TESTERS WANTED! ×

Marking Your ball- How and why?

Reesedw

I was reading something this weekend about ball numbers and markings. I thought this might be a good topic of discussion to see what every one does and why.

For me I use 1 single blue Dot off the end of the name on the ball, on both sides..I have other sharpies, but only use the Green to mark in the same way if I am using it for a shot I might use a shag ball.. 

I just happend to have a blue sharpie one day in league and there were 2 of us playing the same ball and number so I put a blue dot on it.. no real reason other than that.. Once in a while I'll have my daughter who is 9, to mark one for me but usually just a blue dot. 

My father in law puts a frowning face on his.. He was having a bad day so he did it, had a much better back 9 so he keeps it up.. 

what do you do and why? do you use a specific Number? only 1 color sharpie? What,,, Lets see what we all do.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I used to put a blue line through the name on the ball.  My regular playing partners use green and red, so blue seemed like a logical choice.  I told my wife about it and she said that was weird, "you normally don't like blue balls."  I now play truvis balls, so I don't need to mark them unless I'm hitting a provisional.  

Green dot over top of the number on both sides, no idea why i started doing it

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

One dot is usually enough for me. I sometimes use my little stamper.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I don't mark mine at all. Mainly because I tend to play brands that no one in the group plays. Or I play a yellow ball

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I typically don't mark mine either. If I do, when I'm playing Chrome Soft I'll mark it just below the V so it looks like a medal 🥇

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Only started doing it because I entered in a few tournaments last year so figured I'd save any confusion of us having the same ball. Purple dot to the right of the number. Use that colour until the sharpie runs out then grab another colour.

Have experimented with drawing a line over the arrow/model extending past the writing to help with alignment. Not finding I really putt that much better, so on the fence on that

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I don't generally mark mine. The group I play with all use titleist/Nike/Callaway and I use taylormade or srixon so I've never had the need to mark it.

My father puts his fancy signature on it mainly because he plays a ton of different balls and could grab any brand out of his bag at any time.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

6 black dots around the number--- Copied from my old man--- If I have a choice I play higher numbered balls sorta by habit--- When my old man ran a shop and course he always played #1 balls. Usually with Acushnet (Titleist) they sent the order with high and low numbers. Those gamblers were superstitious they would not play a ball numbered over 4. The higher numbered balls were hard to sell at his shop so I bought them at cost. #8 Pro V 1 is my favorite ball for some reason.

Footnote; Back in the old man's days they were easily marked by taking a sharp pencil and identing the dots in the soft balata cover now days I have to use a Sharpie even on "soft" balls

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I just put a dot somewhere near the number. I am not vet consistent from ball to ball

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I normally don't mark mine anymore. If I do, for a tournament or whatever I will put a blue or green alignment line on them.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

I always use a red Sharpie and draw a line along the alignment aid on the ball.  Then I draw a line perpendicular to an end of that line, forming a T.  The stem of the T is used off the tee and on the green to point to the path, and the top of the T aligns my driver or putter face to that path.  I can't putt without it, and off the tee it eliminates the chance of a poor shot when the tee box aims you at trouble.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I put a red dot above and below the manufacturers name on each side of the ball.   My buds with whom I play most often will do the same in some fashion using different colors-blue, green and black.   We can tell who is who just by looking at the dot colors.   While it doesn't happen often, I love it when the red dots are the farthest from the tee.   

Its also a good idea to use balls with different numbers.   If you need to hit a provisional, you will know which ball is which if you locate both balls. 

ALWAYS mark mine. Use to circle the number but had another mark the same, then I'd color in the circle but once again played with someone who did the same. So now I circle the number, then depending if number is above or below I'll put a dot. And always blue

dcc8c941752b5b5e07eb408dc554f300.jpg

A cross just above and to the left of the brand name for me. Sort of a faith reminder.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

ALWAYS mark mine. Use to circle the number but had another mark the same, then I'd color in the circle but once again played with someone who did the same. So now I circle the number, then depending if number is above or below I'll put a dot. And always blue

dcc8c941752b5b5e07eb408dc554f300.jpg

I circle the number with blue. No dot .

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

... I was playing around one day about 10 years ago trying to find something unique and came up with two black and two red dots. So far I have not seen anyone else with anything close to it:

Ball Markings.JPG

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Kinda worn out but happened to have one in my office attachicon.gif20170612_113000

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Love the logo.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I don't usually mark mine either because I'll usually just play random balls on most rounds.  When I'm playing a meaningful round I'll use a fresh set of balls and I'll mark them in the following way.  Starting from the number on the ball I'll draw an imaginary line straight down until I run into a dimple that is perfectly (or close to) centered under that number.  I'll trace the outline of the dimple and then put a small line to make it look like a "Q". 

I circle the number with blue. No dot .

I also circle the number. Almost always with blue. Thought I was really unique. Apparently NOT.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I underline the number and put a minus sign in front of the number. All done with a red sharpie. A reminder that I want to be in red digits across the board. Sadly, my play reflects the opposite of red digits, lol.

MDGolfHacker

Just as an FYI, I also go through a box of balls prior to the round and reorder the balls in each sleeve so the sleeves would have the following numbered balls:

Sleeve 1: 1, 2, 3

Sleeve 2: 2, 3, 4

Sleeve 3: 3, 4, 1

Sleeve 4: 4, 1, 2

I also mark the balls during this pre-round routine. So even if I lose a ball, I know what number I'll be playing next.

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I put a black dot on each side of the number, kind of spaced a little ways out.  If I need to hit a provisional with the same number, I'll add an additional dot just below the number.  I used to do this with the point of the pencil, just the same way, but a sharpie is easier to see.

As for why, I started marking them that way when I started playing in competitions over 20 years ago.  Now I do it every time I play, it just feels wrong to play a ball I haven't marked.

As a side note, I know a guy who coaches D-3 college golf.  He has his players mark only one side of the ball.  The reason, if you need to mark and lift your ball in order to identify it, you're required to replace it in the same lie, and you're not allowed to clean it.  However, you're not required to replace it in the same orientation, so you could rotate it a bit to make sure that the glob of mud isn't at the contact point for the next shot.  Marking it on one side only may give a player an (extremely small, statistically) opportunity to improve his situation, completely within the rules.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I always use a red Sharpie and draw a line along the alignment aid on the ball.  Then I draw a line perpendicular to an end of that line, forming a T.  The stem of the T is used off the tee and on the green to point to the path, and the top of the T aligns my driver or putter face to that path.  I can't putt without it, and off the tee it eliminates the chance of a poor shot when the tee box aims you at trouble.

I sorta do that old school style but use the name brand logo especially on as you said when certain funky tee boxes aim you at trouble. A lot of folks do not know that last little tidbit though about the tee boxes

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I put a red dot above and below the manufacturers name on each side of the ball.   My buds with whom I play most often will do the same in some fashion using different colors-blue, green and black.   We can tell who is who just by looking at the dot colors.   While it doesn't happen often, I love it when the red dots are the farthest from the tee.   

Its also a good idea to use balls with different numbers.   If you need to hit a provisional, you will know which ball is which if you locate both balls. 

What we used to do when I played comp on the minis was exactly that and if the case popped up tell your playing competetor for example My provisional is a #4, Usually #8 was my play ball and #6 was my provisional

G

A cross just above and to the left of the brand name for me. Sort of a faith reminder.

Don't quote me for sure but I think Zach Johnson or Webb Simpson does the same thing for the same reasons

G

Archived