Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

US Open

Shankster

It is officially US Open week! I am pretty stoked that it is on a "Heathland" or "Prarie Land" course this year. This is going to be a great venue, and I am looking forward to the action this week. Even if it is 8239 yards.

I am taking Jon Rahm in a playoff on Sunday over Louis Oosthuizen.

Anyone attending? Who do you have winning?

- Alan

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm taking McDowell by 2 strokes (long shot) I'm excited to see how difficult it will be and what other controversy can come out of it!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I'm going with a long ball hitter with it being such a long course. Someone like Dustin or Bubba. I can only hope JB Holmes is in the hunt. Kinda biased because he's a hometown boy and pretty much the only "thing" that's ever come out of these parts (central KY). But it'll be fun to watch regardless.

CobraConnectChallenge3

I'm taking McDowell by 2 strokes (long shot) I'm excited to see how difficult it will be and what other controversy can come out of it!!

Yep I am anxiously waiting to see how the USGA is going to screw it up this year

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Can we dispense with the length off the bat. Newer courses are very long when every hole is played from the tips. They aren't - holes will play at differing lengths each day according to wind direction, course conditions and to present the players with different options and looks. On par 3's it preserves the teeing ground.

The length will not impact modern players one iota.

Every year we hear that the US Open will be s blood bath and then someone manages to solve the puzzle. I'm going with winner around -3.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

attachicon.gifIMG_1299.JPG

It is officially US Open week! I am pretty stoked that it is on a "Heathland" or "Prarie Land" course this year. This is going to be a great venue, and I am looking forward to the action this week. Even if it is 8239 yards.

I am taking Jon Rahm in a playoff on Sunday over Louis Oosthuizen.

Anyone attending? Who do you have winning?

- Alan

I promise you if it's a playoff they will not win on Sunday.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Yep I am anxiously waiting to see how the USGA is going to screw it up this year

Sadly this is the case for many. They have made the premiere tournament in the US look like something that should be held inside one of Barnham and Bailey's tents while defending their stupidity in the process.

They insult common sense and the intelligence of the playing public as if they know how the game should be played and we dont.

Will this ship of fools do it again? Probably, and as always the fewest putts on the weekend for those within five wins and the 3 putt will send many down the leaderboard and out of it. If someone runs away with it it will be epic to see imo.

I have no idea of the winner but would like to see DJ add another and get on his way to multiple majors.

To be clear the US Open has always been nightmarish. Hale Irwin's first win was at around +7. Back in that day the USGA would allow rough to grow as thick as possible and greens to get out of control - the host course had control over conditioning and always prided itself on being the toughest.

Since the USGA took over scores have gone down and the winner is almost always under par. It's going to be tough. It's going to be at the edge of reasonable. More than half the field is already eliminated but what the heck at the Masters about half the field is even allowed inside the gates.

It is what it is. I enjoy watching. I would like to play Sunday so I will probably record the event and play with a friend.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Can we dispense with the length off the bat. Newer courses are very long when every hole is played from the tips. They aren't - holes will play at differing lengths each day according to wind direction, course conditions and to present the players with different options and looks. On par 3's it preserves the teeing ground.

The length will not impact modern players one iota.

Every year we hear that the US Open will be s blood bath and then someone manages to solve the puzzle. I'm going with winner around -3.

... Not sure that will be the case at Erin Hills. When we played the wind was blowing about 20 mph and we had a hard time even reaching some fairways with the 200+ carry into the wind. And we would look back at the Pro tee's 50-80 yds behind us and think no way anyone other than the longest hitters can reach from those tees. Now I know some of those tees might be the 8300 tees but others will most definitely be in play. 

... And the fescue is so thick that players will want to avoid it at all costs, so accuracy will be at a premium. Then again, that is the Open formula. Make the players pay a heavy price for missing the fairway. So I think the length will impact the modern player and more than an iota. ;) But we shall see soon enough! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Kevin Na's thoughts on this week

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVNSL7OBWMu/?r=wa1

Those replies are harsh. I read him giving us an inside the ropes view not as complaints. My sense is that he likes it tough because it may negate the advantage of length. That's always the USGA's goal. They want to test a player' entire game from head to toe.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Obviously Na na na na hey hey hey is goodbye...

Bombers with solid short games will be the biggest advantage. I think Day is an obvious choice. DJ will be there. I am bullish on Rahm. He is so solid.

Out of the box thinking: Kisner (all around game is great, beauty of a swing, just not a long hitter)

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

I play in that stuff every round at my club with tighter fairways and I don't whine about it.  Every hole at my club has knee high fescue as the heavy rough and usually only a few paces off the fairway.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

It's my favorite week of golf each year. Love where it falls within the season, love the courses selected and yeah, I enjoy the players handling a difficult track. The championship is earned here.

It seems Erin Hills is doing its best Oakmont impression, but I'd like to see more of the course and how it plays before making that call.

I think it's Fowler's time, with a dark horse pick of koepka.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

It will be interesting what the average length the course will play for these pros. They already play very long courses and still ahve mid to short irons in on a weekly base. Why not battle it out once a year. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

The more coverage I see of this course, the easier it's starting to look. Anyone played it?

Chisag said he had played it and gave a pretty good synopsis if you ask me. It is not that far from him  

in the Windy City

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I'm going Sergio to win back-to-back majors.  Backup is Justin Thomas.  But I would really like to see Steve Stricker win it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm going Sergio to win back-to-back majors. Backup is Justin Thomas. But I would really like to see Steve Stricker win it.

I'll second your Sergio. JT gets a bit bent out of shape when things go sideways. If he can keep calm he is solid.

- Alan

The more coverage I see of this course, the easier it's starting to look. Anyone played it?

I played it shortly after it opened. I mean shortly like by days.

I understand it's a very different course now than then. So I won't give too many impressions other than I thought it was a hell of a course.

As for score, one thing I think people are over looking is that it is a par 72 as opposed to a 70 the USGA usually sets up.

With at least 3 of the 4 par 5's being reachable for big hitters. I think it could be as low as -5 to -7 that wins.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Justin Rose, his short game may prevent this.

Jordan Speith- his long game may prevent this.

And a Lefty, Brian Harman

That's my picks. They probably suck, but it's the USOpen, so a lot of picks will suck.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

... Not sure that will be the case at Erin Hills. When we played the wind was blowing about 20 mph and we had a hard time even reaching some fairways with the 200+ carry into the wind. And we would look back at the Pro tee's 50-80 yds behind us and think no way anyone other than the longest hitters can reach from those tees. Now I know some of those tees might be the 8300 tees but others will most definitely be in play.

... And the fescue is so thick that players will want to avoid it at all costs, so accuracy will be at a premium. Then again, that is the Open formula. Make the players pay a heavy price for missing the fairway. So I think the length will impact the modern player and more than an iota. ;) But we shall see soon enough!

The difference is that they will move the tees up if the weather forecast calls for winds that cause the field to be unable to reach the fairway.

I saw this the first time around at Whistling Straits. They had all the tees back for the practice round and more than half the field could not reach the fairway on 11 into the wind and one was a joke as a par 4 at 500 yards. They had grandstands already on the back of the tee at 10 - a course that was nearly 7700 yards on the scorecard never actually played 7200 yards once they actually played the tournament. One was always and I believe has always played at 400 yards not 500 and 11 only stretches to 600 when it's down wind. 10 becomes a great hole for pros at about 340 - for and at 380 there is a cross bunker that must be navigated - for them it's go for the green over a valley of bunkers and fescue or lay up and wedge on.

I think you will see Erin Hills play at around 7500 yards each day. That will let a variety of types of players have a chance to win - the USGA will not allow brute force to become the determining factor - it will reward long and straight but not long and crooked. It would much rather have a Larry Nelson on its trophy than a Phil Michelson unless Phil keeps it in play for all four rounds.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'm going Sergio to win back-to-back majors. Backup is Justin Thomas. But I would really like to see Steve Stricker win it.

Sergio is a great choice.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

If Phil pulls off the plane schedule he talked about and makes it in time I kinda think he could do something special, otherwise I think Jordan Spieth or Dustin Johnson. I am interested to see if we see a new Sergio now that he has the first major though.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I'm hoping Jordan pulls it out, although from what I've seen its not going to be easy on anyone

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Archived