TESTERS WANTED! ×

Course Strategy

revkev

The toughness of the US Open makes it the one tournament where we might learn from the pros. Whoever wins will have been wise enough to minimize the damage after hitting a bad shot. Bogeys are okay, doubles are death.

For 99 percent of us here that holds true - you can bogey forty percent of the holes that you play and break 80 consistently. It's having the discipline to avoid double or worse that helps keep the scores low.

It's something that all of us need to think about the next time we are in thick rough or behind a tree - How do I consistently make the lowest possible score from this point forward.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best players know their abilities and know when to fight for a "good bogey". Most people don't understand that a bogey can be a really good score, especially on difficult driving holes.

Also, remember that "par" is just a number and the lowest score is all that matters. Scores in relation to par just make it easier for adding and people following on the TV.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

I have been playing more strategically this year. A lot of irons off the tees, I can pick a spot with those and it usually ends up within a yard or two laterally, distance depends. But since doing that I find it a lot easier to navigate the courses. Hitting 3 iron or 2 hybrid off the tee is point and shoot. Driver this year is hit or miss.

Before I go out each round I look at FunGolf app to map out what I want to do each round. IF I followed it I could get a fairly low score. But for some reason I forget to leave the driver in the bag and punish myself.

Going out tomorrow to put it to the test. I should only "need" driver on 3 holes. 3 wood I'll use twice and either 3-5 iron for the rest. In theory I should be able to make a lot of GIR's... now just remembering to not go for broke will be the test.

When your 40 yards deep in the woods/fescue... good luck making a triple.

Great point Rev!

Some of my best rounds aren't birdie fests.  There just rounds where you keep the big numbers out of play.  It may be boring golf, but a bunch of pars and some nice scrambling bogey's don't add up very fast at the end of the day.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

IMHO course strategy (the mental aspect) is the most overlooked part of playing a round.  I play a lot of people I don't know and they will step up to a 495 yard par 5 and immediately reach for driver; won't even look at the card to see what hazards are in play, where they're at, layup points... just grab the big stick and go for it.

I wonder how many people use EVERY club in their bag during an 18 hole round.  I mean every single one.

Maybe take that as a challenge next time you play?  Try to use every club and it will make you stop and think about how you play a hole.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

IMHO course strategy (the mental aspect) is the most overlooked part of playing a round. I play a lot of people I don't know and they will step up to a 495 yard par 5 and immediately reach for driver; won't even look at the card to see what hazards are in play, where they're at, layup points... just grab the big stick and go for it.

I wonder how many people use EVERY club in their bag during an 18 hole round. I mean every single one.

Maybe take that as a challenge next time you play? Try to use every club and it will make you stop and think about how you play a hole.

I couldn't tell you the last time I actually hit my 5 iron. Also was thinking about it last night, and I only hit driver about 9 times per round at my course. Usually dog leg or getting close to a hazard if it goes the full distance. Where as 3w, 3h, 4i will keep me safe, and providing I don't pull it I have no more than mid iron for my second into the green

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Lots of 3 iron, 3 hybrid, and 3 wood off tees on par 4s lately. Why keep hitting driver to a distance where I'm hitting 1/2 shots? I hit 64% of my fairways last time out by doing this... Looks like I'll keep with the plan for awhile!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I couldn't tell you the last time I actually hit my 5 iron. Also was thinking about it last night, and I only hit driver about 9 times per round at my course. Usually dog leg or getting close to a hazard if it goes the full distance. Where as 3w, 3h, 4i will keep me safe, and providing I don't pull it I have no more than mid iron for my second into the green

Interesting... any particular reason why?  looks like you hit the 4i.  Is it a distance issue?  Would you consider replacing the 5 with maybe another wedge or something?

A guy I played with yesterday had 2 putters.  A mallet and blade.  Used the mallet when it was close (kept the face more square, he said)...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Home course

#1 4 iron - 57°

#2 Driver - 4 iron

#3 53°

#4 4 iron - PW/53°

#5 6/7 iron

#6 Driver - 7/8 iron

#7 2hybrid/3 iron - 53°

#8 5 iron - PW

#9 3 iron - 7 iron - 57°

#10 4 iron - PW

#11 4 iron - 53°

#12 53°/PW

#13 Driver - 7 iron

#14 8 iron

#15 3 wood - Putter (hopefully)

#16 4 iron - PW

#17 Driver - 4 iron - 57°

#18 4/5/6 iron - 53°/57°

Now.. I just need to stick to that game plan.

The toughness of the US Open makes it the one tournament where we might learn from the pros. Whoever wins will have been wise enough to minimize the damage after hitting a bad shot. Bogeys are okay, doubles are death.

It's something that all of us need to think about the next time we are in thick rough or behind a tree - How do I consistently make the lowest possible score from this point forward.

... Betsy King hit it in the rough to the right with no good shot to the green at a US Open. But her competitor was in the fairway and already hit an iron to 10 feet above the hole so King had no choice but to go for a difficult shot. She punched into the fairway giving away the tournament. She then hit an iron a few feet below the hole. Her competitor had a very fast downhill putt that slid by the hole by quite a bit. King made her putt for par, her competitor missed the comeback and King won. Really made me think if one of the best players in the world didn't try that shot from thick rough, why would I attempt it? It was a turning point in my game.

... Later it was brought home again by Annika Sorenstam when she said unless she knew she could pull off a shot 80% of the time, she would not attempt it. And finally DL Jr said "never follow a bad shot with a great shot. Follow a bad shot with a good shot". Limiting a bad shots effect by punching out of the trees instead of trying to fit a shot thru a small window is paramount to managing your game. I see high index players attempting shots a single digit player would never even think of trying. As a good friend of mine that has won multiple club championships told me the secret to his success was just getting the ball back in play and always limiting the damage a bad shot causes. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Home course

#1 4 iron - 57°

#2 Driver - 4 iron

#3 53°

#4 4 iron - PW/53°

#5 6/7 iron

#6 Driver - 7/8 iron

#7 2hybrid/3 iron - 53°

#8 5 iron - PW

#9 3 iron - 7 iron - 57°

#10 4 iron - PW

#11 4 iron - 53°

#12 53°/PW

#13 Driver - 7 iron

#14 8 iron

#15 3 wood - Putter (hopefully)

#16 4 iron - PW

#17 Driver - 4 iron - 57°

#18 4/5/6 iron - 53°/57°

Now.. I just need to stick to that game plan.

You don't carry a 9 iron ??? ;)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

This is my biggest problem and I'm slowly learning to use it. There is one hole on the local course I constantly play, my drive is a very strong fade, they have a tree to the left of the tree box that everytime I pull the driver out, I hit it, yesterday I took the hybrid on the tee box, and wouldnt you know it.. PAR. I think I finally learned to take shots I can hit vs trying something special and ending up double or worse

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

... Betsy King hit it in the rough to the right with no good shot to the green at a US Open. But her competitor was in the fairway and already hit an iron to 10 feet above the hole so King had no choice but to go for a difficult shot. She punched into the fairway giving away he tournament. She then hit an iron a few feet below the hole. Her competitor had a very fast downhill putt that slid by the hole by quite a bit. King made her putt for par, her competitor missed the comeback and King won. Really made me think if one of the best layers in the world did;t try that shot from thick rough, why would I attempt it? It was a turning point in my game.

... Later it was brought home again by Annika Sorenstam when she said unless she knew she could pull off a shot 80% of the time, she would not attempt it. And finally DL Jr said "never follow a bad shot with a great shot. Follow a bad shot with a good shot". Limiting a bad shots effect by punching out of the trees instead of trying to fit a shot thru a small window is paramount to managing your game. I see high index players attempting shots a single digit player would never even think of trying. As a good friend of mine that has won multiple club championships told me the secret to his success was getting the ball back in play and always limiting the damage a bad shot causes. 

Great points!  One that I recently heard was along the lines of if you don't think you can get it "there" easily with the club you have in your hand then you've got the wrong club.  For example trying to smash a 3 wood onto the green on a par 5.  So many people see the distance (200+) and reach for their 3 wood thinking that it's the club that they hit that distance and should just go ahead and bash it without even considering the odds of success.  Of course there are times when it is okay but if it's a small green or has a lot of hazards, maybe divide the distance into to 2 shots instead of 1 and think of 2 good/easy swings instead of 1 **great** one.

as they always say.... don't beat yourself.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

I do. It's the shiniest club in my bag. I literally never use it. There is one course I play that the first hole is a 9 iron, but other than that it only gets used if I'm in a weird spot.

- Alan

Ever consider replacing it with something else you might use?

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Interesting... any particular reason why? looks like you hit the 4i. Is it a distance issue? Would you consider replacing the 5 with maybe another wedge or something?

A guy I played with yesterday had 2 putters. A mallet and blade. Used the mallet when it was close (kept the face more square, he said)...

Definitely use 3w and 4i the most. 3w has a higher flight and a steady draw. 4i is more penetrating and I can hit dead straight or a baby draw. I have considered adding a wedge. Would likely go from 56 60 to 54 58 62. But I would need money to buy those 😂

Great post and thought Rev.

Somebody said it here a few weeks back, I believe it was either Burk, downlow, underpar or one of the single digits guys that said "learn to HATE double bogeys and you will score well"  I have taken that advice since then and have tried to live by it.  Really makes a difference when I get in trouble and how I approach the next shot. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

IMHO course strategy (the mental aspect) is the most overlooked part of playing a round.  I play a lot of people I don't know and they will step up to a 495 yard par 5 and immediately reach for driver; won't even look at the card to see what hazards are in play, where they're at, layup points... just grab the big stick and go for it.

I wonder how many people use EVERY club in their bag during an 18 hole round.  I mean every single one.

Maybe take that as a challenge next time you play?  Try to use every club and it will make you stop and think about how you play a hole.

In a manner of speaking, you have fundamentally defined my goals regarding my game.   Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on perception, I can use my driver on Par 4 and 5s, because I can't reach the trouble.   I look forward to the day, when I can say, I shouldn't use the driver.   If I find the need to use a mid-irons, it means that I messed up my second shot and it is more than a pitch and a putt.  I continue to employ my BAS (bunker avoidance shot) because if I land in a sand bunker, I am on an adventure.   But I can say, with the lessons and the sand wedge my instructor ordered for me, I am getting better.  For me, the day I use all my clubs for the proper reasons, it will be a glorious day.

I do. It's the shiniest club in my bag. I literally never use it. There is one course I play that the first hole is a 9 iron, but other than that it only gets used if I'm in a weird spot.

You "literally" never use your 9-iron; except a certain course where the 1st hole is always a 9-iron? One would think courses changing hole locations or a shift in wind direction might precipitate a departure from your slated 18 hole shot selections. But I suppose when you're never more than 2 yards off line and can smash 2-iron from virtually any lie golf is a pretty easy game.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I have been playing more strategically this year. A lot of irons off the tees, I can pick a spot with those and it usually ends up within a yard or two laterally, distance depends. But since doing that I find it a lot easier to navigate the courses. Hitting 3 iron or 2 hybrid off the tee is point and shoot. Driver this year is hit or miss.

Before I go out each round I look at FunGolf app to map out what I want to do each round. IF I followed it I could get a fairly low score. But for some reason I forget to leave the driver in the bag and punish myself.

Going out tomorrow to put it to the test. I should only "need" driver on 3 holes. 3 wood I'll use twice and either 3-5 iron for the rest. In theory I should be able to make a lot of GIR's... now just remembering to not go for broke will be the test.

This is a great way to look at things. For me, my landing area of the fairway is just a big green that I am targeting.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

For 99 percent of us here that holds true - you can bogey forty percent of the holes that you play and break 80 consistently. It's having the discipline to avoid double or worse that helps keep the scores low.

Yep. Good post rev. As I posted in another thread, Tommy Armour coached his high handicap student who's never even close to break 90, to shoot 79 in a high steak bets which Tommy backed.

I only carry 11-12 clubs each bag set up, I have a few. My main bag with 5 wedges well 6 if you count the putter as a Texas wedge I max out at 12 clubs.

I think avg golfers would benefit from carry less clubs not more, and definitely would have better result hitting fewer clubs in their bags during the round than more.

My position is that each club should earn their way into your golf bag. I can't hit 1i, 2i, 3i, 4i with consistency more than 50% of green hits when I use them for approach. Even 5i is still less than 60%, so it got demoted to the "clubs that I'm hoping to put in the bag" bag.

We are not machine, we can't hit each club in the bag with regular interval realistically. I'm working on adding more, but for now I have at least double overlap on longer clubs and triple overlap on shorter irons to cover all the distance inside my driver distance range.

Fortunately, I play more than a few rounds a week at my club and I need the way to keep it fresh and interesting so I'd play with different sets throughout the week.

Every clubs in my main bag are my scoring clubs, I have total confident that they'd perform 80% of what I want.

This is my biggest problem and I'm slowly learning to use it. There is one hole on the local course I constantly play, my drive is a very strong fade, they have a tree to the left of the tree box that everytime I pull the driver out, I hit it, yesterday I took the hybrid on the tee box, and wouldnt you know it.. PAR. I think I finally learned to take shots I can hit vs trying something special and ending up double or worse

I learned the easy way, it took about 18 months to earned the driver into my bag. My pro made me a deal hit 10 fairway 10 consecutive rounds before I add another driving clubs in the bag starting with 5wd, then 4wd, 3wd, spoon, then driver. I'm so use to seeing all my tee shots in the fairways I hardly miss it. I don't practice it either. I want to stay hungry.

100+ shooter can drop almost 10 shots in the next 2 rounds by adopting the junior clubs set up. I'd think 20+ handicappers can easily drop 5 strokes within 2 rounds.

Putter

Sw

Pw

8i

6i

Hybrid 5 or 4 pick one

5wd

They ask the wrong question(s) before a shot, it's not how but where do they want the ball to end up. The answer is simple, in the fairway and back of the green. All shots and all holes, do this they'll be breaking 80 in no time.

Ask any low handicappers here, if they know what they know now about their game, and wind the clock back in their abilities to the 90's they all can drop 5 to 10 shots on the next round easily.

Interesting. I just came back from playing 9 and thought the same things. For some reason I think I must pull out a driver for every hole (except for the par 3s). The driver coincidently is my least accurate and most inconsistent club in the bag.

I'm playing in a tournament on Monday so I'm going to come up with a hole by hole strategy (written down). Hopefully this relieves the hole #1 jitters especially since I typically launch my drive into water every time.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Interesting. I just came back from playing 9 and thought the same things. For some reason I think I must pull out a driver for every hole (except for the par 3s). The driver coincidently is my least accurate and most inconsistent club in the bag.

I'm playing in a tournament on Monday so I'm going to come up with a hole by hole strategy (written down). Hopefully this relieves the hole #1 jitters especially since I typically launch my drive into water every time.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Let me know how it goes!

- Alan

... Betsy King hit it in the rough to the right with no good shot to the green at a US Open. But her competitor was in the fairway and already hit an iron to 10 feet above the hole so King had no choice but to go for a difficult shot. She punched into the fairway giving away the tournament. She then hit an iron a few feet below the hole. Her competitor had a very fast downhill putt that slid by the hole by quite a bit. King made her putt for par, her competitor missed the comeback and King won. Really made me think if one of the best layers in the world didn't try that shot from thick rough, why would I attempt it? It was a turning point in my game.

... Later it was brought home again by Annika Sorenstam when she said unless she knew she could pull off a shot 80% of the time, she would not attempt it. And finally DL Jr said "never follow a bad shot with a great shot. Follow a bad shot with a good shot". Limiting a bad shots effect by punching out of the trees instead of trying to fit a shot thru a small window is paramount to managing your game. I see high index players attempting shots a single digit player would never even think of trying. As a good friend of mine that has won multiple club championships told me the secret to his success was just getting the ball back in play and always limiting the damage a bad shot causes.

IMO the quickest way to make double is trying to follow a poor shot with a great shot. Just keep hitting good shots - try to give yourself a chance to hole a putt or have a makable chip -make a fun game of it - in the woods, pitch out to 110, wedge to 10 ft, par - do that a couple of times in a round and it rips your opponents heart out.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

IMO the quickest way to make double is trying to follow a poor shot with a great shot. Just keep hitting good shots - try to give yourself a chance to hole a putt or have a makable chip -make a fun game of it - in the woods, pitch out to 110, wedge to 10 ft, par - do that a couple of times in a round and it rips your opponents heart out.

I used to have it laminated and hang on my bag. It said "take your medicine". It's a pre-round contract I had with myself. Pretty much what you said here.

Never allow myself to hit 2 bad shots in the row. The only way to ensure that is not to follow a bad shot with any attempt to make up for the first one. If it's not in my 80% shot inventory I can't hit it. It was hard at first I broke this all the time but I got better at following thru with it. Pays off in a big way.

I used to have it laminated and hang on my bag. It said "take your medicine". It's a pre-round contract I had with myself. Pretty much what you said here.

Never allow myself to hit 2 bad shots in the row. The only way to ensure that is not to follow a bad shot with any attempt to make up for the first one. If it's not in my 80% shot inventory I can't hit it. It was hard at first I broke this all the time but I got better at following thru with it. Pays off in a big way.

I need that laminate! After a bad couple of shots that what my good friend would always say, and Id never listen and try to make some miracle shot that wouldnt ever work

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Archived