Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MY BET FROM 5 YEARS AGO INVOLVING RORY & DJ

mdfrey6er

5 years ago, I bet my best friend $100 that Rory wouldn't win 10 majors & $50 dollars DJ wouldn't win 5.

I'm a little shaky on DJ (and actually I am pulling for him), but am feeling quite confident on the Rory bet.

My rationale was that there are simply too many good players that will continue to come up & with Rory, he is too mental.

I wouldn't doubt Rory gets on this blog & tries to put me in my place! Between his sensitivity to bloggers in social media & his ability to continually injure himself via his training regimen, I find myself getting closer every day.

I get it Rors, you're laughing all the way to the bank, but in the end I think 10 majors is too much!

What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-J700T using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Unfortunately, as much as I hate Steve Elkington, his tweet to Rory had some truth in it.  I'm not saying he's complacent but Rory is beyond set between his Nike deal and other endorsements and has shifted his focus to other things including marriage.  Not that I think anything is wrong with that as I think life balance is very important.

Sucks for fans that want to see Tiger like domination all the time but let's be honest, it is going to take someone that has that almost sociopathic attitude toward the game to match what Tiger was doing.  Golf was first for him for so long and family and life was second which we all saw how well that worked out for Tiger in the end.

My bag is a revolving door!

Don't think for a second these guys don't want to win, and they work very hard at trying to do so, the endorsements make it so it doesn't hurt too badly when the year don't, I agree, Rory won't get to 10, DJ is good enough and young enough to win 5, but hem at not put it together enough in he majors to do so.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

... While the odds are on your side, Rory is very streaky and when he gets hot he is just about unbeatable. But the question is ... will he get hot during a Major or just regular tour events? LOL, I have no clue about DJ. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

DJ wins 7 by the time he is done. All of them US Opens and PGA... he might sneak in a British.

Rory... 13 but only if he gets one this year. Never a Masters.

... Well yea sure, anybody can make that prediction. But what years will he win them?  B)

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... Well yea sure, anybody can make that prediction. But what years will he win them? B)

DJ: US Open 2016, 2020, 2021,

DJ: PGA 2019

DJ: Open 2022,2025

RM: US Open 2011, 2018, 2027

RM: PGA 2012, 2014, 2017, 2020, 2022

RM: Open 2014, 2018, 2021, 2023, 2028

- Alan

DJ wins 7 by the time he is done. All of them US Opens and PGA... he might sneak in a British.

Rory... 13 but only if he gets one this year. Never a Masters.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Hey Shankster, can I start a side bet with you!?!

Haha, that is 20 between the two of them... so that would equate to 50% of all majors being won by either DJ or Rory over the next 10 years or 25% of all majors being won by one of those two over the next 20 years!

I like my odds!

3 people in the history of the game have won 10 majors. I'd say that's a safe bet beyond a doubt. If Rory wins 6 he's in the top ten of all time. Five is even tough- only 19 guys have ever done that. Both very talented but it takes tremendous perseverance and skill and the ability to take advantage of and shake off the breaks that come your way both good and bad to win large numbers of majors. The list of guys who won between 2 and 4 can be impressive - Greg Norman 2 and curious Larry Nelson 3.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I guess I didn't take into consideration the majors already won, but I still like my odds with you Alan!

We are forgetting about he dude that we don't know yet. The next phenomenon is hiding somewhere. Give it about 5 years. We'll see some magical stuff happen.

- Alan

I had a very similar conversation with my boss last summer after DJ finally one his first.

We included Jason Day in the mix since he was currently world number 1 and also Jordan Spieth after his phenomenal 2015.

I said then, and still believe, That Spieth will end his career with more majors than any of the group.

I think Rory is the most talented. But I think Spieth is the most consistent and least prone to injury of the bunch.

It seems he is always going to be in the mix at the US Open and Masters. Just missed an Open Championship playoff two years ago.

I don't think any of them get to 10. See Revs comment. Its just not done.

Plus they are all hurt by the fact they are going against each other for the next 10 to 15 years.

Its a great time for the sport of Golf in my mind.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

5 years ago, I bet my best friend $100 that Rory wouldn't win 10 majors & $50 dollars DJ wouldn't win 5.

I'm a little shaky on DJ (and actually I am pulling for him), but am feeling quite confident on the Rory bet.

My rationale was that there are simply too many good players that will continue to come up & with Rory, he is too mental.

I wouldn't doubt Rory gets on this blog & tries to put me in my place! Between his sensitivity to bloggers in social media & his ability to continually injure himself via his training regimen, I find myself getting closer every day.

I get it Rors, you're laughing all the way to the bank, but in the end I think 10 majors is too much!

What do you guys think?

The depth on the tour and these amazing college players coming on appear to limit one player's dominance. Definitely talented but not unique.

I'd be perfectly happy if it was a different winner every time. There is so much talent, and now that we are way past the Tiger boom. There is a ton of talent on tour, it's anyone's game to lose. I don't think there is a clear "front runner" to dominate like Mr. Woods.

I don't think Speith will win anything anytime soon... or at least hope he doesn't. Go ahead and blast me, but I can't stand him or JT.

DJ: US Open 2016, 2020, 2021,

DJ: PGA 2019

DJ: Open 2022,2025

RM: US Open 2011, 2018, 2027

RM: PGA 2012, 2014, 2017, 2020, 2022

RM: Open 2014, 2018, 2021, 2023, 2028

- Alan

Al, by your listing here, these two players will win 35% of the majors over the next 10 years. I'm not sure about that, not with as inconsistent as even the best players are currently.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Al, by your listing here, these two players will win 35% of the majors over the next 10 years. I'm not sure about that, not with as inconsistent as even the best players are currently.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Yeah, I must have been sleeping when I said they'd win all those. I bet we see a new winner each major for a while.

I retract my DJ and RM winnings!

- Alan

Archived