TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ping G400

Shankster

Hit them today. Love everything but the Crossover sound def unusual. Driver about 8 yards longer than my G LST. The 3 wood shape not as good looking as the G imo. But they are really good looking line as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I went last night and tried out the G400 (standard 10.5deg with stock stiff shaft) and was hitting it great! average drive was right around the 300 yrd mark with. I did try the Hazard Yellow low spin shaft and wasn't a fan which surprised me.

Typical shot shape was a nice little draw that started right of the center line and came back to center. Also hit the Callaway Epic (did not like it much but was consistently longer like 315-325yrds..but more off center and bigger miss hits..) Club head speed was averaged around 108, with a spike of 113! up from my current of 105-107mph..

I'm going back tomorrow to do a proper club comparison as I got there late and go stuck on a launch monitor that only picked up about 1/3rd of my shots.. They eventually moved me over to one that work.. but was pretty tired by that point.

So once I get that data on the comparison I will post it here for you guys to see.

Driver - Ping G5 10.5

3W & 5W - Taylormade aeroburner 

Irons - Cobra Amp cell 4-GW 

Wedge - Titleist Volky 60deg

Putter - Odyssey V-7 tank superstoke long grip

So I went last night and tried out the G400 (standard 10.5deg with stock stiff shaft) and was hitting it great! average drive was right around the 300 yrd mark with. I did try the Hazard Yellow low spin shaft and wasn't a fan which surprised me.

Typical shot shape was a nice little draw that started right of the center line and came back to center. Also hit the Callaway Epic (did not like it much but was consistently longer like 315-325yrds..but more off center and bigger miss hits..) Club head speed was averaged around 108, with a spike of 113! up from my current of 105-107mph..

I'm going back tomorrow to do a proper club comparison as I got there late and go stuck on a launch monitor that only picked up about 1/3rd of my shots.. They eventually moved me over to one that work.. but was pretty tired by that point.

So once I get that data on the comparison I will post it here for you guys to see.

What didn't you like about the HZRDUS Yellow? Did it feel harsh or was it too low spin? I'm just curious because I'm seriously considering trying that shaft out and like to hear other's thoughts. I know that when I tested the G400 LST I was only hitting the stock Alta shaft okay, but then they put in a older Fujikura VC 7.2 TS low spin shaft they had in the fitting room and I gained 5 mph ball speed with lower spin and started crushing it. Because of that I've been considering the Ping tour shafts or the HZRDUS Yellow. I'm also thinking about just picking up one of those Fujikura shafts on eBay since they can be had for cheap now. 

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I went to the only place in my town that sells golf equipment now (Dick's) and all they had was the standard G400 with standard stiff shaft.  No shaft options, no other loft options, no other head options.  Kind of hard to get fit for a new driver when they only have 1 option.  My town sucks!  When I get some decent time off I'm gonna track down one of those top 100 fitters and give it a whirl.  

Ping G400 SFT, 10 degree, HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Ping G Series 3 wood

Ping G Series 3 hybrid

Ping iSeries 4-9, PW, UW

Callaway MD3 54, PM 60

Ping Sigma G B60

Bridgestone B330-RXS

I was actually able to hit the G400 line last week.  The driver and 3 wood are amazing.  I love the shaft that Ping has put as the stock shaft.  The way it changes colors adds class to them both.  When you have looking down at the ball it allows you to focus in on just the head and the golf ball.   It takes away any glare/distraction the shaft might otherwise have.  The first couple hits with the driver launched off the face.  Even though I knew it was a small CC driver than my Ping G LS tec, it didn't look that much small down by the ball.  I didn't feel like I lost confidence in it at all.  I did notice, however, that my swing speed picked up compared to my driver.  Whether that's the aerodynamics or the size or both I don't know.  I wasn't on Trackman to get official numbers.  I was just going off feel.  

The 3 woods, the stretch and regular, had a bit of a louder sound than I was expecting.  I don't mind the sound at all.  It just wasn't the dead sound that you're used to when hitting a 3 wood.  Both of them were very easy to launch and were a lot of fun to hit.

The irons looked amazing.  You could tell that Ping wanted to keep the same look of the i200's in these irons.  It makes it look more like a family of irons rather than individuals having a similar styling.  I think that the finish and everything is 100% improvement over years past.  I've never put Ping up for the prettiest iron and I think these helped that a lot.  I'm not sure how much difference I noticed between the G irons and the G400's, which isn't a bad thing the way the G's have performed.  These irons would be great for anyone starting out or wanting that little extra help.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

I just left Club Champion in Plano, TX, after doing the free G400 30 minute fitting. I had great numbers, once again, with Epic SZ, so I was glad to have a similar baseline to my last fitting. He didn't have Hzrdus Black in a 6.5, so he put me in the Hzrdus T1100 6.5 75g with the LST set at its lowest loft. Spin came down quite a bit vs the last shaft I tried, the Atmos Black 7X, but I really didn't see any advantages over what I have. When we finished he told me that the only advantage I might see with the Ping is a little more forgiveness and tighter dispersion, but because the shaft I hit had a standard grip, and I use midsize plus two wraps, I didn't get the tighter dispersion in my numbers, so it was speculative that that's what I might see.

I'm glad I did one more fitting. Nothing there, though, to make me want to come out-of-pocket for a new driver.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I tried the G400 with the Tour 75 S shaft and couldn't feel the ball off the face. I had no idea if I was hitting it flush or off the toe, heel, etc. The LST was pretty good distance wise and the regular G400 was fairly consistent and forgiving. I'd have to experiment with other shaft combos to kick the gamer out of the bag. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I hit the driver yesterday. I currently play a G20 and I'll be honest I didn't gain any distance at all. I'm not the longest hitter by any stretch but to me after hitting the g400, the new m2 and my current driver all at 12 degree and then the m2 and g400 at 10.5 my G20 performed just as well for me as the newer drivers. So I'm not going to be putting any money into a driver at this time. I'm going to keep taking my lessons and working on the Indian instead of the arrow.

My coach and I did talk about working on figuring out my best combo of loft, shaft and tempo to maximize my launch conditions n the future and then retesting some things to see if a new driver would be of any benefit for me in the future but even at this time he suggested not buying a new driver

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

I just tested the G400 driver and it's tremendously forgiving. I don't recall any driver in my hands that did not have a sliced shot. Not the M1, M2 (2017) or even the 917s. The Tour 65 stiff shaft was a great fit although I do prefer the Kurokage XT60 stiff(their fitting carts was not updated with the Silver Dual Core yet). However the upcharge for the XT is mind boggling (I can buy it brand new at that price).

Factoring in exchange rates, taxes and local dealer markup in Singapore, this driver costs USD 536 based on the Alta shaft and USD572 for a Tour 65 shaft.

I really love the look, the great sound and especially the performance but it's too close to 6 big ones for my liking. Hard to justify spending that amount for a driver at this moment.

Irons: Miura PP9003 KBS Tour 90 R 5-P

Wedges: Miura New Wedge Series 51 Deg, Cobra Tour Trusty 56 Deg

Driver: Bridgestone JGR 10.5 with Tour AD J16-11W Reg stock JDM

3 Wood: Bridgestone JGR 3W with Tour AD J16-11W Stiff Reg stock JDM

Hybrid: Bridgestone JGR 4H with Tour AD J16-11W Reg stock JDM

Putter: Ping Sigma G Kinloch C 

Right handed, lives in Singapore

Playing in the mid 90s and trying my best to break 90 consistently.

I tried out the G400 driver (LST) & fairway yesterday night. I found the driver to be fairly forgiving but I struggled to find the sweet spot (I'm blaming the limited shaft options and the terrible weather on the night). The fairway was interesting - it was going as far as my Sub Zero with similar ball flight, and I liked the overall look of the club at address.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

Checked the G400 driver out today... that is one bad mo fo...

All of the reviews on here been making me check out brands I'd never thought of... that Matte Mizuno Blue JPX driver...

Go for the Srixon & Wilson Staff drivers next!!! 

Did you try the f5? Had pretty good results, but the stock shaft wasn't for me, I think...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 3 weeks later...

So, I picked up my Ping G400 LS driver on Saturday about a month after I ordered it. I had heard the LS heads were backordered for some reason and that some were being recalled. I hit it on the range Monday and Tuesday with no issues. Today, I took it back to the range, and after a few swings the glued in tungsten tab fell out and was nowhere to be found. I'm starting to understand why there was a recall and it took so long for the heads to ship. Ping has an issue here.

So, I picked up my Ping G400 LS driver on Saturday about a month after I ordered it. I had heard the LS heads were backordered for some reason and that some were being recalled. I hit it on the range Monday and Tuesday with no issues. Today, I took it back to the range, and after a few swings the glued in tungsten tab fell out and was nowhere to be found. I'm starting to understand why there was a recall and it took so long for the heads to ship. Ping has an issue here.

Not good to have issues on a brand-new driver that everyone's raving about. I'll have to keep it in mind if I decide to buy one.

• 1 month later...

So, just to update everyone on the problem I had above, my fitter sent the head back in for repair and it came back a couple of weeks later with a new tungsten tab installed. So far I've hit a ton of balls with it and I've had no issues. I ordered it with the Tour 65 shaft but didn't like the dispersion I was seeing. My fitter let me try it with a Speeder VC 7.2 TS he had in the fitting room and it was night and day. With the Speeder shaft I'm hiting long straight bombs that carry forever. He traded me the shaft for free to help with my troubles. If anyone lives in the Charleston, SC area I highly recommend you go to David Ayres Lowcountry Custom Golf to get fitted for any clubs or get any club work done. They are the most knowledgeable people in the area and really care about helping you out.

Went in for a club fitting and tried the G400, EPIC SZ, M1 and M2. G400 for me was clear winner. Went back to fine tune my G400 specs, left with an LST 8.5 (set to 7.5) with the HZRDUS Yellow stiff shaft at + 1/2". 

Driver: PING G400 LST 8.5 (set at 7.5*) HZRDUS Yellow

Fairway: PING ANSER 4 wood 16*

Hybrids: PING ANSER 20* and 23*
Irons/wedges: PING I20 5-pw-uw DGSL s300    PING Glide 54 and ES 58* CFS stiff
Putter: PING Sigma G Wolverine
Bag: PING Hoofer

I tried out the G400 at my local golf store. I was hitting it about 249m (275-280yd) with 235m (260yd) carry, ~2400rpm. I really want one of these drivers. They look and feel fantastic!!

I finally got the G400 9 Deg after much waiting.

Really wanted the Tour Stiff shaft but surprisingly the CB Alta Tour Stiff(Japan spec) was much tighter in dispersion than any other shafts.

Will test with an old Diamana X and maybe a Fubuki to see if anyone can kick the stock shaft out.

Overall, it's way more forgiving than my JGR or old BioCell.

Irons: Miura PP9003 KBS Tour 90 R 5-P

Wedges: Miura New Wedge Series 51 Deg, Cobra Tour Trusty 56 Deg

Driver: Bridgestone JGR 10.5 with Tour AD J16-11W Reg stock JDM

3 Wood: Bridgestone JGR 3W with Tour AD J16-11W Stiff Reg stock JDM

Hybrid: Bridgestone JGR 4H with Tour AD J16-11W Reg stock JDM

Putter: Ping Sigma G Kinloch C 

Right handed, lives in Singapore

Playing in the mid 90s and trying my best to break 90 consistently.

The new G400 drivers are the real deal.  There is a difference between the G and the G400.  First off, the stock shaft looks amazing.  You will also notice the head size isn't the full 460cc head, however the forgiveness is the same, or better, than a 460cc head.  I noticed that I seemed to pick a few extra miles per hour club head speed because of the size of the head.  

I don't have a lot of experience with the fairway woods and hybrids.  I did own the prior generation of the crossover.  The crossover was amazing when you were on, but if you weren't it was really bad.  There never seemed to be an in between with that club.  I ended up trading it in for a hybrid for some consistency. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

• 1 month later...

Mine was delivered today Won it in a Twitter contest from Ping. It's a 9* with the Tour 65 shaft in X flex and a mid size grip. Can't wait to get some swings with it IMG_20171114_153524.jpgIMG_20171114_153559.jpgIMG_20171114_153640.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Wow awesome! Congratulations!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Good for you

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Congrats! Let us know how it performs

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Nice! I'm envious.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else excited about the new G lineup of Drivers, fairways, hybrids and that "crossover"? I'm looking forward to seeing some specs. From what I've been reading the drivers shouldn't be as noisy... I am in the market for a new Ugly Stick. I like the matte finish on the Ping.

What's everyone's thoughts?

- Alan

Have you any problem with your body fitness, you can visit my personal blog here: https://waistlab.com/. When you visit my blog than you collect some new informative information about how to solve women different type of a problem.

Have you any problem with your body fitness, you can visit my personal blog here: https://waistlab.com/. When you visit my blog than you collect some new informative information about how to solve women different type of a problem.

WTF!  :blink:   No doubt you are in the wrong thread unless Shankster is going Bruce Jenner on us.  :unsure:

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Archived