Is it me or does FOX's coverage of the US Open still have room for tons of improvement?

Our Sponsors

I love Joe Buck for the MLB & NFL, but I'm really missing Johnny Miller & the gang. They fire Greg Norman (who has played & was competitive in nearly all the majors he played in during his prime) which gave them a little credibility.

To me FOX has really struggled to adapt to calling these events. Maybe they should pick up some additional tournaments so the team can work better.

Between the cameras constantly losing site of the ball & the poor cohesiveness between the color commentators, this is slightly frustrating to loyal golf fans who appreciated so much what NBC had done with the US Open prior.

THANK GOD FOR HOLLY SONDERS!

Sent from my SM-J700T using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 5
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did Holly Sonders say something? I must've been distracted...

Do what I did. Watch it on mute.     Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I love Joe Buck for the MLB & NFL, but I'm really missing Johnny Miller & the gang. They fire Greg Norman (who has played & was competitive in nearly all the majors he played in during hi

Shankster and I were actually just talking about this in the US Open thread. The commentary does absolutely nothing for the viewers and the only thing I really have to look forward to is all the shot tracers that they include.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

Shankster and I were actually just talking about this in the US Open thread. The commentary does absolutely nothing for the viewers and the only thing I really have to look forward to is all the shot tracers that they include.

Agree! The technology is good, but they need to surround Holly with good people!

• Like 4

They are showing lots of golf and few commercials so they could play music in the background for all I care, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

WITB:

Driver:   2017 M2 
3/5 Woods:  2014 Big Bertha 
4/5 Hybrids:  Mashie+ 
Irons:  Apex CF16 6-PW w/Recoil 110
Wedges:  RTX3 MB 48/54/58
Putter:  White Hot Pro #3 w/SS 2.0
Ball: â€‹Z-Star Yellow

I can't stand Joe Buck any time but its especially bad right now. If I could play music on my TV I would but I will settle for muting the TV. They had a shot of Jordan's and when the ball was in the air they switch to another group who wasn't doing anything and by the time they switched back the ball was on the green and no clue if it landed short and rolled on or if it landed on the green.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Do what I did. Watch it on mute.

• Like 6

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Sub70 16* 4 wood

Hybrid: 19* Tour Edge Exotics EX5

Irons:  Sub 70 

639 CB 4 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Taylormade Spider
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Handicap index:  +2.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Agree! The technology is good, but they need to surround Holly with good people!

It really is some second class coverage.

And it all comes down to you get what you pay for.

Some of these guys were players but seem to run on when they shouldnt or simply dont have the right idea of what to do on a mic. Dead air is not a bad thing and Ken Ventura was the master of that. And then again some of them dont even have a voice that works on air. I had to do some radio stuff one season for the course and it is not an easy thing, but as a profession it seems you would be better than they are.

I try to give them all a pass for awhile as they get their feet under them outside the ropes, but it can be quite a chore to give them a listen and I had to switch away form the group Mark Brookes was covering because all over guys were "painting pictures" for themselves and everyone else.

Painful stuff.

• Like 1

I can't stand Joe Buck any time but its especially bad right now. If I could play music on my TV I would but I will settle for muting the TV. They had a shot of Jordan's and when the ball was in the air they switch to another group who wasn't doing anything and by the time they switched back the ball was on the green and no clue if it landed short and rolled on or if it landed on the green.

I know, it's crazy how they are predicting where the shots are going to end up on the green & being off by 100+ yards. "This is going to work back within tap in range" & the ball ends up being lucky to be in 2 putt range.

• Like 2

It is definitely not ideal but I really like the shot tracer on every shot. The bad thing about the coverage is that it seems like it takes forever to get back to players to see their shot and seems like they are all tape delayed. Agree with the comment that the commentators don't know when to let the golf do the talking.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I can't stand Joe Buck any time but its especially bad right now.

Amen

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

I love Joe Buck for the MLB & NFL, but I'm really missing Johnny Miller & the gang. They fire Greg Norman (who has played & was competitive in nearly all the majors he played in during his prime) which gave them a little credibility.

To me FOX has really struggled to adapt to calling these events. Maybe they should pick up some additional tournaments so the team can work better.

Between the cameras constantly losing site of the ball & the poor cohesiveness between the color commentators, this is slightly frustrating to loyal golf fans who appreciated so much what NBC had done with the US Open prior.

You're missing out on all the action! Everyone is talking about FOX on the other US Open thread.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Sorry guys I feel completely different on this one. I think Fox is doing a great job with coverage right now. I will take shot tracer on most shots over commentary any day of the week. Sometimes Miller gets in his own way but the Fox guys talk just enough for you to notice them there but not really care. What I'm trying to say is that Fox tech > any commentary from any other station.

• Like 3

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

Good thing we watch it on Sky Sports with Butch Harmon and co.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Do what I did. Watch it on mute.

It's funny -

I actually watched on the stream at work and then for a while at home on mute with music on. The Fox graphics are vastly superior to other networks IMO so I was thinking how much better their coverage was this year. :)

I quite literally didn't here a single word of commentary the entire time that I watched.

• Like 1

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Very boring announcers even the professional golfers that announce. Joe Buck is the worst. Faldo, Nance and Miller with the on course announcers are the best. Fox needs to step it up if they want to do golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

... Yes the announcers are really bad but I can live with them. OK maybe not Buck. But what I hate most about Fox's coverage is the interviews, recap's and features while the best player's in the world are hitting shots on the course. They can go 10 minutes or more without a golf shot in the middle of the US Open! They did that at Chambers too and haven't learn anything. They honestly think actually playing golf is secondary to entertainment. 

• Like 3

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Coverage is poor at best. I like Darren Clark but I have a hard time understanding him. Joe Buck not one of my favorites for anything.

Agree about Holly!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list