Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Unofficial review – Bennington bags – no club chatter

chemclub

Great review, chemclub! I'm a simple bag kinda guy so this isn't my thing but it might make me think twice!

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I've had my QO12 for all of this season. It's the best bag, imo, that I've ever owned. I'll be hard pressed to buy anything but a Bennington now

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I've had my QO12 for all of this season. It's the best bag, imo, that I've ever owned. I'll be hard pressed to buy anything but a Bennington now

Completely agree! 

Everyone who owns a Bennington speaks of the quality of the build, so here is hoping you or I won't need to think about buying a new bag for a while.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

• 1 month later...

I just purchased and received the 2017 QO 9 bag (in the navy blue color).  I noticed the following:

1.  There is a front side handle where it appears the 2016 version of the bag has one or two pockets.  So the 2017 version is has fewew pockets.  I think I would have preferred these additional pockets (over the front handle) to put my wallet, keys, phone, etc.  Do you prefer the additional pockets on your 2016 version, or would you rather have the front handle?

2.   My putter (35" I believe) moves around in the putter scabbard and makes contact with my wedges.   The bag does not contain any clips to hold the shaft in place and keep the putter from moving.  Any solutions to this issue?

Thanks!

I just purchased and received the 2017 QO 9 bag (in the navy blue color).  I noticed the following:

1.  There is a front side handle where it appears the 2016 version of the bag has one or two pockets.  So the 2017 version is has fewew pockets.  I think I would have preferred these additional pockets (over the front handle) to put my wallet, keys, phone, etc.  Do you prefer the additional pockets on your 2016 version, or would you rather have the front handle?

2.   My putter (35" I believe) moves around in the putter scabbard and makes contact with my wedges.   The bag does not contain any clips to hold the shaft in place and keep the putter from moving.  Any solutions to this issue?

Thanks!

The navy and orange looks awesome! To answer your questions...

http://benningtongolf.com/products/quiet-organizer-9-lite/

1. I commented previously (page 2, #22) that my version of QO9 has to be loaded into the trunk with two hands because it didn't have the suitcase handle on the front as yours (the newer model) does. It was a little annoying but I acknowledge that the placement of the extra pockets on mine functions really well. Obviously, bennington felt that a suitcase handle was worth sacrificing those pockets (which I store tees, range finder and valuables in) In fact, I hardly use the side pockets.

From the website it looks like there are 3 pockets on the front of yours. I'm guessing a cooler, ball and maybe a range finder pocket? Do mind posting some pics? Are there any lined pockets on the side of the bag you could use to replace the ones they took out? It looks like there are some small ones on the top. Again, pics please!

2. This is an issue with this bag that I should have mentioned. My irons are 1/2" longer than standard and fit fine, but I think 1" longer than standard in the long irons might be pushing it. I can check later tonight and get back to you. That is too bad about your putter hitting the wedges, mine is 34". I assume you have a head cover on it so it likely isn't too much of an issue. Also, on a push cart it lays flat against the bag and falls a bit off to the side so it should not hit your wedges in that case.

I thought the exact same thing about how the putter moves around in the scabbard when I first got the bag. When you put your putter in there you can shake and rattle that thing back and forth like crazy and make a lot of noise if you want to.

In reality, and in my testing, it isn't an issue during actual use. On a push cart there is no issue since it lies flat against the bag. On a riding cart, I have watched from behind and it hardly moves—no rattles either. 

Keep us posted on your use and if you like it or not.

Yes, the 2017 QO-9 has three front pockets (ball, cooler and range finder).  I wish it had another one for my phone, wallet, keys, etc.  I have not yet used the bag, but my plan is to remove my range finder and hook it to the outside of by bag during play, which will free up that pocket for my phone, wallet and keys.  Then, at the conclusion of the round I will empty that pocket and put my range finder back in it for safe keeping.  There is also a lined pocket on the right side of the bag that will fit my phone, wallet and keys, BUT it is not a very deep or roomy pocket and as a result it will not be quick and easy to remove a ringing phone.  Here are some pictures.  I will report back after trying her out on the course.

20171108_181904.jpg

20171108_181553.jpg

20171108_181606.jpg

20171108_181652.jpg

20171108_181711.jpg

20171108_181742.jpg

20171108_181800.jpg

20171108_181823.jpg

There is also a lined pocket on the right side of the bag that will fit my phone, wallet and keys, BUT it is not a very deep or roomy pocket and as a result it will not be quick and easy to remove a ringing phone.  

I think I have an easy solution to your problem... Turn your phone off when you are on the golf course.  ;)

(disclaimer: I am aware that certain professions and medical conditions require phone connection.)

She is a beautiful bag at least. I see what you mean about your putter, but your putter has to be longer than 35", either that or the bottom of the scabbard is higher than mine. Is there a wad of packing material in the bottom of it or something that the putter is resting on? Mine is 34" and is well below my irons as opposed to yours. Can you measure from the bottom of the scabbard to the floor. I am just curious if they raised it up or something in the new design.

Like I said before, if you are using a push cart it might fall down out of the way.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thank you for the review! I am looking heavily into buying a "quiet bag". Bennington has just moved up the list. Watch out, Ogio!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Thank you for the review! I am looking heavily into buying a "quiet bag". Bennington has just moved up the list. Watch out, Ogio!

Good luck in your search! The decider for me was that Bennington didn't have any plastic clips or top flaps or little mechanical parts that might wear out or break. The iron falls into the slot and hangs there. That's it. Nothing can really wear out.

Now, with respect to Ogio, if you wanted to do a parkour flip over a golf cart like they do in the Ogio product video, the Bennington probably won't work for that. So you really have to think about how you plan on using the bag.  :D

There is also a lined pocket on the right side of the bag that will fit my phone, wallet and keys, BUT it is not a very deep or roomy pocket and as a result it will not be quick and easy to remove a ringing phone.  Here are some pictures.  I will report back after trying her out on the course.

I see what you mean about your lined valuables pocket being a tight fit. That pocket does look a little small. Could just use one of the other pockets in the bag like you said. Maybe only keep your cell phone in the upper valuables pocket.

I do like the valuables pocket on the older QO9. It is the pocket with the B on it above the cooler pocket. It has a nice wide mouth. Still prefer the color options on yours though

Just a few notes to give folks some idea about what club lengths work in Bennington bags (in my experience all the models are the same height). The iron is intended to "hang" on the little rubber slots so if your club is too long, then it obviously bottoms out and would flop around and hit your other irons.

My irons are 1/2" longer than standard

My 8-iron (37") easily sat in the shortest slot where I keep my LW (36.25"). Even my 7-iron (37") could have managed there. The 7-iron definitely hit bottom but the walls of the rubber slot were enough to keep from moving around too much. 

In the longest slot, my 4-iron (39") also just bottoms out but was kept in place by the walls of the rubber slot. I actually keep my 4-iron nestled in the center space between two head covers (leaving 9 irons left over, 5-LW).

My 5-iron (38.5") rests in the longest slot perfectly.

I have an old R11 21* hybrid that is 39.75-40" long and I was able to spin it completely around in the longest slot (see pic) so that might represent the upper limit of what this bag was designed to hold. 

There is also a putter scabbard pic below. Granny61, I think you must have a 36" putter unless your scabbard is a different dimension.

So long story short, I think if you are 1" longer than standard then you are at the limit. I think if you are much above that in terms of the length of your clubs then these bags might not be right for you depending on your comfort with how much they would bounce around in the rubber slots. I wonder how many players fit into clubs greater than 1" over standard?

39.75-40" long hybrid in top spot

IMG_3007.JPG

putter scabbard length measurement

IMG_3003.JPG

length of the longest slot

IMG_3005.JPG

Thanks Granny. That is quite a difference.

Did they raise the scabbard up in the new design? How many inches off the floor is the bottom of the scabbard.

Strange why they would do that. 

Thanks Granny. That is quite a difference.

Did they raise the scabbard up in the new design? How many inches off the floor is the bottom of the scabbard.

Strange why they would do that. 

The bottom of the scabbard is 4" off the floor.  How far off the floor is yours?  I'm thinking about ordering a QO-12 to see if that might work better for me.

I would have to measure tonight but it couldn't be more than an inch or 2. If pressed I might have even said it was flush with the floor.

Maybe they raised it to try to move it out of the way so reduce the bottom footprint. Strange.

... Just found this thread, thanks for the review chemclub. I have been using Bag Boy Revolver bags for years (I have 4) and two years ago went to the Ogio Silencer. I use a remote controlled cart so the bag and clubs gets jostled around pretty good. Both my Ogio's have started to get loose in the bottom and the clubs are starting to smack into each other defeating the purpose of the bag. I love the BagBoy Revolvers both for the revolving top which is just awesome when forced to use a riding cart as well as keeping the clubs in place. That said, the big problem with the BagBoy is the slot on the top that keeps the clubs in place begin to wear out after a year or two max, again defeating the purpose. I am 100% happy with the Revolvers with the exception of the very reason I bought them, keeping my clubs in place. 

... One quick question, how does it fit in your trunk and is it taller than other bags, as mine barely fit in my trunk because I need the space for my remote cart. So I am gonna look into the QO14 and again, thanks for the review!

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

The bottom of the scabbard is 4" off the floor.  How far off the floor is yours?  I'm thinking about ordering a QO-12 to see if that might work better for me.

I just checked and it is 1" from the floor. Curious why they raised it. I have noticed that the scabbard does cause the bag to turn slightly in some riding carts. The scabbard hits the lip of the platform that the bag sits on when in the riding cart and the bag kind of turns to accommodate it. I didn't even really notice it as an issue but I wonder if they received some complaints about it. 

I know some companies sell putter clips to keep it in place (Bag Boy I think). The only other alternative for you would be a putter head cover.

But, I think you should definitely check out the QO-12. If only so you can come back on here and post some reviews and pics about it!

Both my Ogio's have started to get loose in the bottom and the clubs are starting to smack into each other defeating the purpose of the bag. 

That was my main issue with the Ogio system. I mean, how can it not wear out if you look at how it is designed and intended to function. If you like buying bags often then I guess it's ok.

I also found the Ogio system inelegant (IMHO). A mechanism at the top and bottom of the bag seems a little over-engineered to me. I was looking for simplicity. 

the big problem with the BagBoy is the slot on the top that keeps the clubs in place begin to wear out after a year or two max, again defeating the purpose. I am 100% happy with the Revolvers with the exception of the very reason I bought them, keeping my clubs in place. 

Again, I was looking for a simple system that would not wear out. The revolution is kind of cool though.

Again, the inelegance of actively clipping your club in place like a pleb. 

There has to be a better way!

... One quick question, how does it fit in your trunk and is it taller than other bags, as mine barely fit in my trunk because I need the space for my remote cart. So I am gonna look into the QO14 and again, thanks for the review!

Length-wise, the bag takes up no more room than my old bag because the length dimension is determined by my driver length. The bag itself is taller than my old bag though.

The bag is obviously a little bigger than my hoofer in terms of width but not by much. I have 2004 Honda Civic trunk that fits my clubs and a clic gear 3.5+ push cart with tons of room to spare.

... Thanks, I don't care about width, just length as I need to lay it straight to make room for my remote cart, and right now my bag barely clears the sides. I have a Genesis G80 and although the trunk is quite large, it narrows at the back and that is where my cart goes and just fits. I can pile two or three bags on top of each other but they can't lay at an angle. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

nice expensive but very nice

I agree they are pricey, but not much more expensive than a C130 and with added features. It is definitely on the higher end of the scale, but I don't think the price point is that out of line.

Archived