TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wedge on a green

revkev

I watched Ricky Fowler hit one of his wedges on a putting green today.

I've done that three or four times in my life. 17 at my club in Indiana had an hour glass shaped green. There was no way to get anywhere near a back left pin from the front left portion of the green. So I hit the shot a few times. It's very scary! I remember hitting it close and making par one of the times. I don't ever recall taking a divot however I do remember playing with someone who did. It took several weeks for the scar to heal.

Have you ever hit wedge on a putting green?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Nope, but watching Ricky made it look easy. I remember Tiger doing it years ago.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Once or twice a year ill run into a spot where I'd be better with a chip. I just used my 57° last week actually. A two tier green I was on the bottom, had a nice back stop.

I will chip anything longer than 40' I think. I'd have a better chance of holing a chip than putting.

No divots. Just use that bounce.

Done it a couple of times.   As was said, It is all about the bounce on the wedge to avoid taking a divot.  Of course that was before I was struggling with my chipping.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I can't ever remembering having to use a wedge on the green.

I have seen Phil M do it twice.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Several times and with more success than I thought. Last time I did it I took a fairly healthy divot bit a small price to pay to save par.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I remember seeing Rocco mediate- however that is spelled, use it to pitch and learn how to use the bounce properly, I wasn't brave enough to do it, but I've done it on the fringe.

*side note: it is really helpful to learn to use the bounce

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

I've done that three or four times in my life. 17 at my club in Indiana had an hour glass shaped green. There was no way to get anywhere near a back left pin from the front left portion of the green. So I hit the shot a few times. It's very scary! I remember hitting it close and making par one of the times. I don't ever recall taking a divot however I do remember playing with someone who did. It took several weeks for the scar to heal.

I did it a couple of weeks ago when I posted this pic in the Pics from the course thread.

IMG_0722.jpg

This is our par 3 #4 hole playing into the prevailing wind.  The pin on the back of the green where the group in from of us are standing, about 160.  The front part of the green is offset to the left and that part of the green plays 115-120 normally.  What you can't see in the pic is a large bunker that runs alongside the front part of the green tenth right, so if you go for the pin where the guys are and don't hit it 130, you are in a bad spot.  I hit a way-to-high draw into the wind and it ended up on the green just to the right of that bunker on the left.  I had to hit a flop shot over the mound to the pin with the green sloping away.  Hit my 58* SCOR to 6 feet past the pin and made par.  No divot.  Not my first time; probably not my last.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've used a 7 iron in this situation a handful of times

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I can't recall if I've ever done that. And I don't recommend it at the local muni or club level. The reason being is that unlike on TV the course will readily get the grounds crew out there and repair it properly if necessary. If I were playing with some guys and one of them wanted to attempt that shot I think I'd suggest some free relief instead of risking the possibility of damaging the green. At our level and where we play it's bad enough with people not repairing pitch marks let alone taking a swipe with a wedge. It's a recipe for unnecessary damage.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I hit a wedge off a green once - back in High School during a match. Wish I could say it was the green of the hole I was playing at the time...

that would be a penalty I believe. You have to take relief from a green of a hole you aren't playing.

I hit a wedge off a green once - back in High School during a match. Wish I could say it was the green of the hole I was playing at the time...

Been there before too. The officials actually gave me a relief from the green so I didn't dig to China.

Edit: maybe I shoulda read the rule book...

- Alan

I rarely take a divot nowadays. Just a bruise even with 7-Pw and all wedges.

It is the perfect lie on the green. Hard not to make Ball first contact. Obviously I try to avoid it at all costs, but when the time comes I can pull it off with no damage to the green.

I practice chipping down the hallway at work. It is low pile Augusta fast carpet.

USGA Rule 25-3, if a player's ball is on a wrong putting green, he must take relief and drop within one club length not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. The nearest point of relief must also not be in a hazard or on a putting green.

USGA Rule 25-3, if a player's ball is on a wrong putting green, he must take relief and drop within one club length not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief. The nearest point of relief must also not be in a hazard or on a putting green.

They should post that next to every green. I've seen some weird sh!t out there. People trying to smack a 3 wood off the green. I need to buy 300-400 acres and build me a personal course.

- Alan

Yup, I almost got hung but have done it without "destroying " the green.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I came very close to this scenario in yesterday's round - our 13th hole is an outstanding short par 4 - the green has a very odd shape to it - a false front, followed by a center section that is wide and fairly flat (wedged between two nasty bunkers) and a back section that is only half as wide as the front section where a bunker and hazard protect the front left and a bunker the right and front - when the pin is back there it is essentially on an island. 

It was back right yesterday and the wind was howling right to left -

I hit what looked like a good iron that hit the green but spun off a bit short of the pin to the left fringe.  I had to bump it with an 8 iron into the bank of the left bunker and let it die back towards the pin (I hit a great shot and had a tap in for par).

Had I been on the green this still would have been the correct play as I would have had to putt into higher Bermuda rough (almost impossible to judge the speed).  Had the pin been back left I doubt that I could have gotten it any where near the hole but the only chance would be to go up with a lob wedge - oh my!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I forget where I saw it.. But John Daly Used a wedge on a green and took a huge ol beaver pelt.. 

Me I have not other than putting with one a time or two instead of grabbing putter... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

The green has a lot to do with my decision to use a lob wedge off the green.  I'm confident that I won't take a divot on our greens as the surface is quite firm.  I've done it several times.  However, playing in Florida or somewhere similar where the greens are Bermuda and usually soft, I don't think I would be as confident.  First, I would not be sure how the club would interact with the turf, and second my hesitancy to hit that shot would likely result in a very bad shot.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I actually hit a wedge on the green just last Saturday. I was on a par 5 on the largest green on the course. I was just on the front edge of the green so I knew it would be a hard putt to get close. So i ended up just giving it a little nip of a hit and purposefully hit it thin as to not hit the green. It ran a bit long, but I felt like a putter would have left me a longer putt in. I missed the putt short right and made a bogey. All in all I think I was the right play and I would do it again if the situation called for it.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I haven't had to use a wedge in a green, yet anyway. Did get a couple of good ideas from this post however on when I could. At the course I play most there's a long narrow green with a VERY uphill portion that runs up the green to the flatter area. I have in the past used a hybrid to traverse the distance when the pin is in the back and I have got short into that green.

Iron specs: Adams a12os regular (needing senior) 4-sw.

Driver specs: Adams super s adjustable regular (SAA).

Handedness: Right

Handicap: 16

Wise County, Va.

Knowing my luck I'd try this and the one time I try to purposely hit it thin, I take a nice healthy divot.

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

Never actually hit a wedge off the green but I've been in that situation before and my playing partners allowed me to place my ball on the fringe to chip from there.

We would play $1 Skins, no need to potentially damage a green over a couple of bucks.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Archived