TSauer

What are you working on?

Our Sponsors

Took out camera and sent online pro a front on and dtl followup to lesson.Says I'm doing great.Not going to play the victim card.But not sure what he is judging that on.I mean is better a step up from bad? Than he sent me another message stating we need to do opposite of what your doing😔😔😔😩.That is so open ended.Does that mean swing right instead of left handed?Wondering if I'm getting smoke blown up my arse.How can you judge improvement without watching the Ball results?Does a look of a swing trump everything when it comes online lesson time.

😔😫😫😡

Took out camera and sent online pro a front on and dtl followup to lesson.Says I'm doing great.Not going to play the victim card.But not sure what he is judging that on.I mean is better a step up from bad? Than he sent me another message stating we need to do opposite of what your doing.That is so open ended.Does that mean swing right instead of left handed?Wondering if I'm getting smoke blown up my arse.How can you judge improvement without watching the Ball results?Does a look of a swing trump everything when it comes online lesson time.

I'd be interested in where you're getting your online instruction.  But to answer the question, there definitely are times when you can be improving your mechanics, making progress in a specific motion, yet the results aren't there yet.  In fact, you can hit the ball worse, less consistently, as you learn a new movement.  When you're on the course, the score is the final judge.  When you're working on a swing change, swinging with the new mechanics are more important than the results of the shot.

• Like 2

@Bigmoney that's why I like working with a live teacher. Sometimes crappy results can come as we are implementing a new move. You need to have that trained set of eyes.

I find this hard to argue with, I think the best way to learn is with live instruction.  However, video can be a great tool as you practice between lessons.  Once you've been told just what to look for, you can get nearly real-time feedback during and after a practice session.  Things always feel "odd" when you make a change.  But if you look at your video, and see that you're actually making the change you're trying to make, you can survive that "odd" feeling until the proper motion begins to feel more natural.

• Like 2

I'd be interested in where you're getting your online instruction. But to answer the question, there definitely are times when you can be improving your mechanics, making progress in a specific motion, yet the results aren't there yet. In fact, you can hit the ball worse, less consistently, as you learn a new movement. When you're on the course, the score is the final judge. When you're working on a swing change, swinging with the new mechanics are more important than the results of the shot.

im working at it with my best efforts.

Have been working on 2 things: #1 - full shoulder turn.  I was constantly coming across the ball on tee shots due to lazy backswing motion.  Seem to have it down now since it's my main swing thought.  #2 - 3 wood off the deck.  This is the worst part of my game.  I can stripe them at the range but can't bring it to the course so I'm always hitting low hook 4 irons to try to get to par 5's in 2.  Any tips?

I find this hard to argue with, I think the best way to learn is with live instruction. However, video can be a great tool as you practice between lessons. Once you've been told just what to look for, you can get nearly real-time feedback during and after a practice session. Things always feel "odd" when you make a change. But if you look at your video, and see that you're actually making the change you're trying to make, you can survive that "odd" feeling until the proper motion begins to feel more natural.

Fully agree! I wish that I could video between lessons. I will have friends or my son video me during rounds. I also like to use a mirror to try and get the feel/sight of proper positions.

Having my swing frame by frame below an ideal swing frame by frame and seeing the similarities and difference was a huge help.

I'm anxious to get to the range to hit more shots. I leave for a conference early Monday and won't be able to hit balls again until Friday of next week so I want to get what I'm trying to do in my head, now!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Online instructions are difficult to accomplish. Sad part is once you get better, there's not much to work on either, instructions wise. There's only so much you can absorb and you'd ended up working on 1-2 things, which pretty much all you can take.

I was going to work on my block approach shot at the range today after the round but my approach is working deliciously for me right now with the new irons, so I skipped it altogether today and went to have breakfast instead. I'm going to ride this lucky wave out as long as I could.

• Like 2

Well after several so so rounds and going through my written down stats it's pretty obvious that I need to be working my approaches in. I've moved away from as many drivers to a few more 3 woods which has helped with my fairways, but I'm really struggling sticking or making good approach shots into greens...anyway to the range I go and hopefully get some more consistency built into my swing.

I'm getting a card board box and drawing my foot and ball position for reference as soon as I get home today. This gotta be worth something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have been working on 2 things: #1 - full shoulder turn. I was constantly coming across the ball on tee shots due to lazy backswing motion. Seem to have it down now since it's my main swing thought. #2 - 3 wood off the deck. This is the worst part of my game. I can stripe them at the range but can't bring it to the course so I'm always hitting low hook 4 irons to try to get to par 5's in 2. Any tips?

What's the Issie with the 3w? Top? Pull? Fat?

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's the Issie with the 3w? Top? Pull? Fat?

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeah lay up. :)

3 wood is plain old hard to hit. I've given up and picked up a tour Exotics 4 wood that I hit as far as a 3 wood if I were to flush both and it's way easier to hit so practically speaking it hit it farther and higher too so I could actually go I've stuff.

• Like 1

Working on my 10-15' putts. Always have the right distance but the wrong read. Been close but can't quite get it to drop.

Lots of range time this week. I got one of the assistant pros to watch some shots. He said my lines were dead on in my set up and the divots were dead straight at the target. Every shot had a hair of draw. I'm going for fades. I can hit a punch fade but very few full shot fades. I smashed my 4 Wood - five really good ones. I'm still dropping inside but at least I'm getting the elbow to fold and point down on plane.

I will get that fade yet.

• Like 2

Fully agree! I wish that I could video between lessons. I will have friends or my son video me during rounds. I also like to use a mirror to try and get the feel/sight of proper positions.

I use my cell phone lots of times when I'm on the range, it can take slo-mo video just fine.  I use a flexible tripod like this one to mount it to my golf bag:

http://joby.com/kits/mobile/phone-photographer-kit

There are a number of analysis programs you can use to look at the videos at home, draw lines, etc.  Its easier than I thought it would be when I started using video.

• Like 1

Getting through the ball. Bodies stopping rotation through impact. Lines are clean but when I get stuck like that i feel a little flippy with the hands at impact and get inconsistent shot shapes. Much prefer hitting my towering draws when I'm hitting through the ball.

I use my cell phone lots of times when I'm on the range, it can take slo-mo video just fine. I use a flexible tripod like this one to mount it to my golf bag:

http://joby.com/kits/mobile/phone-photographer-kit

There are a number of analysis programs you can use to look at the videos at home, draw lines, etc. Its easier than I thought it would be when I started using video.

I had my buddy shoot a couple of my swings on Tuesday. The Dianne the between what I'm feeling and what I'm doing is pretty funny. I'm certainly swinging better than it feels. :)

My pro told me to visualize my hacker friends when I'm swinging. I'm still dropping it inside but it's much less than it was prior to the lesson.

I had my buddy shoot a couple of my swings on Tuesday. The Dianne the between what I'm feeling and what I'm doing is pretty funny. I'm certainly swinging better than it feels. :)

I was pretty surprised (or maybe horrified) when I first saw my swing on video.  I almost hate to admit it, but I also frequent another golf website, one that's centered more on instruction than MGS is, and I've had some very positive direction after posting my videos there.  Evaluation of your own video is something I'd strongly recommend against, very few of us know enough about the golf swing to determine what needs to be changed first, or how to go about changing it.  However, once you get good instruction, video is a good to for evaluating your progress, and for confirming that the new awkward-feeling move is actually the RIGHT move.

• Like 2

The weaker grip issue definitely feeling better, but definitely still not natural. I still have to consciously regrip the club each time to get rid of my old strong grip.

I was pretty surprised (or maybe horrified) when I first saw my swing on video. I almost hate to admit it, but I also frequent another golf website, one that's centered more on instruction than MGS is, and I've had some very positive direction after posting my videos there. Evaluation of your own video is something I'd strongly recommend against, very few of us know enough about the golf swing to determine what needs to be changed first, or how to go about changing it. However, once you get good instruction, video is a good to for evaluating your progress, and for confirming that the new awkward-feeling move is actually the RIGHT move.

Yes remember that I'm in the middle of lessons, I've had two and have two more scheduled. I know what we are looking for.

Yes remember that I'm in the middle of lessons, I've had two and have two more scheduled. I know what we are looking for.

Sorry if I gave the impression that my caution was intended for you, I've read enough to know you're doing it the right way.  That was a more generic caution for those who think that reading the tips in Golf Digest for 20 years makes them qualified to diagnose and repair their own swings.  Or in more modern terms, watching 30 hours of varied (and probably contradictory) YouTube instruction does the same thing.

• Like 1