TESTERS WANTED! ×

Marking Your ball- How and why?

Reesedw

I put a black dot on each side of the number, kind of spaced a little ways out.  If I need to hit a provisional with the same number, I'll add an additional dot just below the number.  I used to do this with the point of the pencil, just the same way, but a sharpie is easier to see.

As for why, I started marking them that way when I started playing in competitions over 20 years ago.  Now I do it every time I play, it just feels wrong to play a ball I haven't marked.

As a side note, I know a guy who coaches D-3 college golf.  He has his players mark only one side of the ball.  The reason, if you need to mark and lift your ball in order to identify it, you're required to replace it in the same lie, and you're not allowed to clean it.  However, you're not required to replace it in the same orientation, so you could rotate it a bit to make sure that the glob of mud isn't at the contact point for the next shot.  Marking it on one side only may give a player an (extremely small, statistically) opportunity to improve his situation, completely within the rules.

Pretty sharp cookie that coach I never thought about it. And as you said it is completely within the scope and spirit of the rules

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I spin my golf ball in one of those Lil machines & use a red sharpie. Gets me a line around the whole ball. Great to align when putting. Also leaves a red mark on the club face when teeing off & align the red mark vertically. I can then check impact on the club face. If someone else uses same ball & same red line ... I add #437 under logo. My initials upside down. LEH.

Sent from my XT1650 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

A neon orange sharpie line through the TaylorMade, a small "–" next to the number (what I want to shoot!), a dot below-right of the number and a line through the alignment aid pre-printed on the ball. I don't use this line to line up. I like a blank face on the tee and greens.

I love the colour orange and the markings are always visible when identifying a ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I also circle the number. Almost always with blue. Thought I was really unique. Apparently NOT.

I knew I was the only one in our senior group that circled the number in blue.  I suppose we are universal golf ball marking bruthers  now.  ;) 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Don't quote me for sure but I think Zach Johnson or Webb Simpson does the same thing for the same reasons

If memory serves I believe you are correct sir

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Black dot left end of Srixon logo on both sides of the ball. Started marking like this years ago.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I don't usually mark mine, I'm usually the only one playing a titliest that isn't a prov1

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Green line around the ball. I like green and I use the line to aim my putts.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I put a black dot directly above the "Titleist" and another directly below the number; done on both sides.  That way, I can almost always tell if the ball is mine as there will always be at least one of the dots showing.

Why that way?  I dunno, just always done it that way.  Tried some different patterns and just brought me bad luck

My Weapons of Grass Destruction 🏌️‍♂️

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke S

:titelist-small: 917F2 15* Diamana Blue 70 S

:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Evenflow Blue 85HY S

:titelist-small: 716 AP2 4-P AMT White S300

:vokey-small: SM7 50.12 F bent 1* weak, SM7 56.14 F, SM7 60.08 M - S200

:odyssey-small: Black Series 3

RH - Ontario 🇨🇦 and Ohio 🇺🇸

Avg. score 85-92

I have a 3 year old daughter. What do you think? On top of the alignment Iines I put on for lining my driver. My daughter puts all kinds of marking and writing on the balls. I kinda like it now. One perk is that it usually leaves an ink mark on the club face so I know where I hit the ball.

One blue dot and two pink dots for my son and two daughters. Also unique and easy to identify.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

My daughter has marked my ball also, sometimes even when asked to.. LOL here is the last one... I has to send her a picture to show her i was using it.. 

Jadeball.jpg

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Used to just grab whatever sharpie was in my bag, then I went to a red 44 (my number) over the ball #. Lately I've gone to just a green dot over the ball #

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I use the Skull Tin Cup to mark my ball on the side, Blue

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I put a really wide alignment stripe over where it says "pro V1". Helps me align my putts better(as compared to the normal sharpie width line). Carry two balls. One red stripe one black. Just grab one and start playing if it's acting up it goes in left pocket and the other one comes out. Use two colors purely for provisional purposes.

CobraConnectChallenge3

Mine have revkev stamped on them and they are all number 8's.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'd always just made a red dot above the right side of the ball's logo.

Until my kids bought me a tin-cup stencil do-hickey thing. They both go to NC State so I said, "cool, is that a wolf's paw print?"

"No," my daughter said. "We tried to find something wolf-like but couldn't find one. It's a dog's paw, or maybe a bear... or something. You'll still use it, right?"

Lol... yup, works for me. Various solid colors usually, multi is only when I'm really bored. 😉20170616_180258.jpg

IMG_1178.JPG

Started marking my ball with a black dot over the name. Just did it that way maybe 15 years ago because it was different than everyone else's.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Archived