Our Sponsors

I understand the Strokes gained stat, makes sense.  Especially the way you guys helped explain it.   My confusion comes in when it comes to club testing and the charts used here on MGS and if I'm understanding them correctly.   Take Best Blade putters for example.  The 0 line on the bar graph chart would be no improvement over average.   On one side you have -  and the other +.   So if the make percentage of a length of a certain putt was bad, it would be on the - side, meaning this club from that length is costing you strokes on the course.   And if the putter performed great at that length putt, it would be on the + side, meaning it performed better and is saving you strokes on the course.  Am I understanding that correctly? 

And in a category of most wanted where you just have a stat, like with most wanted drivers.  If that stat says -.018 you are saving strokes and if it was +.018 it is costing you strokes.  Correct? 

I think I am understanding it when I type it out but this seemed the perfect location on this thread to ask it. 

I understand the Strokes gained stat, makes sense.  Especially the way you guys helped explain it.   My confusion comes in when it comes to club testing and the charts used here on MGS and if I'm understanding them correctly.   Take Best Blade putters for example.  The 0 line on the bar graph chart would be no improvement over average.   On one side you have -  and the other +.   So if the make percentage of a length of a certain putt was bad, it would be on the - side, meaning this club from that length is costing you strokes on the course.   And if the putter performed great at that length putt, it would be on the + side, meaning it performed better and is saving you strokes on the course.  Am I understanding that correctly? 

And in a category of most wanted where you just have a stat, like with most wanted drivers.  If that stat says -.018 you are saving strokes and if it was +.018 it is costing you strokes.  Correct? 

I think I am understanding it when I type it out but this seemed the perfect location on this thread to ask it. 

Most wanted results use strokes gained to compare club to club with all testers instead of person to person. This is how they determine the best performing club: They find the club that falls in the middle; basically no strokes gained. Clubs that perform better gain strokes clubs that perform worse lose strokes.

The basics are: In the putter test 20 testers hit putts with every putter at distances of 5, wood, and 20 feet. They chart the makes and misses to find the middle number of makes. Anything that has more makes gains strokes and worse loses strokes.

Full swing clubs are slightly different since they take more variables into account like distance and dispersion. But it is still applied the same.

The only thing you have wrong is the + and -. Plus is gaining strokes on the field and - is losing strokes. You want to gain strokes.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Most wanted results use strokes gained to compare club to club with all testers instead of person to person. This is how they determine the best performing club: They find the club that falls in the middle; basically no strokes gained. Clubs that perform better gain strokes clubs that perform worse lose strokes.

The basics are: In the putter test 20 testers hit putts with every putter at distances of 5, wood, and 20 feet. They chart the makes and misses to find the middle number of makes. Anything that has more makes gains strokes and worse loses strokes.

Full swing clubs are slightly different since they take more variables into account like distance and dispersion. But it is still applied the same.

The only thing you have wrong is the + and -. Plus is gaining strokes on the field and - is losing strokes. You want to gain strokes.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.  Hopefully I'm not the only one wondering on this one. 

Okay, thanks for the clarification.  Hopefully I'm not the only one wondering on this one. 

Based on the questions that are posted in the forum and on the main page articles, you are not the only one

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG