Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ping G400

Shankster

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You boys got me drooling like a basset hound on date night with this Ping G400 talk!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

You boys got me drooling like a basset hound on date night with this Ping G400 talk!

They are sharp looking. I don't know if I've ever seen a set of "GI" irons that have looked this good. And I have never gamed ping irons. I can't wait to swing these soon.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Might be time to retire the I25. I think I will be in line on the 27th to get the G400. Looks nice will have to see what numbers I get out of it. Will let you know if I goes in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Idk what it is about this line. I've never really been excited about other releases before, including other brands. Just something about the G400s, maybe those sexy shafts? Would love a driver, FW, and hybrid or crossover.

Wishful thinking.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Idk what it is about this line. I've never really been excited about other releases before, including other brands. Just something about the G400s, maybe those sexy shafts? Would love a driver, FW, and hybrid or crossover.

Wishful thinking.

Yeah. I hear you. I think the last thing that I really cared about was....

I am looking forward to what the updates on the rest of their stuff will be, like Copper iBlades, and Glide 3.0's...

I like how they are super professional about it, their website is like a lab, they tell you everything you need to know with out all the BS.

Pretty sure they have the guy that designs fighter jets working for them, an ex swat guy, but then they also have the most interesting man in golf. And maybe some NASA engineers...

Tactical meets Classical.

Bucking the trend, making a smaller driver?? Andgetting better results?? Yes please!!

- Alan

Wishful thinking.

I'm the same way. T's article and results are hard to ignore though. I've been really wanting an epic but I'm going to have to wait and see if I can find a shaft that fits me with the G400 head and see what its all about before I go pulling any triggers though.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Yeah. I hear you. I think the last thing that I really cared about was....

I am looking forward to what the updates on the rest of their stuff will be, like Copper iBlades, and Glide 3.0's...

I like how they are super professional about it, their website is like a lab, they tell you everything you need to know with out all the BS.

Pretty sure they have the guy that designs fighter jets working for them, an ex swat guy, but then they also have the most interesting man in golf. And maybe some NASA engineers...

Tactical meets Classical.

Bucking the trend, making a smaller driver?? Andgetting better results?? Yes please!!

- Alan

This is why, IMO, Ping is one of those brands that's ahead of others. I like the way they do things, not just with their clubs. From their website, to their fittings, all of it.

And, I agree with guy on the glides. I've never really took interest into Glide wedges because I felt that others (Callaway, Clevleland, Titleist) were the prime products in that category. I never really thought about going to Ping wedges, but maybe that will change if they introduce some new 3.0s.

I'm the same way. T's article and results are hard to ignore though. I've been really wanting an epic but I'm going to have to wait and see if I can find a shaft that fits me with the G400 head and see what its all about before I go pulling any triggers though.

My problem is I just bought an F7+ about 4 or so months ago. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it, but just seeing that new driver makes me want one. I have a problem. I should've never watched those reviews haha. I doubt I will get one anytime soon, but damn a man can dream.

Would be cool if their stock shaft fit you, due to how appealing it is and how well it just fits with that driver.

Agree about the shaft. The T800 6.0 and I get alone like long lost best friends. I'm wondering if the HZRDUS yellow and I would get alone just as well.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Ok. Here we go.

I went to Miles of Golf in Ypsilanti, Michigan, to go through a driver fitting MAINLY to see if I'm leaving anything on the table. I did not have my personal driver, so I have them build me what I had been fitted to: Sub Zero with Hzrdus Black 75g 6.5.

At Miles of Golf you hit out of a bay on to the range and all tracking is done via TrackMan, the latest machine. I had warmed-up on the range prior to my fitting hitting 7 irons first, then hitting the G400 turned down to 8* with the NV 75X shaft. Wind was behind me a good bit, maybe 10-15 mph. I get nice and warmed-up with the iron, I stretched, even took two acetaminophen ("Tylenol"), and proceeded to hit the driver.

First hit... Carried into the trees beyond the 270 marker... Probably 280+ carry. Easy. I hit about 10 more. Same thing, 1/2 missing a bit right. I noticed the face sits open, so I make a hands and an alignment adjustment. Ball keeps going, same spot. I'm thinking, "Wow! This is legit!" So I go inside and wait until my fitting time.

The fitter comes to get me and asks me what my purpose was for today's driver fitting. I told him. He asked what my club specs were and so told him. Ultimately, I wanted to see if I'm leaving yards on the table, or can I improve my miss significantly. So, he builds me "my club", SZ Hzrdus Black 75g 6.5. I hit about 8 balls. He says.... "Yeah. It will be tough to beat that!"

I was hitting lasers. 290 carry, 1800/1900 spin, 16* launch, 300+ on the best ones. Averaging 285+ carry, 161'ball speed, 109 swing speed. Anywhere from 1.49 to 1.52 smash... Killing the SZ.

He goes and builds me the G400 LST 8.5, knocks it down to its lowest loft, Atmos Black 7X shaft, closest thing they have in a Ping tip to a Hzrdus Black. Here we go! Game time!

Boom!!!! Straight, long, but hangs in the air. Hmm. Ok. 2800 spin... Too high. Hit another. Boom! Hangs again. 16* launch. Ball speed hits 164 at one point (highest ever for me), swing speed picks-up as high as 111 (highest in years), but I CANNOT get the spin below 2800!!!!! What the heck?! I look at the club to make sure, and yep, it's the LST, the lowest spinning option of the G400 series. I tee the ball higher and try to catch it higher on the face to knock-off spin. No luck!

The spin was absolutely KILLING the distance. 260 carry, 271 carry, 268 carry, 273 carry... Nothing even close to SZ!!! Dang it!

We grab the SZ again, and same results. Lasers. Straight. 290 carry, 297-302 totals. 16 launch.

We switch shafts in the LST to the Hzrdus yellow. 2800 spin, and I start missing left and right. 1000 spin difference?! I'm hitting with +4 to +5 angle of attack, so not adding spin. We could NOT get the spin down. It was lofted the lowest it would go, lowest spinning shaft they had for a Ping fitting, lowest spinning head in the G400 series. Nothing worked...

We ended-up trying the 2017 M1 440 and although I hit it well, directionally I was worse and not as long as my SZ.

I called Ping customer service and asked them what else I could do.. "Tee it lower... Buy one with a Hzrdus Black shaft (but not available in all fitting locations)... Bring launch down from 16 to 14 or 12 (how? Lowest lofted, lowest spinning driver you make already!).

So, in the end, the driver I play is MUCH better than the G400 LST at this point. It wasn't even close, and I'm SHOCKED, honestly. I can't believe it. I guess the moral of the story is, as always, GO THROUGH A FITTING!!!!!!!!!!

I would LOVE to get an LST to try that was an 8.5 and has a Hzrdus Black 75g 6.5 shaft in it!!!! Now THAT might be the head-to-head I could write about!!!!!

**** Ive tried to post pics, but, once again, it keeps saying it can't load them... Back to this issue again! Well, I'll see if I can get them posted later.*********

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Ok. Here we go.

I went to Miles of Golf in Ypsilanti, Michigan, to go through a driver fitting MAINLY to see if I'm leaving anything on the table. I did not have my personal driver, so I have them build me what I had been fitted to: Sub Zero with Hzrdus Black 75g 6.5.

At Miles of Golf you hit out of a bay on to the range and all tracking is done via TrackMan, the latest machine. I had warmed-up on the range prior to my fitting hitting 7 irons first, then hitting the G400 turned down to 8* with the NV 75X shaft. Wind was behind me a good bit, maybe 10-15 mph. I get nice and warmed-up with the iron, I stretched, even took two acetaminophen ("Tylenol"), and proceeded to hit the driver.

First hit... Carried into the trees beyond the 270 marker... Probably 280+ carry. Easy. I hit about 10 more. Same thing, 1/2 missing a bit right. I noticed the face sits open, so I make a hands and an alignment adjustment. Ball keeps going, same spot. I'm thinking, "Wow! This is legit!" So I go inside and wait until my fitting time.

The fitter comes to get me and asks me what my purpose was for today's driver fitting. I told him. He asked what my club specs were and so told him. Ultimately, I wanted to see if I'm leaving yards on the table, or can I improve my miss significantly. So, he builds me "my club", SZ Hzrdus Black 75g 6.5. I hit about 8 balls. He says.... "Yeah. It will be tough to beat that!"

I was hitting lasers. 290 carry, 1800/1900 spin, 16* launch, 300+ on the best ones. Averaging 285+ carry, 161'ball speed, 109 swing speed. Anywhere from 1.49 to 1.52 smash... Killing the SZ.

He goes and builds me the G400 LST 8.5, knocks it down to its lowest loft, Atmos Black 7X shaft, closest thing they have in a Ping tip to a Hzrdus Black. Here we go! Game time!

Boom!!!! Straight, long, but hangs in the air. Hmm. Ok. 2800 spin... Too high. Hit another. Boom! Hangs again. 16* launch. Ball speed hits 164 at one point (highest ever for me), swing speed picks-up as high as 111 (highest in years), but I CANNOT get the spin below 2800!!!!! What the heck?! I look at the club to make sure, and yep, it's the LST, the lowest spinning option of the G400 series. I tee the ball higher and try to catch it higher on the face to knock-off spin. No luck!

The spin was absolutely KILLING the distance. 260 carry, 271 carry, 268 carry, 273 carry... Nothing even close to SZ!!! Dang it!

We grab the SZ again, and same results. Lasers. Straight. 290 carry, 297-302 totals. 16 launch.

We switch shafts in the LST to the Hzrdus yellow. 2800 spin, and I start missing left and right. 1000 spin difference?! I'm hitting with +4 to +5 angle of attack, so not adding spin. We could NOT get the spin down. It was lofted the lowest it would go, lowest spinning shaft they had for a Ping fitting, lowest spinning head in the G400 series. Nothing worked...

We ended-up trying the 2017 M1 440 and although I hit it well, directionally I was worse and not as long as my SZ.

I called Ping customer service and asked them what else I could do.. "Tee it lower... Buy one with a Hzrdus Black shaft (but not available in all fitting locations)... Bring launch down from 16 to 14 or 12 (how? Lowest lofted, lowest spinning driver you make already!).

So, in the end, the driver I play is MUCH better than the G400 LST at this point. It wasn't even close, and I'm SHOCKED, honestly. I can't believe it. I guess the moral of the story is, as always, GO THROUGH A FITTING!!!!!!!!!!

I would LOVE to get an LST to try that was an 8.5 and has a Hzrdus Black 75g 6.5 shaft in it!!!! Now THAT might be the head-to-head I could write about!!!!!

**** Ive tried to post pics, but, once again, it keeps saying it can't load them... Back to this issue again! Well, I'll see if I can get them posted later.*********

It was worth a try you seem to have the perfect driver already in the bag thanks for the write up

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

If the MyGolfSpy admins want to do a driver test for the G400, I'm signing up and praying!

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

I ended up ordering a Ping G400 LS today after trying it out at my fitter. I was really impressed with the combination of forgiveness, feel, and distance it offered. My current driver (the XR16 Sub Zero) is longer but nowhere close to as forgiving. I need to be in play more often to keep the scores down and I think the Ping will help me do that. With the Ping I was getting around 2400 spin with total distance in the 280s. I got total distance in the 290s with the XR16 SZ but I'm not nearly as consistent with it. I'm done chasing max distance and now understand I need more forgiveness. When I'm on the XR16 SZ is the best driver I've ever hit, but on my bad days it can get ugly. I'm really hoping the Ping G400 LS will help with that. I think it might be the best feeling driver I've ever hit as well. It sounds so much better than the G did. Can't wait to get it.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

G400 irons going in the bag tomorrow - they've been beastly on the range, and so easy to hit.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I hit a demo today at Golf Galaxy. 8.5 LS with the pro XS shaft. Very food feel and felt solid. Was a great feeling club. There simulator seems way off so I do not have any real numbers from the swings. Going to try one at a different shop where they have a better launch monitor to see the results. I am pretty sure I will be getting one in a few weeks. Fit my eye well and felt solid. Great driver!

The G400 irons have moved to the top of my ponder list

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

The G400 irons have moved to the top of my ponder list

Me also although Driver makes more sense for me. I will only be one generation behind with irons when the new batch comes out. I will be three generations behind driver wise as new one he's come me out which is time to do more than ponder.

Still I would love to bag Ping Irons one more time while I have a little game and the Ping nostalgia is pulling at my heart strings.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Me also although Driver makes more sense for me. I will only be one generation behind with irons when the new batch comes out. I will be three generations behind driver wise as new one he's come me out which is time to do more than ponder.

Still I would love to bag Ping Irons one more time while I have a little game and the Ping nostalgia is pulling at my heart strings.

Yep I'm leaning towards jumping on the Ping bandwagon this year.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I think tonight is the night I head over to Golftown and try out the G400.. Going to take my G5 with me and compare the two against each other and see what the results are..

Not sure which way I'm going to spend my money.. new driver or a new set of wedges.... the internal debate is still raging on!

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

I think tonight is the night I head over to Golftown and try out the G400.. Going to take my G5 with me and compare the two against each other and see what the results are..

Not sure which way I'm going to spend my money.. new driver or a new set of wedges.... the internal debate is still raging on!

Would love to see some launch monitor data comparing the 2

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Club Champion with a 30 minute free-trial!!!! I called-in and they told me I could tell the guys what shaft to put me in to start the trial. This will be my opportunity to try a Hzrdus Black in the LST!!!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

G400 irons going in the bag tomorrow - they've been beastly on the range, and so easy to hit.

How'd the g400's work out ?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Archived