TESTERS WANTED! ×

What are you working on?

TSauer

As we all know, golf can be a pain in the you know what sometimes. Just when you think you have it all figured out, something goes wrong. Then you fix that, and something else goes wrong.

Or, on the other end of the spectrum everything is going great but there are certain parts of your game that could use more work.

This could be a running thread to post about what parts of your game you are currently working on or plan to work on, and maybe how you are doing so.

I'll start, I'll be working on chipping/pitching this week. Shots from 40-50 yards and in. I plan on starting close to the green and working my way back until I can get everything dialed in to where I'm content.

What are you focusing on?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking to work on the Driver at the next range session. I work on chipping and putting as much as possible after work at the course practice area. Just adding putting practice lowered my putts per round in a week.

Irons are usually solid, as with wedges. It is always getting to the iron or wedge shot accurately and then finishing it without 3 putting. So I work on my start weekly and my finish daily. The middle gets worked in a little each practice session.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm working on my 3-6' putts. I want to be at the point where I can tell my Ryder cup partner to go ahead and take a run at the hole don't worry about going long, I'll make the come back putt. Keeping it simple eliminates the complexity of the putting game and I'm taking this as far as I can.

That's the only thing putting I work on. I found that even without extensive back breaking putting practice session my lag putts are usually die at the hole or lip out most of the time. It also helps with the approach shots as it adds an extra level of trust to the short and mid game.

I don't work on driving, and I don't carry any long irons, usually 1 5hybrid and 1 5wood, I don't work on that either, so I works from the green back to the tee.

I am always working on my chipping, pitching and putting.  I really don't spend much time on the range unless I need to tweak something.  I especially hate hitting driver.  That said, I need to work on a few things to maximize distance.  Direction is fine, but if I only had another 20 yards...

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On being able to get out there. My back has been bad for a while, and really fired up last week which kept me from playing. This came after I seized up after 10 holes the week before.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I am always working on my chipping, pitching and putting.  I really don't spend much time on the range unless I need to tweak something.  I especially hate hitting driver.  That said, I need to work on a few things to maximize distance.  Direction is fine, but if I only had another 20 yards...

I don't hate hitting driver as the matter of fact I love it. I just don't want to see bad shots on the clubs that performs so well for me. I used to hit half a buckets with driver because it was my strength then when I started to see more bad drives on the course I started to accepted that as part of my game. I stopped practicing with driver then my driving came back.

Full swing shots has less variables than shorter approach shots. On full swing I only need to adjust for lies and direction, with driver it's even less just direction and trajectory. I used to play at least one round a week without any woods to taper my needs for distance off the tee. Now I'd do that a couple times a month.

I enjoy taking these simple and obvious but not so popular approach to the game. It works spectacularly well for me. At this point of my game I like to keep it as chocolate(I don't like vanilla) as possible, nothing fancy.

I've been working on shortening my backswing for better ball striking and consistency. I've been hitting a lot of balls at the range with a thought of a 3/4 backswing to ingrain the change so the next time I play it will feel natural. The results have been great during my practice sessions.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

For me it's the driver that always gives me the most problems, been fighting it for a few years now.

I have recently gotten rid of my slice by doing a grip change and concentrating on a full hip turn on my backswing but, still struggling to get some distance and a lower ball flight. I hit the driver really high.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

Need to hit more greens, and be closer when I have a wedge in my hands. So iron consistency is it right now.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

My biggest thing is I tend to get handsy and flip at the ball due to a stop of rotation in the swing. I keep working at it on the range to warm up by hitting low cuts but on course still having to trouble 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I've been working on approach shots with my long and mid irons.

I've also scheduled my first lesson so looking forward to that and hopefully moving forward with my golf game

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Getting my right Elbow to fold and sync up with my right hip. I have too much stuff going every which way in my swing right now.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

For me it's definitely putting. I've never been a good putter so lately that's all I've been working on. Have been breaking my wrist and flipping my putter at the ball especially on longer putts. But like TSauer said once I fix that problem 3 more will emerge.

CobraConnectChallenge3

Had a chipping lesson today to cure my ills. We worked on three different releases to find the one I was most consistent with, so I left the lesson with good thoughts and a motion I can continue to work on!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Need to hit more greens, and be closer when I have a wedge in my hands. So iron consistency is it right now.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This is probably my biggest stroke adder. I feel like I can hit my wedge great, just gotta get better with controlling distance and accuracy.

I'm working on keeping my left wrist flat in the backswing, and keeping the face closed a bit. Trying to transition to a draw with my irons, and fade the driver. Just like everything else.... it's a process!!

Everything is either straight or fade for me. I wish I could hit a draw. Every time I try, it goes terribly wrong.

The club had a ladies invitational tournament today; the course was full all morning.  So I spent the morning putting, chipping and hitting pitch shots.  I did this for 2 hours spending about a third of the time at each location.  

Putting:  I put a new grip on my putter 3 weeks ago and haven't been making very good putts with it since.  So I pulled out the Nike Method Converge putter that I tested in 2015.  I started with one handed putts with my trail hand (right) from 4 feet.  This putter is much lighter than my gamer and I wanted to get the feel of it.  Then moved back to 8 feet and made 6 in a row.  Nice!  I had good speed with it and better than average makes.  Then I moved on the lag putts from 25 feet.  I had a lot more difficulty with distance control than my gamer; mostly short.  I spent quite a bit of time on lags, and I finally got to where I could judge distances and get putts to tap-in range. I'm going to play this putter for awhile; can't hurt.

Chipping:  I practiced chipping to different pins on the green with my 58* 54* 50* and 46*.  I like to chip to short and long pins with each of the wedges so I can judge how well the ball checks and rolls out.  I also went to a location about 10 feet off the green that has a downhill lie and chipped with my 58*, landing it on the green with little roll to the pin.  It takes speed and soft hands, and I need more practice!

Pitching:  We have a pitching green with a close pin and a far pin.  It gets a lot of use so I don't practice my my balls.  I used range balls, but I am not looking for how the balls react on the green.  I was practicing hitting balls from 30 yards to each pin location with a variety of trajectories using my 58*.  Alternating high soft shots front and back, then low shots that check up to each location.  I am better at the low shots; need to work on the high shots some more.  I probably hit about 100 balls.

The last thing I did today was take 10 balls to the range and pretended I was in the Long Drive Championship that I watched last night.  I teed the ball up a lot higher than normal and let 'er rip!!  I was surprised that the balls flew better than I thought they would.  But I would have to walk to my ball and tee it up again to get to the winning long drive!!   :(

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The question for me is what haven't I been working on?! Thought I had the driver fixed but it went a little wonky yesterday. Irons too. Hitting them closer to the toe instead of the middle. And the putter... That always needs work, lol

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

And I wish I could hit a fade. No matter what I do (open face, etc) it goes straight.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Lmao, golf is strange.

Everything is either straight or fade for me. I wish I could hit a draw. Every time I try, it goes terribly wrong.

I sometimes wish I have your problem. Except for a low squeeze fade out of trouble. My idea of a fade is a 5 yard draw:)

Simply keeping the club face square at address. It's amazing how much setup can affect the rest up your swing.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Oh my goodness... everything. Okay, not everything. Mostly my putting. Getting my putts to start out on the intended line. If I can start making putts, I could really start shooting some low scores!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Archived