TSauer

Last thought before you swing, what is it?

I am in the nothing camp.  If I am struggling,  it  might be a thought about tempo.

Been thinking about this one more. My golf "me" has multiple personality disorder. Heck, maybe I do in general (I'll make an appointment). Sometimes I think "nice and easy" but then something turns me, like the Dark side of the force and says "swing for the Death Star" and normally ends up bad.

My new swing thought for the rest of the summer is going to be "if you build it, they will come" as in build a good swing and the great shots will come. At least that's my plan.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Don't shank it!  

Seriously .... I don't think of anything except smooth takeaway, light grip pressure, & deep breath & exhale.  Then swing away

• Like 3

Depends on the shot I want to hit. If it's a tee shot. I am visualizing the shot type. Draw or fade. If it's a shot where I am trying to be accurate, say 82 yards to the flag I just think of that number and let my body respond.

I'm in that nothing mindset. Pre shot I look for something in the distance I want to aim at. I'll take a practice swing or two and then I set up to the ball and swing away.

• Like 1

It usually goes like this.. Put tee in ground, is that the right height?  there set ball on tee, Look where I WANT to hit it too, take grip of club, address ball, Think to self "DO NOT F THIS UP".. Look again to where I want it to go.. look at ball swing, watch ball go somewhere other then where I wanted.. use colorful language, grab tee (if its ok) walk away.. Or at least that's how I feel it goes, But really -

Generally nothing.. I prefer to have nothing in my head.. so that I do not let my brain try to compensate for things.. 

• Like 2

A simple prayer: 'Please lord don't let me whiff the ball'

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

"The ball will go where it goes". I started saying this to myself and it got me to relax a little bit which I'm assuming frees up my swing a little bit. I'm the absolute king of staring at the ball for 15 seconds overthinking everything

• Like 1

Keep my head down and have nice easy tempo

NOT LEFT!!!

Seriously, I try to have only one swing thought. It changes almost daily, but usually it's some form of "release" because I have a tendency to hold on (thus the high fade).

• Like 1

Turn and turn.

Was hitting some horrible pulls and hooks, so I booked a few lessons with the pro at my course and one thing he noticed was I wasn't turning my hips or my hands as much as one should in the backswing which explained the constant misses left. Funny... It only took 7-10 swings for him to figure it out and like magic the ball goes straight!!! Spent the 30 odd minutes left in the lesson working on other little stuff, then grabbed a large bucket when I was done and focused on those 2 things

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

My last swing thought is a follow through, I want to be sure I finish my swing, I imagine my finish, swinging to it rhythmically. It counters my tendency to sometimes try to hit the ball

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

This is a great thread I am laughing because with me there must be a thousand things I am thinking about but I have been trying to get it to one....I have to think hit the ball low...that helps me keep my hands slightly before the club face at impact