TESTERS WANTED! ×

Your course design philosophy

TheWahoo

Aside from a napkin drawing designing a golf course is more than probably anyone here have experience with. Yeah sure... you and me can sketch one out. But that's little more than dreaming and doodling. The guys that own my home course are businessmen I suppose you can call them. They're not even serious golfers. Hackers really. They have taken it upon themselves a couple of times already to make changes to the course resulting in stupidity. And everyone agrees... except the owners. They think it's... "Cool". You can ruin a golf hole in a hurry if you don't know what you're doing. And the guys that own my course have done just that. Foolish.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Aside from a napkin drawing designing a golf course is more than probably anyone here have experience with. Yeah sure... you and me can sketch one out. But that's little more than dreaming and doodling. The guys that own my home course are businessmen I suppose you can call them. They're not even serious golfers. Hackers really. They have taken it upon themselves a couple of times already to make changes to the course resulting in stupidity. And everyone agrees... except the owners. They think it's... "Cool". You can ruin a golf hole in a hurry if you don't know what you're doing. And the guys that own my course have done just that. Foolish.

That is insane. What kind of changes? Volcano green with the pin at the top?

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

A course that uses every club in the bag. I like varying distances for different holes. For example, I don't like going to course where all the par 3s are the same distances and you are using the same club. I think a good course has varying hole distances short and long. I like green complexes with different zones that are differentiated by elevation, shape, or bunkering. Rolling hills that is a walkable course, not too severe. Gotta have trees. While I like links style courses, I really like more tree-lined courses. Finally, try to eliminate blind shots especially when hitting into greens. I don't like blind shots where you can see the pins from the fairway. 

I used to work for a golf course architect that worked with RTJ for years and was thinking about going into the field so I have thought a lot about this. Haha. 

:taylormade-small:

:titleist-small:

I'm big on the idea of 3 6's instead of front and back 9. Being able to play 6, 12 or 18 opens up lots of possibilities. And I want my course to be fun for players of all levels. Obstructions to carry off the tee would be well down the fairway to challenge the longer hitters. The fairways would be widest in the 180-240 yard region with no fairway bunkers in that zone. At least two par 4s between 250-320 and at least one hole each side that had a generous slope that would feed shots down into the green. Greenside bunkers would be left and right to catch sideways approach shots instead of in front of the green. As much as I love trees they prohibit airflow and raise maintenance cost of greens so I'm thinking more rolling dunes and links style rather than tree lined. Firm and fast would be the standard. All players will have pace of play monitored and anyone wanting to book weekend morning tee times must maintain a sub 4 hour average. Music without profanity is encouraged, kids are encouraged, women are encouraged. Singles only allowed to play 6 holes before 9 am and after 5 pm.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I'm big on the idea of 3 6's instead of front and back 9. Being able to play 6, 12 or 18 opens up lots of possibilities. And I want my course to be fun for players of all levels. Obstructions to carry off the tee would be well down the fairway to challenge the longer hitters. The fairways would be widest in the 180-240 yard region with no fairway bunkers in that zone. At least two par 4s between 250-320 and at least one hole each side that had a generous slope that would feed shots down into the green. Greenside bunkers would be left and right to catch sideways approach shots instead of in front of the green. As much as I love trees they prohibit airflow and raise maintenance cost of greens so I'm thinking more rolling dunes and links style rather than tree lined. Firm and fast would be the standard. All players will have pace of play monitored and anyone wanting to book weekend morning tee times must maintain a sub 4 hour average. Music without profanity is encouraged, kids are encouraged, women are encouraged. Singles only allowed to play 6 holes before 9 am and after 5 pm.

This is a solid philosophy. Teeing off singles has always been a major pet peeve. I have scratch buddies back in TX that never play because they don't have 5 hours to burn on the weekend. The two that came to mind have both firmly come to believe #golfshouldbe12holes

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Archived