Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What's working?

ole gray

We all have clubs that go through those hot spells.  Some days it's the driver, some days a fairway wood, some days a hybrid, some days it's the putter, some days it's a special wedge, & some days the irons are kicking butt!  What is working especially well for you at this time?

For me the standout club is my new 16 degree hybrid.  It's a Mizuno and that puppy is barking like a prize coon hound!  It's damn near longer than most of my buddies 3 woods and did I say straighter than a carpenters ruler? :D  No doubt this new addition to my bag is begging for attention and she is bringing the wood, so to speak.....   ;) 

I was a bit worried because I picked er up with a stiff shaft.  Now I haven't had a stiff shaft in well let's say I'm getting older these days and I wasn't sure I knew what to do with it. Let me tell ya, you never forget how to ride a good bike.  I was looking for a 16 degree hybrid and after some reading I decided to try a 2016 Mizuno JPX EZ hybrid.

I'm getting awesome distance off the tee and off the deck. This hybrid is stupid easy to hit and I'm able to hit more fairways with it.  I was born a hooker however with this puppy the hooks are smooth draws.  So smooth at times it scares me.  I ain't complaining and I'm ride this hoss till the cows come home. 

My hot club of the month is the 2016 JPX EZ Hybrid!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Mine for going on a year now is my Titleist 816 H1 23 degree hybrid. It has been as solid of club as I've ever owned since the day I got it. It's pretty much money from 155 to 165 yards.

Yesterday during a steady rain into my face on a 155 yard par 3, I hit one that never left the flagstick and settled on the green about 10 feet from the pin.

Then the club that would rank no.2 in this category, my SC X7M rolled that sucker in, for one of the best birdies I've made in a very long time.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

2 Hybrid. It works 91% of the time. The other 9% percent is my dumbass miss hitting it. It just so happens that I only use it 9% of the time so that brings my failure rate down to around .009%... someone help me with the math. I failed every math class I was ever in.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Definitely my Cobra f7 3 wood. Off the deck or the tee the thing is a beast. Even the odd time where I have a miss hit it saves me. The other times when the shot doesn't go as planned it's all on me and I know exactly what to do next time around. It's been a saviour this season and honestly the first and only 3 wood I've ever had confidence hitting.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Lately, the driver works on one hole, the hybrids work on another hole, the irons work sometimes, the wedges work if I'm chipping, and my putter is hot and cold.  What does this mean?  I rarely have a hole where everything works; I am scrambling around trying to not make double bogeys.  The weather has been great for golf!  It's also great for playing whatever it is that I'm playing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well I can tell you that all my clubs work perfectly when I execute the correct swing path.....but aside from that my putter has been the staple in my bag since 2007. I will literally never be changing it.... ever.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

I have found I rely on my 4 iron. I can get 200-220 consistently and can start to work the fade and draw.

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

3W has been doing good things for me. The sad part is, I want to upgrade it and get the Cobra F7 3-4, because I've heard great things. I just don't think I can yet. I'll probably end up pulling the trigger before the end of the season though.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Right now it's my Nike Ignite 460 Driver 89% FIR last round and my second choice would be my Ping Glide 54 and 58 degree wedges really dialed in right now with my 3/4 and 1/2 swings with these

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Mp32 3 iron. And 712u 2 iron. Haven't used a 3 iron in years but for some reason this season I decided to ditch all my crutch hybrids and go back to irons. Worked so well I replaced my 2 hybrid with the 2 iron. Mishits lose ten yards but everything is on line. No more balloons or overcooked fades/draws.

Gotta be driver right now. Actually hit all 13 fairways the other day. It'll start hooking again before I know it though.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I like all the clubs in my bag I just changed 2 sets of irons on my main bag the Callaway apex cf16 to the older apex. The older one feels better for me.

The Taylormade RBZ2 19* 5wood absolutely sings for me. I normally carry about 215-225 but if I must I can crank it to 240. I've never miss hit it ever, even if I did, I've never believed my lying eyes. Every time I get to pull it out of the bag it somehow add a little spring in my steps. I love it so much I stopped carrying its sister the 17* hl 3woods. I have room I only carry 12 clubs now.

My scoring club is the 8 irons, I rotate 2-3 sets right now but my main one is 149-157, high, low, punchy you name it. Boosted, I can sneak in another 10 yards, so I can skip the 7i.

I also love my A wedge. From 110 in, it's like throwing dart at point blank. I hit it flush every time. Again my lying eyes some time tell me that's 10 yards further from the hole than I hit it, but it's lying.

My new fav is the PM grind 64* around the green it's the most fun. I'm a cook, so a spatula size ULW makes me feel right at home. It brings out the inner Phil every time it gets to come out and play.

Then it's my Texas wedge, I use it right off the fringe of the green sometime even 10 yards off the green. A few times I used it in the bunker. It doubles as a putter so I don't have to carry any more clubs. 6 wedges in the bag is more than enough:)

Then it's the driver. Not much to talk about. It took me about 18 months to earned it into my bag, but ever since it requires no maintenance. I'd hit a few tune up drives at the range a month and it behave the way it supposed to. It finds its way to the fairway almost every time I hit it unless I want to be in the rough for better approach angle. I don't remember the last time I was disappointed in my drive. Both 10.5* and 14* sings like fat ladies every time I pull it out.

Callaway XR16 14* 3W. I love that club and the xstiff and me get that thing out there that I touch most par 5s in 2 or I'm close to being on in 2. Then ping glide 56* and 60* work great for me every time. New clubs aren't in yet so this may change once they are in I may have a new club that works every time.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Can I say all my clubs? For the last few years there were always a few clubs that weren't giving me what I wanted and I kept making changes, but all of a sudden I feel comfortable with every club in the bag which is really hard for me because I'm so used to searching for something better. Time to give up my club ho'ing for a while?

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I would have to say it is a tie between all 4 of my old TM Mid Rescue Hybrids. I have the 16, 19, 22 & 25.

I just hit these clubs so well.  I have tried so many different hybrids over the last 10-15 years it is ridiculous.

But, I always end up with these old TM's back in my bag and the new ones up for sale on ebay.  I don't know why I even bother trying to find something better.

The funny thing is, that the paint/powder coating was so dinged and scratched that I just stripped it all off a few years ago and don't have to worry about it any longer.  The entire head on these are all silver now, no black coating left at all. No more paint dings to worry about and head covers no longer needed.

rescue_mid_large.jpg

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

As of right now, Before I tee off, it's my driver.. and has been for this season.. I have never hit more consistently long drives... Ping G30 LS tec. I decided to choke up to the end of the grip, thinking the added length was causing me to hit more off the toe.. 

Was i ever correct, Maybe or maybe just psychological. But last weekend i hit 3 drives measuring in the 280+ range, right down the middle.. I was also finishing my E6 testing might have been the balls as I hit a couple of iron shots that made me wonder if i'm getting stronger because 1 was a Lob wedge from 74 that flew the green over the fence and across the road, the worst part was it was a beautiful shot that All I could say was "HOLY SH!P"... I'm gonna stick with it being my driver.. and that I got lucky with the others...

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Can I say all my clubs? For the last few years there were always a few clubs that weren't giving me what I wanted and I kept making changes, but all of a sudden I feel comfortable with every club in the bag which is really hard for me because I'm so used to searching for something better. Time to give up my club ho'ing for a while?

That has to be a real good feeling!   Going from club ho to no mo is boss hoss. Good on you and I'm really close to that myself.   ;) 

Cleveland

Gray reading your posts make me smile more than a tick on a coon hound... LOL...  ;)

Best dog I ever had BTW... Coon hound that is.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Putter has been hot lately. My new Vokey 58 L grind is good too, everything is clean with that.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Gray reading your posts make me smile more than a tick on a coon hound... LOL...  ;)

Best dog I ever had BTW... Coon hound that is.. 

Well thank ya sir and your saying is exactly what I say when I stick one close to the pin.  Tighter than a tick on a Georgia hound.  :D

Cleveland

Right now....nothing.  To quote Roy McAvoy "My swing feels like and unfolded lawn chair!!!!!"

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Driver, 3wood, and 19* hybrid are working, the hybrid works 99% of the time. So I use it on short par 4's a lot. My average for the last 6 rounds is 12-14 fairways. So whatever club I hit off the tee, it seems to be working, my irons, that's a different story.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

My wonderful beautiful ER2.

Wish I could say the same for my ER7, I think it's too long after revisiting my posture and swing with the old flat stick. Going to have to return it and go down an inch I think.

Iron game is on point though. Think I had like 5 chances for birdie my last 18 holes, all under 20 feet. Went 0/5 on the putts but didn't 3-putt so I'm not full Hulk rage, yet.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Putter is adequate beyond that nothing else.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Man, my driver is hot right now! Kind of unusual for me but I'm not going to complain!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

My wonderful beautiful ER2.

They really are beautiful putters. IMO

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I would have to say it is a tie between all 4 of my old TM Mid Rescue Hybrids. I have the 16, 19, 22 & 25.

I just hit these clubs so well. I have tried so many different hybrids over the last 10-15 years it is ridiculous.

But, I always end up with these old TM's back in my bag and the new ones up for sale on ebay. I don't know why I even bother trying to find something better.

The funny thing is, that the paint/powder coating was so dinged and scratched that I just stripped it all off a few years ago and don't have to worry about it any longer. The entire head on these are all silver now, no black coating left at all. No more paint dings to worry about and head covers no longer needed.

I agree I have 16* 19* and 22* love them trying to get them out of my bag but probably won't work added an Adams XTD 3 and 5 wood also a 20* Adams Red Hybrid trying to get the yardages covered but those Resue Mids are always money

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Archived