Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

US Open

Shankster

... OK tired of beating a dead horse so this is my last post on this. Justin's shot on 18 Saturday would have never held the green if Erin Hills had not had so much rain softening the greens. We have seen so many Opens where the greens were TOO hard and dry so they needed to syringe them during the round. I imagine if those greens had as much rain as Erin received they would have been very different too.

... So for the last time, Erin Hills is a very tough course that almost always has high winds and after a TON of rain the weeks before and during the tourney, played softer than it should and did;t have the prevailing winds to protect it. To say it is a bomb and gouge Open is just dead wrong. Like Congressional, it just didn't play to it's norm because evidently mother nature wanted lower scores.

Case closed.

- Alan

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as the scoring goes, I'm with revkev on this one.  The easy conditions made this tournament seem more like just another weekly event.  With that said it was still a great tournament and was impressive to see Koepka take control of the tournament the way he did.

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

...and by the way, what, exactly is the point of Holly Sanders ???

I get that she is eye-candy and all that but she adds nothing to the telecast and actually demeans it.

I liked her when she was on The Golf Channel with Martin Hall and I think she messed up her career going to Fox.

Fox should pay more attention to what Amanda Balionis does at CBS. She could wear the same clingy clothing that Sanders does but she has some dignity and respect for the viewers and at least has useful information and decent interviews.

Next year I bet Fox uses their stupid NFL robot and it busts through a US Open green or blasts a ball 400 yards.... what a bunch of amateurs.

Watch Holly or listen to Joe Buck?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

...and by the way, what, exactly is the point of Holly Sanders ???

I get that she is eye-candy and all that but she adds nothing to the telecast and actually demeans it.

I liked her when she was on The Golf Channel with Martin Hall and I think she messed up her career going to Fox.

Fox should pay more attention to what Amanda Balionis does at CBS.  She could wear the same clingy clothing that Sanders does but she has some dignity and respect for the viewers and at least has useful information and decent interviews.

Next year I bet Fox uses their stupid NFL robot and it busts through a US Open green or blasts a ball 400 yards.... what a bunch of amateurs.

I think that is the point....,  she is major eye candy, And she can play some golf too.

Balionis looses 10 pounds you can be pretty sure she's going to tighten up the outfit too.

Fox?

Rather hopeless as Azinger and Strange threw their not so witty lines out there to many times to be anything close to witty, and then they threw barbs at each other as if it was an on the job interview between them.

Faxon... wake me up when hes done.

The englishman (Ron Brown?) with the basketball rolling down the fairway and then covering the finish on the course stole the show.

Nance and faldo and the rest arent exactly worth a days time but their the best we got.

McCord is an idiot, period.

Miller grows on you kind of like fungus that doesnt hurt anything.

Ken Ventura ruined it for all of them. He was that good.

I think that is the point...., she is major eye candy, And she can play some golf too.

Balionis looses 10 pounds you can be pretty sure she's going to tighten up the outfit too.

Fox?

Rather hopeless as Azinger and Strange threw their not so witty lines out there to many times to be anything close to witty, and then they threw barbs at each other as if it was an on the job interview between them.

Faxon... wake me up when hes done.

The englishman (Ron Brown?) with the basketball rolling down the fairway and then covering the finish on the course stole the show.

Nance and faldo and the rest arent exactly worth a days time but their the best we got.

McCord is an idiot, period.

Miller grows on you kind of like fungus that doesnt hurt anything.

Ken Ventura ruined it for all of them. He was that good.

Yup, Venturi was that good.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'll give Koepka credit, but the USGA is **NOT** going to like this...and I think Strick made it as clear as he can how the other guys feel... this isn't golf, it's turned into a homerun derby. They've got to do something.

Koepka, who entered the week ranked 173rd in driving accuracy on the PGA Tour, hit 87.5 percent of fairways and 86 percent of the greens in regulation. He hit a club longer than a 7-iron on only one approach shot all week, a 5-iron at the fourth hole Sunday.

"This is the new age of golf," Steve Stricker said. "They bomb it. If they hit it crooked, they bomb it again. They've got no fear."

agree bottom line its mot a sea side course its inland usga expected wind to blow give me a break ocean course sure. again awesome course beautiful land but max max winning score for us open -4 -16 wtf come on regular tour stop

Travelers is up next. Enjoy. See you guys on "The Open" thread.

Yea Cromwell CT.! Volunteered there for many years. Played the regularly.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I should have been in Vegas!

Very Nice!! What I like most about that is you picksd ONE dark horse. Not 6 or 7 like some "media" people do and then brag about getting it right. Ha

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

And what about Rory and his -16 or Tiger with his -10, everyone was in awe over that.

Tiger had the greatest 4 days of golf anyone will Ever see 2000 at pebble beach -12 second place +3 that course played plenty hard except Tiger was a freak for 4 days unreal

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Case closed.

- Alan

wrong inland course usga got it wrong always easier to make course easier than make it harder. Inland course no trees it's St. Andrews f joke every other major or tournament if winning score is -20 no problem it's the 1 tournament a year old man par should be the mark

If you're relying on "Mother Nature"/the weather to make your course difficult you're doing something wrong. Leave that to the Brits...

As an aside - if this is the way it's going to be you've just eliminated half the field; guys like Zach Johnson, who has won both the British and Masters via shot shaping and accuracy will never win a US Open.

I don't like the scores to be low. I want them high, I was just saying it was fun to watch, and the leaders played well, BK got on a role and won it, but I don't want the USOpen to be under par. It should be even par or close to it. I can also see that next years USOpen will likely be set up way to difficult.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I don't like the scores to be low. I want them high, I was just saying it was fun to watch, and the leaders played well, BK got on a role and won it, but I don't want the USOpen to be under par. It should be even par or close to it. I can also see that next years USOpen will likely be set up way to difficult.

usga will over compensate hopefully not 2018

• SPY VIP

Geezes a little wind, less rain and I'm sure only -10 would have still won. USGA got this course wrong if they wanted to do the traditional preserve par thing, Erin Hills obviously isn't as hard as everyone thinks.

2017 will go down as the ultimate bomb and gouge open.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Geezes a little wind, less rain and I'm sure only -10 would have still won. USGA got this course wrong if they wanted to do the traditional preserve par thing, Erin Hills obviously isn't as hard as everyone thinks.

2017 will go down as the ultimate bomb and gouge open.

Wind no rain; the fairways would run out to the rough, the greens would be firm and less receptive; putting would be more difficult.  It wouldn't be around par, so I would say -5.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Wind no rain; the fairways would run out to the rough, the greens would be firm and less receptive; putting would be more difficult.  It wouldn't be around par, so I would say -5.  

... Exactly. Hitting balls from just the primary rough to less receptive greens with the 25+ prevailing wind would make this course play much tougher than those here that have not played the course think it would. And with faster fairways and stronger winds, they would have found the tall fescue more often. If they come back, the only changes I would make is narrowing the fairways a little. But even then, if the wind blows like it did all spring, it would border on almost unplayable. 

... The bottom line is these guys are just sooooo good when they are at the top of their game. The only way to stop them from scoring is to trick up the course in a way it was not designed to be played. I enjoy seeing the Pro's struggle as much as the next guy as long as it is a tough but fair test. I just don't enjoy watching great shots turn into poor shots because the USGA is trying to protect a par score. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Saw this on Twitter posted by Swing By Swing. Thought it was interesting, passing it along fyi...

“Koepka's driving ability has always been his calling card and that was no different at Erin Hills. The new U.S. Open host's large fairways were perfect for Koepka who finished the week third in strokes gained: off the tee.

"However, it was Koepka's approach shots that set him apart from his peers. Koepka gained more than eight strokes on the field average coming into the greens, leading the field in strokes gained: approach to the green, earning him his first major championship."

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Saw this on Twitter posted by Swing By Swing. Thought it was interesting, passing it along fyi...

“Koepka's driving ability has always been his calling card and that was no different at Erin Hills. The new U.S. Open host's large fairways were perfect for Koepka who finished the week third in strokes gained: off the tee.

"However, it was Koepka's approach shots that set him apart from his peers. Koepka gained more than eight strokes on the field average coming into the greens, leading the field in strokes gained: approach to the green, earning him his first major championship."

I guess that's a fair opinion. Koepka did seem to be his game in control Sunday.

Rick

Left Hand, 

... Exactly. Hitting balls from just the primary rough to less receptive greens with the 25+ prevailing wind would make this course play much tougher than those here that have not played the course think it would. And with faster fairways and stronger winds, they would have found the tall fescue more often. If they come back, the only changes I would make is narrowing the fairways a little. But even then, if the wind blows like it did all spring, it would border on almost unplayable.

... The bottom line is these guys are just sooooo good when they are at the top of their game. The only way to stop them from scoring is to trick up the course in a way it was not designed to be played. I enjoy seeing the Pro's struggle as much as the next guy as long as it is a tough but fair test. I just don't enjoy watching great shots turn into poor shots because the USGA is trying to protect a par score.

disagree

Archived