TESTERS WANTED! ×

"Strokes Gained" stats

Its basically the same for all of the strokes gained algorithms. They are the best way (so far) to detect how well someone is executing a certain part of their game.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Essentially it is a large collection of statistics for how many stroke players take to get in the hole for a specific distance. You compare your performance to see if you are gaining or losing strokes.

I have seen collections of stats for pros through high handicaps to make legitimate comparisons. If you keep you stars of how many strokes you take from various distances you can start to do head to head comparisons to see actual weaknesses in your game.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Google up Shot by Shot by Peter Sanders. He's the true inventor or strokes gained. (Not Mark Brodie)

I think you find all the info you'll need.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Lots of stats available in all parts of the game since the tour went to Shotlink.  On the same course in a round it helps pros see how they compare with others during the tournament.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

cnosil has it right, strokes gained is a distance weighted evaluation of performance with a specific type of shot.  There are now statistics available regarding how many strokes it takes, on average, to get in the hole from a specific distance.  For instance, the pros average 1.5 strokes from 8 feet.  They make about half of those putts, and virtually never three put, so their scores are 50% 1-putt, and 50% 2-putt.  So, if a player actually makes a putt from 8 feet, they gain 0.5 strokes as compared to the average..  From 20 feet the average might be 1.8 putts (I'm not sure that's right, but its an example).  If a player 2-putts from 20 feet, he LOSES 0.2 strokes, if he makes it, he GAINS 0.8 strokes.  If you add up all of the strokes gained (or lost) through the round, you get that player's strokes gained putting for the day.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

The interesting thing about strokes gained data is that it attempts to remove other variables from the evaluation.  For instance, if you hit every green, but you're 30 to 40 feet away every time, 36 putts is a pretty good number  The "standard" for a 30-foot putt is going to be 2.2 or so (my estimate, not an actual statistically derived number), so 18 2-putts would GAIN you 3.6 strokes.  If you hit it inside 10 feet on every hole, and have 36 putts, your putting was pretty poor.  The "standard" for a 10-footer will be something like 1.7, so in this case 18 2-putts would LOSE you 5.4 strokes.  36 putts in either case, one a good performance, one a poor performance.

This type of statistic has value for lesser players like us in that it can inform our practice choices.  If I'm taking a lot of putts because I'm always a long ways away, my best choice is to work on ball-striking, learn to hit it closer.  If I'm the second guy, getting a lot of looks but never making 10-footers, my ball striking is good, I should practice putting.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 3 years later...

If you are having golf strokes gained lessons then this data and analysis is valuable information that can help your coach plan your lesson time efficiently to have the most impact on your score. You can analyse your data together and decide what time should be spent on each aspect of your game, during your lesson and whilst practising.

7 hours ago, golfstattracker said:

If you are having golf strokes gained lessons then this data and analysis is valuable information that can help your coach plan your lesson time efficiently to have the most impact on your score. You can analyse your data together and decide what time should be spent on each aspect of your game, during your lesson and whilst practising.

Are you here just to advertise your website?

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

40 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Are you here just to advertise your website?

We'll be watching!  Tks.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 6/13/2017 at 11:29 AM, DaveP043 said:

The interesting thing about strokes gained data is that it attempts to remove other variables from the evaluation.  For instance, if you hit every green, but you're 30 to 40 feet away every time, 36 putts is a pretty good number  The "standard" for a 30-foot putt is going to be 2.2 or so (my estimate, not an actual statistically derived number), so 18 2-putts would GAIN you 3.6 strokes.  If you hit it inside 10 feet on every hole, and have 36 putts, your putting was pretty poor.  The "standard" for a 10-footer will be something like 1.7, so in this case 18 2-putts would LOSE you 5.4 strokes.  36 putts in either case, one a good performance, one a poor performance.

This type of statistic has value for lesser players like us in that it can inform our practice choices.  If I'm taking a lot of putts because I'm always a long ways away, my best choice is to work on ball-striking, learn to hit it closer.  If I'm the second guy, getting a lot of looks but never making 10-footers, my ball striking is good, I should practice putting.

I am more focused on proximity to the hole

:titelist-small: TSR2 10.0 Fujikura Ventus TR Black 5x

:titelist-small: TSR2+ 14.5 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6s

:titelist-small: TSR2 18 degree Graphite Design Tour AD UB 6s

:titelist-small: T200 Utility Build 4iron Graphite Design Tour AD DI

:titelist-small: T100s 5-P Dynamic Gold TI X100 

:vokey-small: SM 9 50, 54, 58

:cameron-small: Super Select Golo 6

:titelist-small: ProV1X 

Explain in more detail. This topic is about Stroke gained; proximity to the hole is the variable that is used to determine if you are gaining or losing strokes against the field.

You should focus on proximity to evaluate you dispersion pattern but that isn’t about strokes gained. Meaning you would say from 100 yards I should average X distance from the hole.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

38 minutes ago, JScott said:

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Explain in more detail. This topic is about Stroke gained; proximity to the hole is the variable that is used to determine if you are gaining or losing strokes against the field.

You should focus on proximity to evaluate you dispersion pattern but that isn’t about strokes gained. Meaning you would say from 100 yards I should average X distance from the hole.

I'm wondering too, what do you mean?  Strokes Gained driving is calculated by comparing the original distance  (expected strokes to hole out from 420, say) to the distance and location after the shot (expected strokes to hole out from 150 in the rough).  Strokes Gained approach compares the distance and location (rough, fairway, bunker) to the proximity and location (green, fairway, rough, bunker) after the approach shot.  Strokes gained putting is based on original distance to the hole, and number of putts to hole out.  Every time, proximity is the primary variable being evaluated.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

19 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm wondering too, what do you mean?  Strokes Gained driving is calculated by comparing the original distance  (expected strokes to hole out from 420, say) to the distance and location after the shot (expected strokes to hole out from 150 in the rough).  Strokes Gained approach compares the distance and location (rough, fairway, bunker) to the proximity and location (green, fairway, rough, bunker) after the approach shot.  Strokes gained putting is based on original distance to the hole, and number of putts to hole out.  Every time, proximity is the primary variable being evaluated.  

Here is what i mean.  Yes, I want to hit the fairway, yes i want to hit the green, and yes I don't want to 3 putt.  To me, it has to do with how close I am hitting it to the hole.  Like someone else said, you hit every green, be 40 feet away and 3 putt half of them.  I try to hit every shot within 20 feet. (even chip shots, bunker shots, etc.).  If i do that, i probably will never 3 putt from that distance, make more birdies and less bogeys (or more pars and less doubles).  If i can hit a lot of shots closer, i probably hit a good drive, a good approach or chip.  This all came about when i was playing with someone who said "you hit a lot of greens, you should score better".  I thought about that and realized that yes, I hit a lot of greens, but sometimes i am in the 3 putt zone.  My mindset has been, hit it closer to the hole, and my scores have come down.  Helpful?

3 minutes ago, JScott said:

Here is what i mean.  Yes, I want to hit the fairway, yes i want to hit the green, and yes I don't want to 3 putt.  To me, it has to do with how close I am hitting it to the hole.  Like someone else said, you hit every green, be 40 feet away and 3 putt half of them.  I try to hit every shot within 20 feet. (even chip shots, bunker shots, etc.).  If i do that, i probably will never 3 putt from that distance, make more birdies and less bogeys (or more pars and less doubles).  If i can hit a lot of shots closer, i probably hit a good drive, a good approach or chip.  This all came about when i was playing with someone who said "you hit a lot of greens, you should score better".  I thought about that and realized that yes, I hit a lot of greens, but sometimes i am in the 3 putt zone.  My mindset has been, hit it closer to the hole, and my scores have come down.  Helpful?

It absolutely makes sense, closer is better.  But there can be different reasons for "poor" proximity.  Maybe a player isn't long enough off the tee, so he's always hitting long approach shots.  Maybe he's in the rough too much, which leads to wider dispersion on approach shots.  Maybe he drives the ball great, but is a horrible iron player.  Any of those lead to longer first putts, fewer 1-putts and more 3-putts, more putts in general.  Using Strokes Gained evaluation of a player's entire game can help him understand where his weaknesses are.  He could have 38 putts in a round, and have it be a function of poor driving or poor iron play, not poor putting. 

Strokes Gained is a more detailed way of looking at "proximity to the hole".

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

44 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

It absolutely makes sense, closer is better.  But there can be different reasons for "poor" proximity.  Maybe a player isn't long enough off the tee, so he's always hitting long approach shots.  Maybe he's in the rough too much, which leads to wider dispersion on approach shots.  Maybe he drives the ball great, but is a horrible iron player.  Any of those lead to longer first putts, fewer 1-putts and more 3-putts, more putts in general.  Using Strokes Gained evaluation of a player's entire game can help him understand where his weaknesses are.  He could have 38 putts in a round, and have it be a function of poor driving or poor iron play, not poor putting. 

Strokes Gained is a more detailed way of looking at "proximity to the hole".

100% agree with you.  I am rethinking my approach to the game and have been thinking backwards (where is the pin from the tee).  I am really trying to understand where i SHOULD NOT hit it off the tee instead of where i should.  EXAMPLE:  pin is back left on a hole that doglegs left.  I really don't want to be in the middle left of the fairway or i am blocked out.  I want to be middle right of the fairway.  By understanding where i can miss it, i have been hitting more greens and am closer to the hole.  My handicap has dropped this year with just a mental adjustment.  I agree with you that Strokes Gained is more detailed but in my mind during the round, I am trying to hit it closer to the hole on ALL shots.  I might hit a bad drive and a crap approach but my next shot, i am trying to hit it as close as possible.  I have been tracking my rounds that way.  

100% agree with you.  I am rethinking my approach to the game and have been thinking backwards (where is the pin from the tee).  I am really trying to understand where i SHOULD NOT hit it off the tee instead of where i should.  EXAMPLE:  pin is back left on a hole that doglegs left.  I really don't want to be in the middle left of the fairway or i am blocked out.  I want to be middle right of the fairway.  By understanding where i can miss it, i have been hitting more greens and am closer to the hole.  My handicap has dropped this year with just a mental adjustment.  I agree with you that Strokes Gained is more detailed but in my mind during the round, I am trying to hit it closer to the hole on ALL shots.  I might hit a bad drive and a crap approach but my next shot, i am trying to hit it as close as possible.  I have been tracking my rounds that way.  

Sounds like you are pin hunting on approach shots. If so, My suggestion would be that you look at proximity and dispersion data for pros and newer approach strategies for when to aim your shots based on dispersion.

Driver dispersions are in the 60 yard range, 7 irons in the 30 yard range. When you stand over a shot you have absolutely no idea where you ball will end up in that pattern. Not understanding that pattern will bring bogey and worse into play more often.

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Sounds like you are pin hunting on approach shots. If so, My suggestion would be that you look at proximity and dispersion data for pros and newer approach strategies for when to aim your shots based on dispersion.

Driver dispersions are in the 60 yard range, 7 irons in the 30 yard range. When you stand over a shot you have absolutely no idea where you ball will end up in that pattern. Not understanding that pattern will bring bogey and worse into play more often.

This is a good point.  Not to get too far off track ,but i want to put myself in the best position to make the best score i can.  My old mindset was "hit fairway, hit green" and i was still not really making much progress.  I am trying to think about where to hit shots instead of just hit the ball.  Lastly, I have been thinking of the green in quarters.  I am not going after every pin, but i am going for the best chance to make birdie or par.  If the pin is in a good spot, i go for it.  If it is in a "sucker" position, i will try to hit shot in that quarter of the green.  For whatever reason, when i am thinking about and understanding my proximity to the hole, my scores have gone down.

This is a good point.  Not to get too far off track ,but i want to put myself in the best position to make the best score i can.  My old mindset was "hit fairway, hit green" and i was still not really making much progress.  I am trying to think about where to hit shots instead of just hit the ball.  Lastly, I have been thinking of the green in quarters.  I am not going after every pin, but i am going for the best chance to make birdie or par.  If the pin is in a good spot, i go for it.  If it is in a "sucker" position, i will try to hit shot in that quarter of the green.  For whatever reason, when i am thinking about and understanding my proximity to the hole, my scores have gone down.

Sounds like you are following newer approaches. Breaking the green down in quarters is probably still a bit small unless you are probably under 100

But people have bigger dispersion at that distance, I am

Looking at 15-30 feet from 100ish and in. Outside of that you look at half and then middle. Play for par, avoid bogey and worse, birdies just happen.

I understand the Strokes gained stat, makes sense.  Especially the way you guys helped explain it.   My confusion comes in when it comes to club testing and the charts used here on MGS and if I'm understanding them correctly.   Take Best Blade putters for example.  The 0 line on the bar graph chart would be no improvement over average.   On one side you have -  and the other +.   So if the make percentage of a length of a certain putt was bad, it would be on the - side, meaning this club from that length is costing you strokes on the course.   And if the putter performed great at that length putt, it would be on the + side, meaning it performed better and is saving you strokes on the course.  Am I understanding that correctly? 

And in a category of most wanted where you just have a stat, like with most wanted drivers.  If that stat says -.018 you are saving strokes and if it was +.018 it is costing you strokes.  Correct? 

I think I am understanding it when I type it out but this seemed the perfect location on this thread to ask it. 

I understand the Strokes gained stat, makes sense.  Especially the way you guys helped explain it.   My confusion comes in when it comes to club testing and the charts used here on MGS and if I'm understanding them correctly.   Take Best Blade putters for example.  The 0 line on the bar graph chart would be no improvement over average.   On one side you have -  and the other +.   So if the make percentage of a length of a certain putt was bad, it would be on the - side, meaning this club from that length is costing you strokes on the course.   And if the putter performed great at that length putt, it would be on the + side, meaning it performed better and is saving you strokes on the course.  Am I understanding that correctly? 

And in a category of most wanted where you just have a stat, like with most wanted drivers.  If that stat says -.018 you are saving strokes and if it was +.018 it is costing you strokes.  Correct? 

I think I am understanding it when I type it out but this seemed the perfect location on this thread to ask it. 

Most wanted results use strokes gained to compare club to club with all testers instead of person to person. This is how they determine the best performing club: They find the club that falls in the middle; basically no strokes gained. Clubs that perform better gain strokes clubs that perform worse lose strokes.

The basics are: In the putter test 20 testers hit putts with every putter at distances of 5, wood, and 20 feet. They chart the makes and misses to find the middle number of makes. Anything that has more makes gains strokes and worse loses strokes.

Full swing clubs are slightly different since they take more variables into account like distance and dispersion. But it is still applied the same.

The only thing you have wrong is the + and -. Plus is gaining strokes on the field and - is losing strokes. You want to gain strokes.

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Most wanted results use strokes gained to compare club to club with all testers instead of person to person. This is how they determine the best performing club: They find the club that falls in the middle; basically no strokes gained. Clubs that perform better gain strokes clubs that perform worse lose strokes.

The basics are: In the putter test 20 testers hit putts with every putter at distances of 5, wood, and 20 feet. They chart the makes and misses to find the middle number of makes. Anything that has more makes gains strokes and worse loses strokes.

Full swing clubs are slightly different since they take more variables into account like distance and dispersion. But it is still applied the same.

The only thing you have wrong is the + and -. Plus is gaining strokes on the field and - is losing strokes. You want to gain strokes.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.  Hopefully I'm not the only one wondering on this one. 

Okay, thanks for the clarification.  Hopefully I'm not the only one wondering on this one. 

Based on the questions that are posted in the forum and on the main page articles, you are not the only one