Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Most Unique Thing About Your Home Course

Haha! I would probably get lost there. I got confused just reading your post :)

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

When I was an air traffic controller (about 100 years ago), we had to write a big 'N' on one of the windows because I kept messing it up. True story...

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My course is Columbia Point GC and it's near the Columbia River.  About 20 years ago the city hired an GC architect and he ripped up a very nice 18-hole Par 66 course with a lot of trees.  There was also a 9-hole par 3 course and driving range. I learned to play golf on that course.  It's was on the edge of town and the city wanted to develop the Point.  Yacht Club is down the street.

"I bet they'd love a great shopping mall right here!

Condos over there.  Plenty of parking.

I tell you, country clubs and cemeteries are the biggest wasters of prime real estate."

Not overly long, but it's a challenging course that gives you uneven lies, especially if you miss the fairways, and even if you don't you rarely find a flat lie.  Oh yeah, when they dug it up, they found an Native American burial ground, so we now have a cemetery off the #10 fairway.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 things about my home course Diamondback Golf Club. First, I'm in west central Texas and it's mostly flat but the course is built on a very unique spot with some ravens and some significant elevation change. I bring out clients to play often and they are blown away that anything like it exists in my area. It looks more like you are in the hill country of central Texas.

Second. The course is designed and owned by the 71 Masters champion Charles Coody. I am out there often so we have become friends and it's pretty awesome to hear stories about the course and his win

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Ping G30 9* Stiff

Fairway Wood: Taylormade RBZ 13* Stiff

Hybrids: Adams A3OS 3 & 4

Irons: Ping I20 Purple Dot 1/2" short 2* flat

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 56, 60

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

2 things about my home course Diamondback Golf Club. First, I'm in west central Texas and it's mostly flat but the course is built on a very unique spot with some ravens and some significant elevation change. I bring out clients to play often and they are blown away that anything like it exists in my area. It looks more like you are in the hill country of central Texas.

Second. The course is designed and owned by the 71 Masters champion Charles Coody. I am out there often so we have become friends and it's pretty awesome to hear stories about the course and his win

That is awesome!

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

My home course is Green County CC. Not one single level spot on the whole thing. Every shot is above or below your feet. Every hole has a little dogleg with 3 of them complete 90 degree turns. I used to think it wasn't much of a course because it's only 9 holes. But after playing courses all over KY and some in surrounding states it's one of the hardest I've played.

CobraConnectChallenge3

At the Logan Country Club, we have  a beautiful 275 yd par 4 over a sheer cliff leading down to a lake. It's got a small green, so the choice is between going for it and risking losing a ball to the dam below, or laying up with an iron, and getting it on in two. It's a blast to play

At the Logan Country Club, we have a beautiful 275 yd par 4 over a sheer cliff leading down to a lake. It's got a small green, so the choice is between going for it and risking losing a ball to the dam below, or laying up with an iron, and getting it on in two. It's a blast to play

You have a pic? Sounds super fun!

Royal Wellington golf club inNew Zealand.

Hosting the Asia Pacific Amateur Championship this coming October.

It will be televised live so I'm sure many of you will get to see it.

Course prep has been coming along nicely which has been great for the club.

If you guys are ever in Wellington Nz give me a bell.

Blue shamrock in Northeast PA has 5 par 3 with number 18 being one of them,which is odd in itself. There is a par 4 with your tee shot having to go over a revine with an elevation change of up nearly 90 feet. If you hit a driver you have to cut a corner with trees and that doesn't work well and if you hit an iron you have 240 left to the hole. I must have deleted the picture from my phone but my yardage app has this picture of the landing area from the tees.Screenshot_2017-06-09-15-37-41.png

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

While I technically have no real home course, a course my buds and I play often, Baywood Greens in Delaware, has a par four with an island fairway.   It's the 14th hole and one can go around the water making the hole much longer.  

A Fazio Course it has back to back par 5's on the front and back to back par 3's on the back -

The par 3's are stunning. 

I was part of a Fazio build with back to back par 3's on the front, which left another par 5 on the back. We were rather perplexed about the whole thing until it was done and we played it. It was exactly as you say; Stunning. They dug up most all of the first one once and the same with the second one twice before it was all over. Hell of a deal as grow in there was 2 to 3 weeks behind the rest of the course but what a set of holes. Tom Fazio is the only designer I ever saw that would spade in 35ft trees, and then move them or even haul them off for another until he got it just how he wanted it which was the case and more with these holes. 

First time out most people usually didnt have any idea until they checked the card or rolled off of the first one over the hill to the next one and, wham. It was that different.

Really like it as you got your irons in your hands and in your mind for that set of holes knowing they were in order. And then they made perfect sense. Back to back par 5's would be really sweet too.

Good stuff.

Nothing unique other than maybe no two holes are really similar and the routing meanders widely, no back and forth holes. Not particularly walker friendly but no impact to me as it's been a few years since I preferred to walk.

I'm hoping to soon be able to claim the greens as uniquely great. 😉 They just started work on the install of mini-verde... can't wait!

My home course is the sister course to the TPC Sawgrass Stadium course.  While it is itself a tour caliber course (it hosted the Web.com Tour Championship every year until recently), for us its a regular member-club--with benefits!  Those being free use of the awesome Stadium practice facilities, clubhouse, onsite Tour Academy, access to Stadium course, etc.  Plus, Tour has more money than they know what to do with, so they spend it--on maintenance, improvements, etc.  Things like replanting flowers at least four times a year, constant 'refreshing' of landscape items, even monthly edging of cart paths all the way around the course.  

There are also regular PGA tour member sightings (its interesting to see some of their carry bags, how few clubs they carry, etc.).

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

When I was an air traffic controller (about 100 years ago), we had to write a big 'N' on one of the windows because I kept messing it up. True story...

This makes me a bit nervous...

My home course is the sister course to the TPC Sawgrass Stadium course. While it is itself a tour caliber course (it hosted the Web.com Tour Championship every year until recently), for us its a regular member-club--with benefits! Those being free use of the awesome Stadium practice facilities, clubhouse, onsite Tour Academy, access to Stadium course, etc. Plus, Tour has more money than they know what to do with, so they spend it--on maintenance, improvements, etc. Things like replanting flowers at least four times a year, constant 'refreshing' of landscape items, even monthly edging of cart paths all the way around the course.

There are also regular PGA tour member sightings (its interesting to see some of their carry bags, how few clubs they carry, etc.).

That is amazing! How many times have you played the Stadium course?

That is amazing! How many times have you played the Stadium course?

Probably 30 or so.  

So lucky! I am totally jealous...

If you are ever in the Jacksonville area, I have a standing offer to MGS'ers to host them on the Stadium. The guest rate I get is substantially lower than resort or rack rates, but it does vary by season.  Come down and play both courses!

BTW, just noticed another "feature" of my course.  Golf Digest 2017 rankings rate it 21st best course in Florida. Doesn't necessarily sound awesome, but it is higher ranked than Innisbrook Copperhead, the Blue Monster and Worldwoods, among others.

If you are ever in the Jacksonville area, I have a standing offer to MGS'ers to host them on the Stadium. The guest rate I get is substantially lower than resort or rack rates, but it does vary by season. Come down and play both courses!

BTW, just noticed another "feature" of my course. Golf Digest 2017 rankings rate it 21st best course in Florida. Doesn't necessarily sound awesome, but it is higher ranked than Innisbrook Copperhead, the Blue Monster and Worldwoods, among others.

So cool! I have to hook up with you if I'm ever down there!

What is the most unique/ interesting detail/fact about your home course ?

My home course is Pechanga Journey. Apart from being a golfers oasis, hole # 6 has the HIGHEST tee box elevation in Southern California.

A lot unique about my club. Front nine is par 37 with three par 5s in a row followed by two par 3s. Back plays to a par of 35 with no par 5s at all. Also of note is it was the site of Bobby Jones first major win in the 1923 US Open. Great track and depending on the wind it plays very different. Today on 12 with the wind down I hit driver and wedge. Thursday with the wind up I hit driver and five iron.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Pebble Creek Golf Club is located in the New Tampa area just 7 miles from my house. The unique factor is there is water on 17 holes. That's right, every hole except one(#9) has water on it. So you better bring your A game and hit your drives straight.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Pebble Creek Golf Club is located in the New Tampa area just 7 miles from my house. The unique factor is there is water on 17 holes. That's right, every hole except one(#9) has water on it. So you better bring your A game and hit your drives straight.

That sounds, um, intimidating?!

• 2 weeks later...

Highlander - Hole #17 (5).jpgAlright Junkie, I'm from your neck of the woods... You live a little south.. 

I would have to call Highlander Golf Course in Wenatchee my home course.. Since I don't really have one, but play there 1-2 times a month or more.. 

# 17 is a drivable par 4 plays 250 from the Black tees.. You have a forced carry of about 150 to a narrow fairway green is guarded by bunker Rt front.. Oh yeah I forgot to mention it's on the side of a canyon.. 

Absolutely gorgeous on a nice day.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Oh yeah, I've heard about Highlander! Never played there though. Looks nice!

That sounds, um, intimidating?!

TPC Valley technically has water on every hole.  #2 you have to hit a massive pull hook on a short par three to reach it, so it probably shouldn't count.  That being said, I have reached it, sad to say.  I can proudly say I have dunked many balls on all of the other holes.  

The most unique fact about my home course is that it is the first championship design by Pete Dye. Although it wasn't the first course of his to open, it was the first 18 hole design. Developers of the course saw a 9 hole course of his down in indiana and decided to go with him anyways. Pretty neat track!

Archived