Shank help

Titlemade

I've played golf for over 50 years & never had what I could refer to as a dreaded "shank". Unfortunately, I've found the ability to shank 2-3 a round for the last month.

If I knew what caused this I could work on correcting it. Moving closer or further from the ball, moving the ball up or back in my stance...nothing seems to help. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I've played golf for over 50 years & never had what I could refer to as a dreaded "shank". Unfortunately, I've found the ability to shank 2-3 a round for the last month.

If I knew what caused this I could work on correcting it. Moving closer or further from the ball, moving the ball up or back in my stance...nothing seems to help. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Titlemade here is my two sense, I've contributed some thoughts on other threads about this. Anyway, hitting the hosel of the club, or extreme heel is a cause of usually more than one single factor (keep that in mind). Also, as a side note watch this from Tin Cup, skip to 2:04 of the video:

https://youtu.be/M5CkmKGQDb0

Anyway in all seriousness, hitting the hosel is usually a combination of losing your spine angle, upper body getting out of sink, and coming over the golf ball (usually getting too far under the ball on the takeaway). For most people the fact that their arms get to separated from their body results in leading with an open club face on an "under the ball path".

1. Now, a simple thing that can help is to make sure that your weight is not too much on your toes, try to feel yourself sitting in your heels more at address.

2. Make sure your setup isn't too closed at address. Your body wants to swing along it's natural setup and if it is closed you will restrict your natural motion which causes you to get the club stuck in an open position coming from under the ball.

3. If your butt moves in toward the ball because of releasing your lower body too soon, it will force your arms and hands to change and subsequently get in a path closer to the ball which causes heel hits. If that is the case, rest your rear against an object (IE golf bag) and force yourself to keep it contacted to the bag until you're almost clear if impact.

4. Hit balls with your eyes closed. I'm serious, no joke it works if you trust it. You will chunk your first few but once you get the hang of it you'll stripe them.

5. Tension can be a killer. Watch videos of Bobby Jones hitting, guy had no stress in his swing at all.

Hope if helps. Also don't dick around with ball position, that has nothing to do with hosels.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

• Like 5

If you're looking for something technical I'd check to make sure you don't have too much weight on your heels at address. It can cause you to lean towards the ball in the downswing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.