Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How many wedges are in your bag?

PW, AW, 52,56,60

I am in a love hate relationship with my 60*. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a 50,54, and 58 when I was using with the Cobra one lengths which have a 45* PW, but I have switched back to my Mizuno MP-60s and the pitching wedge is 47* so I have some thinking to do to pick out the right selection again. Thinking about weaking the PW to 48 and going 52 and 56. But then I need to bend some more of the irons to get all the gaps right. I like hitting parallel and 3/4 wedge shots predominately to be able to flight them down enough.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I carry 4 wedges - PW, AW, SW, LW.   I hit partial wedges with them as well as choking down to reduce distance.  I wouldn't add another wedge since I have my distances covered with the current setup.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have a strange setup due to past money constraints but I've gotten used to it and I don't have a gap in distances so it works, I'm sure I'll eventually get a little more orthodox with it eventually but for now This is what I got.

3 wedges total in my bag:

the 46 degree pitching wedge from my iron set Hogan PTx.

54 degree Nike VR Pro forged wedge.

58 degree Hogan TK15 wedge

Like I said earlier, I'm sure I'll eventually get a 50 degree and possibly switch the Nike out with a Hogan but I don't have any glaring distance gaps that need filling so for now I'm happy with my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Right now I am play three wedges, PW(47), Gap(50 bent to a 51) and Sand(56). I have been playing a lot of long courses this summer so I took out the lob wedge(60) and put a 2 hybrid in to help with some of the odd distancing at the top of my bag.   

3 : 50, 54 and 58 plus the PW, never seen 5 wedges but if you can gap your clubs in a manner that fits it why not do it!?

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Great question.  I just changed irons from Taylor Made Burner 2.0 to Titlist AP2 714's.  I bought them from a buddy who as upgrading.  He threw in 4 to Pitch, and gap wedge.  I had been using my Hogan's (53 and 57 respectively) as well as the older TM Pitching wedge.  Had to choose, so I went with the Titlist Pitching wedge, and left the gap wedge out of the bag -(too many clubs) and the gap between my Hogan 53 and the PW was not great enough to warrant the loss of my 4 iron.  I also carry a Wilson Staff "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with a very pronounced bounce for bunker shots and flop shots.  So, that really makes 4 wedges, to answer your question.

Now if I could only learn how to use them!!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

PW 46

GW 51

SW 56

LW 60

XW 64

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I currently play the set PW 45* and GW 50* along with 3 standard wedges 54, 58 and 62. Been thinking of replacing the set GW with a standard wedge though.

Sent from my HTC 10 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Scotty Cameron Select GoLo 

Taylormade TP5x

I'm on Instagram as @sharpened_development_llc

• 2 weeks later...

Four = 3 + PW

TItleist Vokey SM6 50f, 54m, 60m.  I carry one of each finish so not to grab the wrong one in a money game when I'm not thinking clearly.  The numeral 50 can look a lot like the numerals 60 when you're not paying attention.  And on a sidehill lie you may not notice the face angle like you would from an even lie.

I carry chrome, copper, black in the 50f, 54m, 60m respectively.

including the pw i carry 3 a 50 and a 56 deg as well.

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic Driver

:taylormade-small:  M6 5 wood

:taylormade-small:  Burner Superlaunch 3 hybrid

:mizuno-small:        JPX 919 Hotmetal Pro 4-pw

:callaway-small:          Mack Daddy 2 50*

:taylormade-small:   RAC TP 56*

:cameron-small:       Squareback 1

:callaway-small:          Chrome Soft

Three, not counting my AP2 Pitching Wedge (46 degrees). I have Hogan TK 53 and 57 degree, along with my Sandy Andy. The Sandy Andy has a huge bounce, making bunker play much more enjoyable, (unless there is no sand in the bunker) and I also use it on Donald Ross design greens, because the ball will stop and not roll back off or over the green.sandy andy.jpg

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

I will open this up with a personal comment and observation.

A lot of us older guys carry only 2 or 3 wedges because when we were learning the game we had usually 2 choices. A PW at anywhere from 48 to 50 and a sand wedge of 55 or 56. That was all we had to choose from.

Personally I carry only 3 on the old stuff usually I carry only 2.

On the front line stuff it depends on what set of Irons I have> If I am playing the 13 Callys my PW is jacked to 45 but I carry a 52 and 56 also

If gaming my Mac VIPs the PW is at 48 but I carry the same 52 and 56 because of different bounces. What is funny is that my Mac VIP 9 iron is the same loft as the Cally PW. Us older guys learned a lot of different shots by moving the face from open to closed and also delofting some by forward press

I have seen some guys in modern times carry 5 wedges and personally I do not see anything wrong with that. After all that is how they learned the game and they have adapted and learn to play with different equipment. Gotta do your own thing and play what works for you and your game

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Three, not counting my AP2 Pitching Wedge (46 degrees). I have Hogan TK 53 and 57 degree, along with my Sandy Andy. The Sandy Andy has a huge bounce, making bunker play much more enjoyable, (unless there is no sand in the bunker) and I also use it on Donald Ross design greens, because the ball will stop and not roll back off or over the green.attachicon.gifsandy andy.jpg

Those are some great old wedges very verseitile especially on old school courses with brick mason type sand in the bunkers. I grew up around Ross style courses so I know exactly what you are talking about

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I carry just two wedges, a 50* pitching wedge and a 56* Sand Wedge with 12* bounce. I use the SW everywhere around the green whether I'm in the rough or a bunker. I can open the face up and hit shots that a 60* or higher Lob Wedge can make so I don't feel I'm missing anything without having a LW in the bag.

My pitching wedge being the same as a modern gap wedge, is used for approach shots from tight lies and chipping from fringe/first cut around the green.

My short game has improved tremendously this year as I have been focusing on being consistent with just two clubs instead of having too many options which would probably lead me to indecisiveness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

So, after making the switch to one length through Cobra this year, I've been with 4 wedges. The F7's PW, GW, and SW, gapped at 45, 50, and 55 respectively. My word are they awesome. I'll probably be doing a full review of the set (coming soon to the review board!) but the wedges are just so point and go.

However, because of the fear I had chipping with the longer clubs I've kept by regular 60 degree Wilson Staff FG Tour wedge. It's got the tour grind and is around 2-2.5 inches shorter than my irons and other wedges.

As of late though, it's just not performing the way I want. I feel indecisive over the ball. One thing about it is that this was the first 60 degree wedge I ever had, so I never really used it before. The other thing is that I think I try and get too cute with it and with it being that low grind, low bounce, high loft wedge, too much going on upstairs equals disaster.

In all, I think I'll probably be getting a one length wedge to start next season since the year is almost up in the northeast and there doesn't seem to be that big of a need for it now. I still can chip with the 56 if I have to and get decent results. This also means I'll probably use it on full swings more too, and that'll only help the funky in-between shots.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I carry three wedges. 54, 50 and 46

In My Bag

TM Stealth +, PX T1100 ,6.5 

TM Stealth+ Rocket 3W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM Stealth 5W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon GOST 95HX

TM P790 5-PW TT DG X100

TM Hi Toe Raw 50, 54, 58

Evnroll ER5 

Snell MTB X YELLOW

I carry just two wedges, a 50* pitching wedge and a 56* Sand Wedge with 12* bounce. I use the SW everywhere around the green whether I'm in the rough or a bunker. I can open the face up and hit shots that a 60* or higher Lob Wedge can make so I don't feel I'm missing anything without having a LW in the bag.

My pitching wedge being the same as a modern gap wedge, is used for approach shots from tight lies and chipping from fringe/first cut around the green.

My short game has improved tremendously this year as I have been focusing on being consistent with just two clubs instead of having too many options which would probably lead me to indecisiveness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is something to be said for this -I went 48,53,60 for a long time and really only used the 53/60 combo as wedges. It did eliminate confusion and being one of those older guys that Big Stu talked about I could handle the gap between the 53 and 60. However I'm liking the 52,56,60 set up. I just pretend that I don't have the 56 in the bag for my short game and use the same shots around the green as I did before but now I don't have to worry about the gap on full shots.

I'm certainly more effective with a full 56 from 82 yards than I was a part 53 and I'm way more effective with it than the ground ball, chunked, snap hooked or blocked three wood that I was sporting before I replaced it with the 56.

I guarantee that I could make a lower score going PW, 56 from 215 than 3 wood God only knows what next. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived