TESTERS WANTED! ×

An odd observation

Big money

Went to the range today and worked on my lesson.In the next stall was two young men hitting.Every word out of their mouth was TGM position golf-swing planes-force plate and trackman numbers.They talked like tour teaching pros and was automatically drawn too their expertise.You could ask them any question on the swing and got text book physics approved answers.I couldn't wait to watch them hit a ball.Was completely taken aback as they proceeded to top-shank-duck hook-slice ball after ball.They would than stop and go thru every golf terminology diagnosising their issues.Their shots still flew all over no matter how much they diagnosed.Never met a pair of young 20 something's that knew so much but yet stunk.Anyone run into this before? These guys knew every inch of the swing.But just couldn't do it at all

Keep it in the short stuff

It happens sometimes unfortunately. The muni range near my work there are a few guys like that. Love to strike up conversation and give swing tips.

One guy ask me if he can give me an advice, I said sure lemme see your swing, I said, he hacked a few balls, I asked how's his game, he said pretty good mid 80s. I said I'm surprised and that's good for him but no thanks. He asked me how I shoot I said even par this morning, he kept his mouth shut. If he's a real guru he'd kept going. Just another fake.

That's why when I'm taking a lesson, I like hitting on to a range.   While my instructor uses Trackman, only he knows what all those numbers mean, I have no idea.   But I can see what the ball is actually doing, can't do that hitting into a net.   

That's why when I'm taking a lesson, I like hitting on to a range.   While my instructor uses Trackman, only he knows what all those numbers mean, I have no idea.   But I can see what the ball is actually doing, can't do that hitting into a net.   

There is no place within a 100 miles where I can hit into a net... thankfully!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

agree.I took a chance lately on an online lesson.It was an learning opportunity.But Nothing beats one on one with a qualified pro.Someone posted to take another online lesson.Personally my next lessons will be in person and hopefully not online.They can say all they want do this and do that on the video.But without someone showing me in person-or interpreting trackman data i will struggle to get it.The learning curve would save one months of frustration and guessing

I'm due for my next swing check up with my pro. I'm not really looking forward to it this time around as everything is working for me. I'm at the point where I'm thinking less and less on the course. Shots are going as planned.

It takes a few months to assimilate new mechanics and at least a few more to stop thinking about it. May be I'll wait til Falls.

Honestly I have this problem, I understand the swing. I know what I am doing wrong and can see what others are doing but I cant seem to perfect it myself, Im slowly getting better but no where near perfect. 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Happens at my range all the time particularly in the winter.

They generally are pros and they hit the snot out of the ball though.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Just a hunch but I'm guessing they are MGS Forum members. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Went to the range today and worked on my lesson.In the next stall was two young men hitting.Every word out of their mouth was TGM position golf-swing planes-force plate and trackman numbers.They talked like tour teaching pros and was automatically drawn too their expertise.You could ask them any question on the swing and got text book physics approved answers.I couldn't wait to watch them hit a ball.Was completely taken aback as they proceeded to top-shank-duck hook-slice ball after ball.They would than stop and go thru every golf terminology diagnosising their issues.Their shots still flew all over no matter how much they diagnosed.Never met a pair of young 20 something's that knew so much but yet stunk.Anyone run into this before? These guys knew every inch of the swing.But just couldn't do it at all

now thats funny

We have guys like this at our club. The way I look at it is they really are a student of the game and are working towards a goal. Now if they try and give me advise I tend to not listen. But they are there spending money and that's all any course can hope for

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I think mid handicap range is the range that have a lot of knowledge and active with the current trend of biomechanics golf. Most also have the guts/nerves to try to pull out all kinds of shots out on the course.

When you get that out of your system and more experience kicks in you start utilizing much less shots.

As for the info, I don't mind taking one if needed as these guys can talk circles around me about numbers and biomechanics. Not sure how much I can take their "instructions" because clearly it's not the approach to my game.

I know a ton about the swing, doesn't mean I can execute!

Haha right? It's like I understand every mechanic that goes in to the swing, and I can play it out in my head on how it should happen. But, for some reason I just can't do it.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Im learning as best as I can.But the more I delve in it the more questions I have.Has to be a point where you have to go play and trust what you have or don't.How much can one really micro manage every square inch of a golf swing?

Was secretly stalking a few online golf programs-online lessons to get a feel for them.Easily 90% online golf involve micro managing every square inch of the swing

Always wonder what this crowd would think of a par shooter with an imperfect swing?.Would he or she be called a heretic.

I (understandably) find it irritating when guys who are no good at all, try to give me swing tips. It's like, I'm already beating you by 10 shots...lay off!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I know a ton about the swing, doesn't mean I can execute!

Right? How hard is it to understand, it's a double pendulum movement. Not much to it. Repeating a correct movement is the key.

Im learning as best as I can.But the more I delve in it the more questions I have.Has to be a point where you have to go play and trust what you have or don't.How much can one really micro manage every square inch of a golf swing?

Was secretly stalking a few online golf programs-online lessons to get a feel for them.Easily 90% online golf involve micro managing every square inch of the swing

Always wonder what this crowd would think of a par shooter with an imperfect swing?.Would he or she be called a heretic.

I read all kinds of books and vids on golf and golf swings. I'm even currently subscribed to Adam Young's teaching, he promotes too much complexity in a golf swing. I'm sure he's a great dude but it came across to me like the guy likes to hear himself talk.

I used to want an Ernie Els' swing, but I'm working on a Lee Travino's style swing because it's more effective, more repeatable, and better for my scoring. It comes with a huge bonus of less maintenance, much less than Sean Foley's swing.

I (understandably) find it irritating when guys who are no good at all, try to give me swing tips. It's like, I'm already beating you by 10 shots...lay off!Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeap!

They tend to over talk what they know which do more harm than good. Technical aspect of golf swing is only a small percentage in a golf game as a whole. It's as easy to grasp as the rule of golf.

Plus all of the golf gurus out there are not better than their pro students/ clients anyways.

Application and execution is the bulk of the game, and these guys are not there yet. There are more dues to pay.

I think mid handicap range is the range that have a lot of knowledge and active with the current trend of biomechanics golf. Most also have the guts/nerves to try to pull out all kinds of shots out on the course.

When you get that out of your system and more experience kicks in you start utilizing much less shots.

As for the info, I don't mind taking one if needed as these guys can talk circles around me about numbers and biomechanics. Not sure how much I can take their "instructions" because clearly it's not the approach to my game.

My teacher is old school but uses video and will use a launch monitor if you ask for it - I don't he's managed to get a few people on tour and kids into college without it. When I get to that level perhaps I'll ask for it. :).

I'm with you Rusty - I'm just trying to make the game as simple as possible.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 3 weeks later...

1 of the golden rules in golf never ever give advice unless someone asks for it ever!!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Archived