Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Erin Hills was my Second Favorite US Open.

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

I Love the US Open

If you are anything like me, you are now coming down off of a thirty-hour golf TV binge. I love the US Open. I look forward to the brutality of the course, and how the best in the world rise to the challenge, hitting shots better suited to the Marvel Universe than our own.

I relentlessly watch this tournament year after year, and I'd rate this US Open as one of the best. To be precise, it's my second favorite US Open.

My favorite US Open was the 2010 tournament at Pebble Beach. I rank that one first because I was there. It was amazing to watch the pros navigate iconic Pebble, and pretty amazing too to experience the crowd swells when Tiger or Phil would flow through where we were sitting. Camping out on the 7th on Saturday was nothing but fun. I'll be there again in 2019 for sure.

Prior to this weekend, I would have ranked the 2008 US Open at Torrey Pines as number two. Though I'm old enough to remember some of the more historical US Open battles, I don't remember them. But I do remember one-legged Tiger and Rocco going head to head. Man that was great theater, and the golf was solid as well. After this weekend though, that battle at Torrey now ranks third.

The 2017 US Open at Erin Hills has claimed my second spot, and it has nothing to do with -9 rounds, or the vicious fescue being above knee. Rather it is one simple word that causes me to reflect fondly upon this Open. That word is Beef.

That's right, the number T42 finisher, Andrew “Beef” Johnston made the US Open one to remember for me.

My Initial Open Mood: Bummer

https://twitter.com/IrishGolferMag/status/874233193033060352

This US Open started with the infamous Kevin Na complaint/public service video about the punitive level of the fescue. I took his initial intention as pissed off rant, though he later talked about how he was just giving golf fans an inside the ropes look at the event. Rory then chimed in with something along the lines of It's an Open, hit the generous fairways. Naturally karma then caused Rory to spend too much time in the long fescue.

I felt like negativity flowed everywhere leading into the tournament. Even Phil's decision to skip the tournament for his daughter's graduation was a source of saltiness for some. Overall, I took the general preliminary mood as unpleasant, and that is what made me relish and revere what I saw coming from Beef.

Hopefully you had a chance to see the pre-round videos that Beef produced. They were epic instructional videos about how to play Erin Hills. Here is one about how to hit out of the sand.

And another about how to deal with shots in the fescue. It's in Instagram so I can't embed the video, but it's worth the click.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVS7eZnhiyS/

Remember, this is a major tournament. People were overall pretty serious/uptight about it. Again, it was news that Phil Mickelson would go to a graduation event for his own daughter rather than play. That said, Phil wanted to play so bad that he had calculated that a four-hour rain delay could get him in the field. I'm sure that he will cherish the memories of his daughter graduating high school, but I also believe that he watched the Saturday coverage of the windless, rain-softened course and knew that he too should be out there torching it.

That major-ness, seemingly shared by all of the parties involved, is why I found Beef so refreshing. There was a level of it's just a game in him that is flat out missing in the pros of today. I truly believe that Beef enjoys golf, and appreciates that his ability to make money playing this game is nothing short of amazing. His smile and attitude are infectious, and a stark contrast to the others out there grinding and grimacing.

The best thing is that Beef's game is no joke. While some of the huge names in golf left Wisconsin before the weekend, Beef played Saturday and Sunday. He played well too. After Saturday, Andrew Johnston was T35, while defending champ Dustin Johnson was back with Paulina and the kids. Beef has game.

Beef also stands out in the golfer crowd, and that also made the tournament enjoyable for me as a TV spectator. On a course where all of the holes seemed to look the same on TV, and many of the golfers did as well, Andrew “Beef” Johnston was unique. Not as a clownish spectacle, but rather as a man who obviously enjoys playing the game, while at the same time remains competitive. After so many years of Tiger-inspired intensity in tour pros (aka frowns), it's refreshing to see someone who still plays golf as a game.

Even without the added coolness I'm getting to next, I'm all in with Beef. Beef fans need a name. Katy Perry fans are Katy Cats; Lady Gaga's, Little Monsters. Beef fans need a cool moniker too. Maybe Beef's Battalion, or The Beefy Bunch. Some name will click, and I'm in for charter fanboy membership.

IMG_1860.JPG

Back to the coolest thing ever. One of our mygolfspy.com forum members is on his way to the British Open (The Open, I know) because of the coolness of Beef, and his sponsor Arby's. Basically, during the round on Saturday, a representative of the Arby's/Beef cohort presented our member with a piece of paper saying that Beef would like him and a guest to join him for The Open. Air, hotel, and such, all covered.

IMG_1861.JPG

What did it take to win such a cool prize, he followed Beef and cheered him on. Granted, he likely drew attention to himself by out-bearding Beef. Think about this though.This contest was already in place prior to Beef playing the tournament. He and Arby's came up with the coolest unpromoted contest ever, and that's what is so awesome.

“Let's pick some of the fans to fly to the UK and hang out for the Open.”

Beef's scores show that he has obviously spent a great deal of time getting his game together, but his videos, and that contest also show that he has retained a sense of perspective and fun. For me, that feeling of fun was infectious, and it really made me enjoy this year's tournament.

So, thanks to you Mr. Johnston. Your approach to Erin Hills, Wisconsin brought enjoyment to My Couch, California. Can't wait to follow you around the next Pebble Beach US Open in 2019. I'll get working on my beard right away.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

I can't believe you spent the entire weekend watching TV... So many better things you could do as an adult.

The summer cold had one benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Huge congrats to evershady -- he's the dude that was following Beef around Saturday and now, thanks to his facial hair, is headed to The Open!  

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I Love the US Open

https://twitter.com/usopengolf/status/875309278638288896

If you are anything like me, you are now coming down off of a thirty-hour golf TV binge. I love the US Open. I look forward to the brutality of the course, and how the best in the world rise to the challenge, hitting shots better suited to the Marvel Universe than our own.

I relentlessly watch this tournament year after year, and I'd rate this US Open as one of the best. To be precise, it's my second favorite US Open.

My favorite US Open was the 2010 tournament at Pebble Beach. I rank that one first because I was there. It was amazing to watch the pros navigate iconic Pebble, and pretty amazing too to experience the crowd swells when Tiger or Phil would flow through where we were sitting. Camping out on the 7th on Saturday was nothing but fun. I'll be there again in 2019 for sure.

Prior to this weekend, I would have ranked the 2008 US Open at Torrey Pines as number two. Though I'm old enough to remember some of the more historical US Open battles, I don't remember them. But I do remember one-legged Tiger and Rocco going head to head. Man that was great theater, and the golf was solid as well. After this weekend though, that battle at Torrey now ranks third.

The 2017 US Open at Erin Hills has claimed my second spot, and it has nothing to do with -9 rounds, or the vicious fescue being above knee. Rather it is one simple word that causes me to reflect fondly upon this Open. That word is Beef.

That's right, the number T42 finisher, Andrew “Beef” Johnston made the US Open one to remember for me.

My Initial Open Mood: Bummer

https://twitter.com/IrishGolferMag/status/874233193033060352

This US Open started with the infamous Kevin Na complaint/public service video about the punitive level of the fescue. I took his initial intention as pissed off rant, though he later talked about how he was just giving golf fans an inside the ropes look at the event. Rory then chimed in with something along the lines of It's an Open, hit the generous fairways. Naturally karma then caused Rory to spend too much time in the long fescue.

I felt like negativity flowed everywhere leading into the tournament. Even Phil's decision to skip the tournament for his daughter's graduation was a source of saltiness for some. Overall, I took the general preliminary mood as unpleasant, and that is what made me relish and revere what I saw coming from Beef.

Hopefully you had a chance to see the pre-round videos that Beef produced. They were epic instructional videos about how to play Erin Hills. Here is one about how to hit out of the sand.

And another about how to deal with shots in the fescue. It's in Instagram so I can't embed the video, but it's worth the click.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVS7eZnhiyS/

Remember, this is a major tournament. People were overall pretty serious/uptight about it. Again, it was news that Phil Mickelson would go to a graduation event for his own daughter rather than play. That said, Phil wanted to play so bad that he had calculated that a four-hour rain delay could get him in the field. I'm sure that he will cherish the memories of his daughter graduating high school, but I also believe that he watched the Saturday coverage of the windless, rain-softened course and knew that he too should be out there torching it.

That major-ness, seemingly shared by all of the parties involved, is why I found Beef so refreshing. There was a level of it's just a game in him that is flat out missing in the pros of today. I truly believe that Beef enjoys golf, and appreciates that his ability to make money playing this game is nothing short of amazing. His smile and attitude are infectious, and a stark contrast to the others out there grinding and grimacing.

https://twitter.com/usopengolf/status/875700000331677696

The best thing is that Beef's game is no joke. While some of the huge names in golf left Wisconsin before the weekend, Beef played Saturday and Sunday. He played well too. After Saturday, Andrew Johnston was T35, while defending champ Dustin Johnson was back with Paulina and the kids. Beef has game.

Beef also stands out in the golfer crowd, and that also made the tournament enjoyable for me as a TV spectator. On a course where all of the holes seemed to look the same on TV, and many of the golfers did as well, Andrew “Beef” Johnston was unique. Not as a clownish spectacle, but rather as a man who obviously enjoys playing the game, while at the same time remains competitive. After so many years of Tiger-inspired intensity in tour pros (aka frowns), it's refreshing to see someone who still plays golf as a game.

Even without the added coolness I'm getting to next, I'm all in with Beef. Beef fans need a name. Katy Perry fans are Katy Cats; Lady Gaga's, Little Monsters. Beef fans need a cool moniker too. Maybe Beef's Battalion, or The Beefy Bunch. Some name will click, and I'm in for charter fanboy membership.

attachicon.gifIMG_1860.JPG

Back to the coolest thing ever. One of our mygolfspy.com forum members is on his way to the British Open (The Open, I know) because of the coolness of Beef, and his sponsor Arby's. Basically, during the round on Saturday, a representative of the Arby's/Beef cohort presented our member with a piece of paper saying that Beef would like him and a guest to join him for The Open. Air, hotel, and such, all covered.

attachicon.gifIMG_1861.JPG

What did it take to win such a cool prize, he followed Beef and cheered him on. Granted, he likely drew attention to himself by out-bearding Beef. Think about this though.This contest was already in place prior to Beef playing the tournament. He and Arby's came up with the coolest unpromoted contest ever, and that's what is so awesome.

“Let's pick some of the fans to fly to the UK and hang out for the Open.”

Beef's scores show that he has obviously spent a great deal of time getting his game together, but his videos, and that contest also show that he has retained a sense of perspective and fun. For me, that feeling of fun was infectious, and it really made me enjoy this year's tournament.

So, thanks to you Mr. Johnston. Your approach to Erin Hills, Wisconsin brought enjoyment to My Couch, California. Can't wait to follow you around the next Pebble Beach US Open in 2019. I'll get working on my beard right away.

Very good, lighthearted read! Thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Congrats evershady!!  I expect a full review of all of your experiences.  Remember, you are representing the best dang golf forum on both sides of the pond!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Huge congrats to evershady -- he's the dude that was following Beef around Saturday and now, thanks to his facial hair, is headed to The Open!  

That is so freaking cool!!   I heard about the contest and the winner.  But had no earthly idea it was our very own Evershady!   That's fantastic.   And from what I hear Evershady can hit out there with Beef as well.   

Hopefully we'll get an exclusive recap or write up of the experience from Evershady!! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Archived