally do it. I am the exact opposite of the kind of golfer being portrayed by many here. I love the game and it's traditions. I fix my ball mark and usually several others on every green. I replace my divots. I take off my hat and shake hands at the end of every round. I go to the PGA Show every year and have a reverence for golf equipment and the many courses I play. I taught for 5 years with the IPGA.

... I don't drink or smoke and imagine there are more than a few posting in this thread that have left cigar ash on a green or a butt on the course not to mention stinking up what should be a pristine, clean air experience. Or held up play to flag down a cart girl for another drink who drives her beverage cart where she should not, over curbs and near greens and almost right on tee boxes. Yes, I get rolling a cart on a green is just too radical for some here and have zero problem with them saying they personally would never do it. But again, I am jut a little surprised at how adamant some are that it is bad for the game or the greens when experts say it is not. I have seen a demonstration on a bent gras green that proved just walking was damaging to the green and rolling carts were not, yet that seems to fall on deaf ears. I have probably only done it 5 times or so and only when alone and yea, it did feel a little strange, but it was preferable to taking the only path available around a green that literally everyone takes creating a rut on the grass right next to the green.

I'm one of those that smokes a cigar while golfing, but only if the others in the group I am with are ok with it. I have never put my ashes on the green but k have cleaned the green of ashes from someone else. I have seen more cigarette butts on tee boxes or greens than cigar ash.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

One of the grounds workers must do it because I'm usually first out in the mornings but sunflower seed shells are on a lot of the greens thus season. Drives me nuts. There's so many of them and they're all over the green

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Oh, I get it! "Drives me nuts..." Good one!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I do believe it was at his course so maybe that makes it ok

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

hmmmm.... I wonder what we would get if we superimposed this thread with the thread on chipping on the green.  

to some the green is sacred ground - feet & putter only - I'd bet that those are the same that wouldn't ever even think about chipping on the green... but maybe I'm wrong.  

It would be a tough argument to defend - allow rolling carts on the green with a minor chance of damage but it is okay to chip your ball with a much higher chance at damaging the green.

Maybe it comes down to whether it has an impact on your score?  perhaps a 1 stroke penalty for having anything besides feet and a putter on the green????

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

If I'm a member I wouldn't care if he owns the course, id call him a flipping idiot.

For someone who golfs A LOT and owns courses he should know better.

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

If I'm a member I wouldn't care if he owns the course, id call him a flipping idiot.

For someone who golfs A LOT and owns courses he should know better.

Hopefully without stirring up an already dicey political climate I will only offer this, knowing better doesn't necessarily equate to doing better. But it's special brand of a-hole that knows better and consciously strives for worse. Alas, trying to explain perspective to a narcissist is a largely futile endeavor.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Maybe we should draft an executive order. 😃

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Guess they need to hand clip the greens. Mowers may be too much for the green to handle. 😂

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

I use a cliqgear too and never ever ever ever push it across the green. You really should avoid contacting the green as much as possible. ie: bag, cart, clubs, towels, your feet when it's not your turn, etc.

Just because your marks aren't in your playing partners line, that doesn't mean they won't affect golfers coming through later in the day. If they're doing it for the sake of saving time, they should try keeping the ball in the fairway.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• 1 month later...

I play with a guy who pushes his cart across the green whenever it may be convenient—in the name of fast play to the next tee.

I don't necessarily have a problem with it. Clicgear wheels are wide and smooth. A foot step from a 200 lb guy likely makes a deeper depression. Plus there are always people with aggressive "soft spikes" who don't know how to walk and tear things up.

But it still always gives me pause. I guess I was just raised to push the cart around the green and I still push it in such a way as to be closest to the next tee.

Anyone else cross the green?

(Please provide name of the course you play so I can call the marshall on you)

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Archived