TESTERS WANTED! ×

Guitars

Shankster

I used to have a 72 Les Paul but sold it some time ago - big mistake, but I needed the money.

I now have a Fender Telecaster blacktop, which is a little gem of a guitar and very capable of many different tones and styles. And it isn't quite a PITA to keep in tune like the old Les Paul was - but I guess you never quite lose the liking for an old classic. A bit like golf clubs I guess.

Just down the road a piece from my office on Kent Island, there is a guitar manufacturer-Paul Reed Smith.   I don't know that much about guitars, back many, many years ago in my youth, I was a drummer in a local club band.  During my high school years, my buds and I formed what is commonly referred as a garage band.   We played the local school dances and teen clubs.   But for what its worth, the lead and rhythm guitars players used Gibson and the base player used Fender.

I live in the "Bluegrass Capital of the World".  Host of the worlds oldest and largest Fiddlers Convention ( http://www.oldfiddlersconvention.com/default.htm).  You would be amazed at the world renowned musicians that come here every year.  It's nothing for me to walk outside my office onto Main Street and see Vince Gill, Marty Stuart, Wayne Henderson (Henderson Guitars), Dori Freeman, The Church Sisters or Zac Brown just hanging out on the corner jamming.

Jimmy Edmunds' shop is about 4 blocks from my office.  You can watch some of the videos on his website ( http://www.edmondsguitars.com/ ) to see some of the famous people he makes his $20,000 guitars for.

My daughters guitar teacher for the past two years is a world famous session musician, Chester McMillian.  He has played on some of the biggest selling albums of all time.  Nashville sends a plane to pick him up quite often.  My daughter has played on stage with Rhonda Vincent, The Church Sisters, and a bunch of bluegrass bands i'm sure nobody on here has heard of.  Several locals were on Hee Haw (no joke) for years, including Roni Stoneman. her dad was Pop Stoneman who lived here most of his life.

Here is a pic of Zac Brown down the street from my office.  Notice, he is playing an Edmunds guitar!

Zac Brown.jpg

I live in the "Bluegrass Capital of the World". Host of the worlds oldest and largest Fiddlers Convention ( http://www.oldfiddlersconvention.com/default.htm). You would be amazed at the world renowned musicians that come here every year. It's nothing for me to walk outside my office onto Main Street and see Vince Gill, Marty Stuart, Wayne Henderson (Henderson Guitars), Dori Freeman, The Church Sisters or Zac Brown just hanging out on the corner jamming.

Jimmy Edmunds' shop is about 4 blocks from my office. You can watch some of the videos on his website ( http://www.edmondsguitars.com/ ) to see some of the famous people he makes his $20,000 guitars for.

My daughters guitar teacher for the past two years is a world famous session musician, Chester McMillian. He has played on some of the biggest selling albums of all time. Nashville sends a plane to pick him up quite often. My daughter has played on stage with Rhonda Vincent, The Church Sisters, and a bunch of bluegrass bands i'm sure nobody on here has heard of. Several locals were on Hee Haw (no joke) for years, including Roni Stoneman. her dad was Pop Stoneman who lived here most of his life.

Here is a pic of Zac Brown down the street from my office. Notice, he is playing an Edmunds guitar!

That's awesome sixcat!!

- Alan

Just down the road a piece from my office on Kent Island, there is a guitar manufacturer-Paul Reed Smith. I don't know that much about guitars, back many, many years ago in my youth, I was a drummer in a local club band. During my high school years, my buds and I formed what is commonly referred as a garage band. We played the local school dances and teen clubs. But for what its worth, the lead and rhythm guitars players used Gibson and the base player used Fender.

Paul Reed Smith?! Holy crap! They make amazing basses.

- Alan

Just down the road a piece from my office on Kent Island, there is a guitar manufacturer-Paul Reed Smith. I don't know that much about guitars, back many, many years ago in my youth, I was a drummer in a local club band. During my high school years, my buds and I formed what is commonly referred as a garage band. We played the local school dances and teen clubs. But for what its worth, the lead and rhythm guitars players used Gibson and the base player used Fender.

PRS guitars are legit, those babies are absolutely beautiful and sound amazing.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I've always been a sax player. Head a couple opportunities in college to Jan on open Mike, but never made the leap. Now I occasionally play at church.

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I've always been a sax player. Head a couple opportunities in college to Jan on open Mike, but never made the leap. Now I occasionally play at church.

planet earth

Nice! I played Alto and Bari in Band. I play once a year or so now. Thought about picking up a soprano.

- Alan

Just noticed auto correct changed a bunch of words. Guess I need to read before send😎.

I like my Alto.

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

It's not guitar but I was a music major - trumpet! I played in a big band after college and made a few bucks on the side. It was fun, I miss playing, a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Those Martins are pretty interesting looking. Definitely got the rustic vibe which is cool.

I play guitar, electric and acoustic. For acoustic it is mostly fingerstyle country blues, Robert Johnson, Lightnin' Hopkins and the like which has been really difficult to learn but is really fun. As for electric, I'm a classic rocker through and through. Thin Lizzy, Pat Travers, Montrose, Zeppelin...the heavier 70's rock is my taste.

I've had lots of different guitars, but have really paired down to only 3 at the moment. A Gibson J-15 for strumming campfire songs, a Recording King 000 for acoustic blues and a custom build Les Paul by Larry Corsa. The custom Corsa looks like Peter Green's magic Les Paul and is sexy as all hell.

45E91272-0998-4AD1-95A8-BCE171196DF0-6698-00000464F0D30195.jpeg

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I can't play a lick, but I love guitar players. Who are your favorites? I'll chime in with mine after I see what some of you "players" have to say.

I think we discussed earlier the absolutely killer playing of Rory Gallagher, everyone that loves rock and blues should give him a listen. Robin Trower is a beast, especially back in the day when James Dewar was singing for him. I'm a huge Johnny Winter fan as well. He's a guy that never gets the recognition he deserves and is never heard on classic rock radio. My all-time favorite is Duane Allman. The recordings of the Allman Brothers from 69-71 are an incredible record of improvisational jams that have never been matched.

Gregg Allmans death has had me listening to has first solo album "Laid Back" a lot recently. Man, I love his voice. So soulful.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

I am a drummer and gig once or twice a month. I also play guitar, but not at a gigging level.

I've got an SG, an ASAT Leo Fender signature tele, a fender acoustic electric, and the sweetest guild F50 maple jumbo you could ever have with full pearl inlays.

My drums are pearl reference pures, and an older set of pearl masters. And I have more cymbals than I know what to do with...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I am a drummer and gig once or twice a month. I also play guitar, but not at a gigging level.

I've got an SG, an ASAT Leo Fender signature tele, a fender acoustic electric, and the sweetest guild F50 maple jumbo you could ever have with full pearl inlays.

My drums are pearl reference pures, and an older set of pearl masters. And I have more cymbals than I know what to do with...

I can no longer call myself a drummer because I haven't sat on the Throne and my Federation card expired at least 35 years ago.   But speaking as a former drummer, we should let these guitar players know that the front men did not get all the girls.  Back in the day, when I was playing the local club circuits, the keyboard guy and I had our moments in that regard.  

I've actually played a few different instruments throughout my life. In middle school I played clarinet, trumpet and then got into drums. In high school I started learning acoustic guitar and drums a little more. As of now I just play acoustic occasionally (modern Jack Johnson type stuff) and then drums occasionally (heavier stuff). I've never been GREAT at anything but I'm mediocre at everything, including golf

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

I used to have a 72 Les Paul but sold it some time ago - big mistake, but I needed the money.

I now have a Fender Telecaster blacktop, which is a little gem of a guitar and very capable of many different tones and styles. And it isn't quite a PITA to keep in tune like the old Les Paul was - but I guess you never quite lose the liking for an old classic. A bit like golf clubs I guess.

I love Tele's. The simplicity and ruggedness. My favorite electric after a LP.

I had a Norlin era Gibson LP as well, a 1981 Artist. Got tired of picking up that 11 lb. beast and sold it. It was a sweet guitar though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

I love Tele's. The simplicity and ruggedness. My favorite electric after a LP.

I had a Norlin era Gibson LP as well, a 1981 Artist. Got tired of picking up that 11 lb. beast and sold it. It was a sweet guitar though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeah - some of those older Gibsons sure were heavy beasts with all that mahogany. Wouldn't mind picking up one again for old times sake though.