TESTERS WANTED! ×

Game Improvement Irons...

mudfish

Hey, After about 2 years of using a starter set from Dick's that included a bag, irons, driver, 3/5 woods, 3/4 hybrid, and putter, I've decided that its time to upgrade my irons...

When I started I usually shot over 120, but after 2 years I'm hovering right around 100. I'm hitting the ball more consistently (not necessarily better), but I think it's time to let the clubs start doing some of the work...

SO... I'm looking for a set that will get me through a few years, and hopefully into the 90's on a regular basis. When the snow melts I'm usually on the course twice a week (league and Sunday mornings).

So far Ive looked at a few clubs, and I'm trying to keep the price around $600 and less, but that's workable. Also I already have a couple hundred in gift cards from Dick's so that's where I'll be buying from...

Here are the clubs I have narrowed it down to:

Adams A7

Mizuno MX-100

Taylormade Burner

Callaway Diablo Edge

What should I stay away from? What else should I look at?

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Hey, After about 2 years of using a starter set from Dick's that included a bag, irons, driver, 3/5 woods, 3/4 hybrid, and putter, I've decided that its time to upgrade my irons...

When I started I usually shot over 120, but after 2 years I'm hovering right around 100. I'm hitting the ball more consistently (not necessarily better), but I think it's time to let the clubs start doing some of the work...

SO... I'm looking for a set that will get me through a few years, and hopefully into the 90's on a regular basis. When the snow melts I'm usually on the course twice a week (league and Sunday mornings).

So far Ive looked at a few clubs, and I'm trying to keep the price around $600 and less, but that's workable. Also I already have a couple hundred in gift cards from Dick's so that's where I'll be buying from...

Here are the clubs I have narrowed it down to:

Adams A7

Mizuno MX-100

Taylormade Burner

Callaway Diablo Edge

What should I stay away from? What else should I look at?

Well, I LOVE my 09 Burner's. But I have the KBS Tours in them, not the stock 85 gram steel shaft. Can't comment on the stock shaft, as I ordered them that way without ever hitting that setup. I just had a feeling that the combo would be sweet, and it is! Otherwise, I'd get the Callaway's. They are SO easy to hit and you'll love them. I have several friends that own the Callaway Big Bertha's and swear by them.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

More information is needed... Where are your misses?? what do your good shots look like??

Are you looking for a set to bridge down to single digits, or are you happy shooting in the 90's?? What is more important, Distance or accuracy??

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Mizuno MX1000

Mizuno MX100

Mizuno MX950 or MX200

PING G15 (or G10, they should be cheaper)

Srixon I701, though this is a little bit less forgiving.

If you want my opinion, a real GI club is a club that would let you know when you hit bad and force you to improve, not a club that would do the job for you. And if you're swinging badly, it won't matter what club you use, you will just get frustrated that you're not hitting the GI you bought and thought they'd help a lot.

Go for something in the middle, not extremely GI and not extremely players iron. Mizuno MX200, MX300 or even MP52 would be good. Bridgestone J36 Pocket cavity, Srixon I701 or Titleist AP1, just to name a few. That's what I would do if I were buying something new now, and that's what I'll do when changing my current setup.

sdfut.jpg

Addicted to golf since February 2008

Best Score: 89

Birdies: 12

I like PoorGolfer's suggestion of the MP52 as something to consider if you're looking to bridge the gap between "game improvement" and "players." With that in mind, you may even consider digging around for a set of Callaway X Tours. If you're unsure about your ability to make such a transition, look for an individual iron to try out first. You can do so at http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com, for example. Good luck! B)

More information is needed... Where are your misses?? what do your good shots look like??

Are you looking for a set to bridge down to single digits, or are you happy shooting in the 90's?? What is more important, Distance or accuracy??

OK, this is what I need, someone to steer me in the right direction.

When I miss, I usually miss because I top the ball, and I usually miss to the right.

My good shots.. straight and feel good off the club... typically 3/4 of my shots are good, it's just that my bad shots are BAD, and I'm in the next fairway. My 7 iron is around 150 yards, and when I hit the club square, my distances are usually right what I figure. At this point I don't really care about distance, I'm young, and in shape, and when I hit the ball like I should the ball travels far enough for me... I want to work on accuracy more than anything...

I'd like to get my score as low as possible, but for the next couple years, I am only looking to get into the 90's and maybe into the 80's. I have a 4 year old and 2 times a week is about as much as I can get out, and I'm fine with that. I have no desire to be competitive, and I just want to have fun.

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Mizuno MX1000

Mizuno MX100

Mizuno MX950 or MX200

PING G15 (or G10, they should be cheaper)

Srixon I701, though this is a little bit less forgiving.

If you want my opinion, a real GI club is a club that would let you know when you hit bad and force you to improve, not a club that would do the job for you. And if you're swinging badly, it won't matter what club you use, you will just get frustrated that you're not hitting the GI you bought and thought they'd help a lot.

Go for something in the middle, not extremely GI and not extremely players iron. Mizuno MX200, MX300 or even MP52 would be good. Bridgestone J36 Pocket cavity, Srixon I701 or Titleist AP1, just to name a few. That's what I would do if I were buying something new now, and that's what I'll do when changing my current setup.

That was my other way of thinking... My game seems to be getting better, and I am constantly working on it so I was thinking about getting a set that are slightly better than I am and learning to hit them, rather than getting a GI set that will just hide my mistakes and not make me any better.

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

OK, this is what I need, someone to steer me in the right direction.

When I miss, I usually miss because I top the ball, and I usually miss to the right.

The Most important thing that you can do is be fit by a Qualified Clubfitter, and not a sales associate from a Big Box store. Hitting shots thin and right typical indicates ill fitting equipment. A misfit Armani Suit costs as much as one that fits well, but looks like crap, same thing for golf clubs.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

The Most important thing that you can do is be fit by a Qualified Clubfitter, and not a sales associate from a Big Box store. Hitting shots thin and right typical indicates ill fitting equipment. A misfit Armani Suit costs as much as one that fits well, but looks like crap, same thing for golf clubs.

thanks...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Definitely agree about the idea of getting fit properly. The cost of that is 100% worth it, and usually they will comp it if you buy your clubs through them.

In regards to an equipment recommendation, I would suggest, based on your information and my personal experience, the Mizuno MX-100's, 200's or 300's (whatever fits your budget). I think the feel is outstanding and they are very forgiving, but still very playable for a better player. I would advise against getting caught up in the idea that you play to Handicap X and therefore must have clubs that announce that to everyone. I started out playing MX-23's, and last spring, with my rounds consistently in the 80's, decided I needed the MP-57's. While the 57's are awesome and I love playing them (I use them 7-PW, I kept the 23's in 4-6), I often find myself wondering if I wouldn't be better off with the 23's throughout. At the end of the day, it's about the score on the card, not how the clubs look in your bag. I have a set of pure blades that would look bad*$$ in a staff bag (in fact they do, I'm looking at them right now), but I know my scores would be worse if I played with them.

Just my two cents. Good luck finding something that fits you well and that you enjoy playing.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I like to think every club made is perfect for someone out there.. That being said, what the perfect club for you is might take a little time to find. There is lots of very good information here on the chat boards, but some of it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Technology, as it pertains to iron sets, has not advanced as quickly as it has with drivers. That means that there are quite a few excellent iron sets out there from a few years ago that are every bit as playable as today's irons, and can be had for a song. Steve Stricker is still playing and winning on the PGA Tour with a set of Titleist 755's, an iron set that is 3 generations old. My advice to you is to try things. ALOT of things. Don't be persuaded by what your buddies just got, or what won gold on the "Hot List". Go with what works, get fit, and you will have nothing but a great experience.

• SPY VIP

I like my 2009 Burners a bunch and it sounds like we are similar swing wise. Absolutely get fit. Mine are the stock shafts cut 1/2" short. Only the clubfitter could have figured that out.

I think that they have great feedback on miss hits vs. pure contact. I received the free 6 iron from their promotion last year and compared to the RAC OS2s I was gaming, the Burners were better.

Hit a lot of different sets. I picked up a set of X22s for $250 at golf galaxy. Love the look, but they felt muted to me. Same with the G5/G10 from PING. Wanted, for whatever reason, to play PING irons. Just didn't feel right.

My Burners should serve me well for quite a few years as I improve my game.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Get a good teacher to bring your swing back to the basics. It costs less than all the technology out there on game improvement irons.

That being said. I did get back in the game, got a good coach, and did purchase a set of Cleveland Xli game improvement hybrid irons. They do seem to be easier to get the ball up, but they can't do it by themselves.

The Mizzy mx-25 are dirty cheap and I have only heard good thing about the both the MX300 and Burner.

But as mentioned before get fitted, the Mizzy shaft optimizer is working and can probably help you.

Missing right and topping your irons can be an effect of to flat lie or too short clubs, get fitted it will help.

good luck

Mizuno

MP-630 FT Oban devotion 6 X || MP Craft 425 9.5° X-CON 6 X

F60 15° Grafalloy PL RED X || MP Ti 18 ° USt axiv core Black

MP FLI-HI 21° Steelfiber 110i X

MP62 Black Nickel 4-PW KBS Tour 6.5 +3/4'' 2° up

MP T10 RAW Black Satin 52° 56° 60° KBS Tour 6.5 +3/4'' 2° up

C-05 35''

I still have three sets of taylormade irons in the closet. (don't ask -- as i posted in another thread, i really need to shed some 'excess' equipment.) i have a set each of the LT2, OS2 and the '09 Burners. They each have their own characteristics. The OS2 are long and easy to hit very straight. The LT2 allows you to control your shots a little more. I don't normally try to hitting anything other than straight iron shots, but when I know I'm playing a course with lots of trees, I may bring the LT2s as they're a little easier to hit little fades and draws and also the crucial punch shot when I'm in the foliage. The '09 Burners are very easy to hit and even longer than the OS2. My set have the 85g superlight shafts and are actually pretty good. If there was one problem with them it's that I find they play too long and I forget that I'll hit farther with each corresponding club due to the longer shaft and stronger loft. Nevertheless, I think as far as TM irons go, you can't go wrong. I find that after a couple of rounds, I'll adapt to the irons and end up playing more or less the same score-wise.

______

Dave

Image Gallery

WOW... Thanks for all the advice... at least now I have a better idea of what clubs to look at and try out when I go to buy... I guess this thread made me see more than anything that I need to try everything, and then go back and try everything again, and then make my decision... As soon as the snow starts melting, I'll have to get going...

Thanks, and keep it coming...

My Bag:
Driver - 

Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

Hitting shots thin and right typical indicates ill fitting equipment. A misfit Armani Suit costs as much as one that fits well, but looks like crap, same thing for golf clubs.

I agree to a point. I've been fit for my clubs by a professional clubmaker, and I still hit shots thin and to the right. Of course, I still hit shots fat and to the left too. My point (as some others have said), clubs will only get you so far. Invest in lessons, and if you're like me (where every swing fault fix exposes two more), invest in a lot of them.

As far as an actual answer to your question is concerned... +1 for the Mizunos (you won't find a more forgiving forged iron). I'd also suggest trying out the Cobra S2 irons as well. For the most part I'd recommend avoiding the big box stores (although Golf Galaxy does a decent job). Smaller independent pro shops are where your more likely to find dedicated professionals who can properly fit you.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I agree to a point. I've been fit for my clubs by a professional clubmaker, and I still hit shots thin and to the right. Of course, I still hit shots fat and to the left too. My point (as some others have said), clubs will only get you so far. Invest in lessons, and if you're like me (where every swing fault fix exposes two more), invest in a lot of them.

As far as an actual answer to your question is concerned... +1 for the Mizunos (you won't find a more forgiving forged iron). I'd also suggest trying out the Cobra S2 irons as well. For the most part I'd recommend avoiding the big box stores (although Golf Galaxy does a decent job). Smaller independent pro shops are where your more likely to find dedicated professionals who can properly fit you.

To take it a step further, you could fit Barney Gumble with the most expensive Armani suit there is, but he would still be Barney Gumble. Fitting only does so much. The rest is up to you.

Archived