Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

What are you working on?

TSauer

What's the Issie with the 3w? Top? Pull? Fat?

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeah lay up. :)

3 wood is plain old hard to hit. I've given up and picked up a tour Exotics 4 wood that I hit as far as a 3 wood if I were to flush both and it's way easier to hit so practically speaking it hit it farther and higher too so I could actually go I've stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of range time this week. I got one of the assistant pros to watch some shots. He said my lines were dead on in my set up and the divots were dead straight at the target. Every shot had a hair of draw. I'm going for fades. I can hit a punch fade but very few full shot fades. I smashed my 4 Wood - five really good ones. I'm still dropping inside but at least I'm getting the elbow to fold and point down on plane.

I will get that fade yet.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Fully agree! I wish that I could video between lessons. I will have friends or my son video me during rounds. I also like to use a mirror to try and get the feel/sight of proper positions.

I use my cell phone lots of times when I'm on the range, it can take slo-mo video just fine.  I use a flexible tripod like this one to mount it to my golf bag:

http://joby.com/kits/mobile/phone-photographer-kit

There are a number of analysis programs you can use to look at the videos at home, draw lines, etc.  Its easier than I thought it would be when I started using video.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 2 weeks later...

Getting through the ball. Bodies stopping rotation through impact. Lines are clean but when I get stuck like that i feel a little flippy with the hands at impact and get inconsistent shot shapes. Much prefer hitting my towering draws when I'm hitting through the ball.

I use my cell phone lots of times when I'm on the range, it can take slo-mo video just fine. I use a flexible tripod like this one to mount it to my golf bag:

http://joby.com/kits/mobile/phone-photographer-kit

There are a number of analysis programs you can use to look at the videos at home, draw lines, etc. Its easier than I thought it would be when I started using video.

I had my buddy shoot a couple of my swings on Tuesday. The Dianne the between what I'm feeling and what I'm doing is pretty funny. I'm certainly swinging better than it feels. :)

My pro told me to visualize my hacker friends when I'm swinging. I'm still dropping it inside but it's much less than it was prior to the lesson.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I had my buddy shoot a couple of my swings on Tuesday. The Dianne the between what I'm feeling and what I'm doing is pretty funny. I'm certainly swinging better than it feels. :)

I was pretty surprised (or maybe horrified) when I first saw my swing on video.  I almost hate to admit it, but I also frequent another golf website, one that's centered more on instruction than MGS is, and I've had some very positive direction after posting my videos there.  Evaluation of your own video is something I'd strongly recommend against, very few of us know enough about the golf swing to determine what needs to be changed first, or how to go about changing it.  However, once you get good instruction, video is a good to for evaluating your progress, and for confirming that the new awkward-feeling move is actually the RIGHT move.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I was pretty surprised (or maybe horrified) when I first saw my swing on video. I almost hate to admit it, but I also frequent another golf website, one that's centered more on instruction than MGS is, and I've had some very positive direction after posting my videos there. Evaluation of your own video is something I'd strongly recommend against, very few of us know enough about the golf swing to determine what needs to be changed first, or how to go about changing it. However, once you get good instruction, video is a good to for evaluating your progress, and for confirming that the new awkward-feeling move is actually the RIGHT move.

Yes remember that I'm in the middle of lessons, I've had two and have two more scheduled. I know what we are looking for.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Yes remember that I'm in the middle of lessons, I've had two and have two more scheduled. I know what we are looking for.

Sorry if I gave the impression that my caution was intended for you, I've read enough to know you're doing it the right way.  That was a more generic caution for those who think that reading the tips in Golf Digest for 20 years makes them qualified to diagnose and repair their own swings.  Or in more modern terms, watching 30 hours of varied (and probably contradictory) YouTube instruction does the same thing.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Sorry if I gave the impression that my caution was intended for you, I've read enough to know you're doing it the right way. That was a more generic caution for those who think that reading the tips in Golf Digest for 20 years makes them qualified to diagnose and repair their own swings. Or in more modern terms, watching 30 hours of varied (and probably contradictory) YouTube instruction does the same thing.

That's a needed warning if ever there were one. I hadn't really thought about it but you tube probably messes more people than anything out there.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Working on developing a consistent ball flight, I'm tired fades sometimes and hooks the other.

I need to be able to stand on the tee box and eliminate one side of the course.....liming up to play a fade and hitting a hook really sucks.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I'm trying to figure out a way to hit more fairways. I'm pushing my driver and my 3 wood just started hooking out of nowhere. 3 iron down to putter I'm striking it better than ever but it's those 2 big ones giving me trouble.

Got the Hudl app, a little tripod, and the Michael Breed video analysis book should be here any day so I'm hoping I can identify some key that'll get me back on the right track.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

The back of my left hand squaring up at impact. I have too much of a tendency to hit with my right hand causing snaps. Any swing thoughts appreciated ⛳️

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Working on being able to hit a fade or draw on demand. I feel like I'm almost there, but I still have some doozies that get away from me.

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

Everything is either straight or fade for me. I wish I could hit a draw. Every time I try, it goes terribly wrong.

I was the same, until I read a Golf Digest article on Dustin Johnson. He explained how he simply sets up open to his target line and swings down his toe line to hit his cut/fade. So I said "why not do the opposite for a draw", and voila! It worked like a charm. Now I'm working on controlling how much it draws, but it's been fairly easy for me. Give it a try.

The back of my left hand squaring up at impact. I have too much of a tendency to hit with my right hand causing snaps. Any swing thoughts appreciated ⛳️

My coach tells me to throw the logo on the back of my glove at the target. So I focus on that and it's helped keep my wrist square at impact. I've even stuck a tee through the Velcro of an old glove and used it to "point" at the target at impact.

I've even stuck a tee through the Velcro of an old glove and used it to "point" at the target at impact.

This is what I was about to recommend. There are a lot of videos on YouTube of instructors doing this, give them a watch.

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

one piece takeaway starting with my hands and keeping light grip pressure through the takeaway increasing on the downswing.

rotating hips all the way through the shot - almost as if I'm hitting the ball with my right hip.

not swinging out of my shoes.

"mopping" the ground before/after the ball

getting up on my toes with driver to get a lot of power through impact

rhythmic swing so I can feel the clubhead

getting my hands by my right shoulder on the backswing

keeping left arm extended 

standing closer to the ball and pointing the toe of the club down on chips

....about all I can remember at this second.  ;)

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

High flying bunker shots. I did a little bit of that today but it was so hot I decided to finish the round instead. I normally practice 10-15-20 yards bunker shots. I decided to do 30 yards bunker shots all carry all spin today. It's not bad but I wish I can do more consistent roll instead of all carry but distance control has been good so I just left them as is.

Did some chipping practice yesterday after leaving my shag bag at home. Today I hit mid irons. I broke out the rarely used "Perfect Grip" and was hitting it pretty solid with it on. Makes me wonder if I should fit larger grips. Switched between 5,6 and 7(this had perfect grip on it). Ball flight was better than it has been. Now I just need to put some more time in over the next week and a half before my next round.

I normally get a little practice in when picking up my daughter from her weekly session with the club pro, but she has had her little finger screwed back together so no golf for her for at least 6 weeks. I'll just have to get organised.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Will be working on my short game more often that's for sure!! Had an hour wait for a tee time, and having already hit my free member bucket, I practiced my putting making four putts at 90* from 4'. Most circles I did in a row was 6. Did my routine for every single putt and my putter was tearing it up on the course!

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm trying to figure out a way to hit more fairways. I'm pushing my driver and my 3 wood just started hooking out of nowhere. 3 iron down to putter I'm striking it better than ever but it's those 2 big ones giving me trouble.

Got the Hudl app, a little tripod, and the Michael Breed video analysis book should be here any day so I'm hoping I can identify some key that'll get me back on the right track.

Why not take a lesson or lessons instead?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Did some chipping practice yesterday after leaving my shag bag at home. Today I hit mid irons. I broke out the rarely used "Perfect Grip" and was hitting it pretty solid with it on. Makes me wonder if I should fit larger grips. Switched between 5,6 and 7(this had perfect grip on it). Ball flight was better than it has been. Now I just need to put some more time in over the next week and a half before my next round.

I normally get a little practice in when picking up my daughter from her weekly session with the club pro, but she has had her little finger screwed back together so no golf for her for at least 6 weeks. I'll just have to get organised.

Screwed back together? Did she break it?

On the golfing note I play slightly larger grips on everything except my wedges. It slows down my hand action a bit.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I am working on keeping my upper body quieter during my downswing. I have got a gremlin in my swing right now that is causing my shoulders to slide in front of the ball at the start of the down swing. Only seems to be happening on my tee balls so I believe it could be a temporary thing.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Screwed back together? Did she break it?

On the golfing note I play slightly larger grips on everything except my wedges. It slows down my hand action a bit.

A very innocuous incident, attempting to catch an Australian Football while relaxing with a few other girls after an exam. Bad timing prior to a Bali holiday, a bit of time off golf, but long term perhaps the best bone to have broken if you had to break one.

Worst part was she got to spend her 17th birthday having surgery. She got to come home and we were able to celebrate (quietly) with friends.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

clearing my left hip (I'm right handed)... realized after playing in my league match yesterday I wasn't doing it as well as I should be and was getting a bit lazy.

If I remember to do that it really helps my hips rotate instead of slide...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Alignment. Something so simple wrecked my June.

Exhibit A

IMG_0363.JPG

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Archived