chemclub

The etiquette of carts on the green

Yes, it's a well known fact it's all fine and dandy on fescue style course greens that play more natural, but on your typical modern greens I'm sure it's a much different story. :mellow: :huh: ^_^ :o ;) :P :D :lol: B) :rolleyes: -_- :)

Dayuummmm you're good with avatars! I see a new hero on my horizon

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Yes, it's a well known fact it's all fine and dandy on fescue style course greens that play more natural, but on your typical modern greens I'm sure it's a much different story. :mellow: :huh: ^_^ :o ;) :P :D :lol: B) :rolleyes: -_- :)

You said "fescue style", but I think you meant fancy painted hardpan.

• Like 2

The person that rolls their cart across the green is the same person that throws their putter after missing a 3 foot double bogey, never fixes a pitch mark , and drags their feet while they're walking. Now you know how I feel about it.

What ever happened to this being a "Gentlemans game"?

Class and etiquette…… I'll take things that can't be bought for $1,Alex.

I'll send you a d!ck pic for $1. 😂

• Like 3

I'll send you a d!ck pic for $1. 😂

It goes down in the DMs

• Like 2

Long story short, pushing carts across the green just doesn't look good, it's bad etiquette, and it can cause damage to the green, all of which can easily be avoided simply by walking around.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Long story short, pushing carts across the green just doesn't look good, it's bad etiquette, and it can cause damage to the green, all of which can easily be avoided simply by walking around.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This dun sounds reel smarts

• Like 1

To be fair, some courses could see some benefit from people wheeling carts across the greens

• Like 1

From my perspective there is a difference between a "genuine golfer" and a "wanna be golfer".    That difference has nothing to do with ability or score.   Rather a "genuine golfer" not only applies the etiquette of the game, but just as importantly, has a respect for and a desire to protect the venue on which it is played.   Whether they shoot 63 or 103, a genuine golfer will replace their divots, fix ball marks and will never pull or push a cart across the green.  Again, a genuine golf will never do anything purposefully to harm the venue on which they play, whether such actions are real or perceived.   Granted, some "wanna be" golfers can shoot some rather low scores, but if they don't respect the course and until they do, they will remain just someone that goes to the course and may shoot a good round.  

• Like 5

Rolling carts a gross the green is like how a few people snap the finger or whistle to get the waiters at restaurants. Judge. Please judge!

I do not see the green as holy ground but do expect it to be left in great shape. Many of us regardless of age play competitively with weekend nassau's to club tournaments. If someone leaves an impression on the greens that causes your ball to go off line it is frustrating. If all golf courses change their rules and decide every golfer can roll their carts across the greens then I will conform because obviously I do not get it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Ok, here is the big difference.

Walking on the green is a necessity. Cart is not.

• Like 4

I think most modern carts would be absolutely fine. I'm sure someone can find the exception to prove me wrong, but the cart and bag simply don't weigh enough so that the wheels with their mild tread would do any damage.

I guess I didn't confront my playing partner because I was more lost in thought about why it is a problem. It only started recently so I'll ask him at our next game. If he comes back with "It doesn't hurt the green" I think I will have to agree.

I guess I am just not a very sentimental person. To me, the green is not holy ground. It is a piece of well-manicured grass on which we tap little balls around using metal stick thingies.

Uuuugh, get off my lawn!!!

JK, but in all seriousness, I am not sure where you play or its condition. Maybe the greens are s*** to begin with so it really doesn't matter. That said, if you attempted at any tour quality venue, you would be in for a immediate stern response. Regardless of what you think, greens in general are the most difficult thing to maintain on the course. Those of us who are lucky enough to play on pure surfaces want to keep them that way. Nothing worse than watching a putt bump it's way to the hole. Trust me, push carts would damage the greens long term and it is never ok.

• Like 2

Not sure why there is this debate. Just ask the course what their policy is about carts on the green. Bandon Dunes wants them on the greens for example.

It's like cart path only holes for power carts. Just follow the rules of the course and all will be well.

Keeping the cart off of the green will give you the space you need to fish the ball out of the cup with your putter anyway.

• Like 3

Part of the problem is "those"golfers are there​ just for all the wrong reasons. It's not a love of the game, an enjoyment of the beauty on the course, or a chance to better their score. It's see who can get the most drunk first, or who can get the cart girls number first, or who has to pee on the course first. SAD

planet earth

I think this can be put in the file thats real big. Containing rake in or out of bunkers.. Chicken or egg 1st..oh, don't forget the iron headcovers debate

etc.

• Like 5

True gentleman rise above. We are discussing a "game" for which gentility was a foundation, not the sole purpose. If you have ever set foot on a putting surface wearing soft spikes, you have no business commenting on the "potential" for push cart damage. Every single superintendent in the business will tell you they'd prefer all golfers wore sneakers with lugless soles. So, does your "need" for full swing traction absolve you from the _undeniable_ damage to putting surfaces caused by your spikes?

I always leave the course in better condition than I found it and never push my cart across a green. But I'm certain it would cause zero damage if I did. Suggesting personal beliefs on this particular subject is _the delineator_ between proper gentlemen and "those other types" is the height of absurdity.

• Like 3

Greens are like online forums, you need to tiptoe around and be gentle with them, or you'll find a sensitive spot and it will get exploited.  ;)

• Like 6

If the thread is about the new found evidence of the lack of damage done to the green by modern push cart and that more and more keepers and supers adopted the practice, I'd respect that.

It was not. It was about time saving and pace.