TESTERS WANTED! ×

Good Guys On Tour

Brian A

Interesting poll on Golf Digest, the Top 30 Good Guys on Tour. 

Based on my experience at the US Open in 2016 at Oakmont, Id say they hit the nail on the head with Jordan. He couldn't have been nicer to everyone pre-rounnd during the Wednesday practice round. He signed our flag for my fiancee and also I was wearing a UA hat that he signed, stood around chatting with everyone as well for about 5 minutes before he went to the tee box. Rickie making this list didnt surprise me either, he was really friendly and made sure to sign for every single person probably 100 people after his round. 

http://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/top-30-good-guys-on-tour

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

For whatever reason the slide-show doesn't work here on my PC.

But... being nice or cordial to people never is a bad thing. I think it cuts both ways for the pros and the fans. As far as the Pros are concerned it literally pays to be nice and approachable and they know it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I was at Firestone a few years ago. Rickie had a crowd of kids around him. Walk by an couple hours later, still had a crowd, still signing. That is awesome.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

The slide show didn't work on my PC either.  I saw that Steve Stricker was a perennial finalist in this category - I've had a few encounters with him and the other Wisconsin guy - Jerry Kelly - both have been great!

On that same note I was watching a program on MLB a while back and the guys (who were ex players) said it simply, "It's way easier to be nice to fans than a jerk."

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Slideshow works fine on my Mac.  I don't disagree with any of them, although I am only going by what I see on TV.  I agree that Steve Stricker and Jerry Kelly would likely be on there except they graduated to the Champions Tour.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Using Chrome it seems to work on PC.

The only one I wonder about is Rory, just my experience, again at US Open practice round. He was early on the tee, so where I stood all day to get the pin flag autographed (Im a big memorabilia guy, wont ever sell anything, its all for me). On his way to the tee box, he was about 30 min early and we were 20 feet from the tee box, asked him to if he could please sign my flag, without breaking stride or looking just said "heading to the box". I was honestly the only person around, so its not like it would have started a rush on him.  He was the only person who walked by that refused to sign. Now later in the day when camera crews were on him he signed a few things. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

... Interesting story for past players that are good guys. Friend of mine was playing in a Pro Am and got paired up with John Houston. He never said a word and kept to himself. Finally my friend asked him to read a put near the end of the round. Houston sighed, take a brief look and on a putt that broke at least 3 feet said "it breaks" and walked away.

... Playing in the group behind them was Billy Andrade. He caught up to them on a par 3 on the back 9 that was backed up and asked them to meet him on the 18th after the round. He bought them each a beer and took them to a practice bunker and gave them a lesson. He said since they were paired up with Houston he figured he should make it up to them! They said he was so nice and helpful as well as telling them a few good jokes. One of the really Good Guys. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I have worked the practice area for PGA, Champions, LPGA and Web.com tournaments.    The toughest day typically is Wednesday-Pro/Am day.   But it ain't the pros, rather its the amateurs, some of them can be rather nasty, more demanding then the pros.   It is my experience with relatively few exceptions, the pros are genuinely great people, accessible (except in the mornings on tournament days) and appreciative of the volunteers and the fans.   That's something I like about tour pros, they seem to be more appreciative of their fans than many professionals in other sports.  

For what its worth, if a tour tournament is coming to your area, I highly recommend volunteering to work the practice area.  One really gets to see and meet the pros up close and personal so to speak.  Depending on the venue, many times, if you work an appropriate amount of time, the venues have volunteer days, where one play the course gratus.

I have worked the practice area for PGA, Champions, LPGA and Web.com tournaments. The toughest day typically is Wednesday-Pro/Am day. But it ain't the pros, rather its the amateurs, some of them can be rather nasty, more demanding then the pros. It is my experience with relatively few exceptions, the pros are genuinely great people, accessible (except in the mornings on tournament days) and appreciative of the volunteers and the fans. That's something I like about tour pros, they seem to be more appreciative of their fans than many professionals in other sports.

For what its worth, if a tour tournament is coming to your area, I highly recommend volunteering to work the practice area. One really gets to see and meet the pros up close and personal so to speak. Depending on the venue, many times, if you work an appropriate amount of time, the venues have volunteer days, where one play the course gratus.

I plan on volunteering at SugarLoaf next year when the Champions Tour comes to Atlanta. It's a regular stop and I've never done this.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I plan on volunteering at SugarLoaf next year when the Champions Tour comes to Atlanta. It's a regular stop and I've never done this.

When volunteering, I would recommend making the practice area as your first choice.   I know a lot of people that like to be "walking scorers".   Unfortunately, I can't do the walk.   I also think working the media center would be interesting as well.   Being a hole marshal would be my last choice.  

I'll be working the practice area at the Quicken Loans tournament at the end of this month.

When volunteering, I would recommend making the practice area as your first choice. I know a lot of people that like to be "walking scorers". Unfortunately, I can't do the walk. I also think working the media center would be interesting as well. Being a hole marshal would be my last choice.

I'll be working the practice area at the Quicken Loans tournament at the end of this month.

I think you have to work your way up to the desired post in Atlanta. Hell they might have me cleaning bath rooms

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I think you have to work your way up to the desired post in Atlanta. Hell they might have me cleaning bath rooms

Since the company that rents the port-a-pots will be cleaning the public restrooms, your assigned restrooms would be in the club house.   That means that you will get a club house pass, which ain't a bad thing to have.   I am sure that many of the pros will thank you for the clean restrooms in the locker room. 

Any golf fan who has the chance to volunteer I highly recommend it. It's an eye opener and a lot of fun. I volunteered @ TPC Cromwell Ct for I don't even know how many years. My wife also did a couple of years and she enjoyed it immensely. There were a few pros who were, let's say not very nice when the camera was off but majority couldn't be nicer to the volunteers.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Not being mean by Stewart Cink looks like age has hit him hard. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Many years ago I went to the Fred Meyer Challenge, Peter Jacobson's charity event.  A lot of big names were there; Jack, Arnie, Fuzzy, John Daly, Greg Norman.  Two-day partner event where everyone had a good time since it wasn't a PGA event.  You could get really close to the players.

I watched Greg Norman walk off the #18 green through a crowd; people would hand him something to autograph, he did while he kept walking and tossed whatever it was in the air, grabbed another one and did the same. Classless.  Arnie walked off the green and signed as many autographs as he could getting to the scoring tent.  Class.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Robert Garrigus- the smiley face guy. Really nice to the kids. He really impressed me, talked with the kids, interacted with them while signing stuff for while. It was nice to see.

Ben Crane, Billy Haas, Rocco, and many others that were excellent with the kids when we were at the Wells Fargo.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived