TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cigar humidor advice

Zylem

I am looking at getting two humidors, one for my house and a smaller one for my locker at my golf club. Any advice on what I should look for? I'd like the one for my house to hold 50 sticks or so and the one for my locker can be much less. The locker one really is just to keep a few in there in case I forget to bring some from the house or I want an extra one.

What are some good tips on setting one up after I buy it?

Thanks for the help.

• SPY VIP

Thats a cool setup and 5 sticks would be plenty as a back up. How long on average do you go before having to add water to it?

couple of weeks is fine. Usually buy five at a time and smoke through them fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

For the one at the house, it really depends on how much you plan on storing, since humidors work best when 80% full.  I have 4 self standing humidors that hold 500 and one 100 count humi that i use to rotate cigars that I know will be smoked in the near future.  I also use the 100 count to hold cigars that I pass out to guests.

For the club, I use a Pelican style case that holds 20 with the foam trays.  Before that I just used a freezer bag with two cedar sheets and a 69% humipack which did the job just as good.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Just wanted to update you all. A friend of mine was upgrading to a larger desk humidor so he sold me his 50 capacity one for a good deal. I seasoned it during the weekend and loaded it up.

For the locker at my club I went with a hard pelican style case like Hula an Dave recommended. It holds up to 10 cigars which I think will be plenty. Thanks for all the advice.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Just wanted to update you all. A friend of mine was upgrading to a larger desk humidor so he sold me his 50 capacity one for a good deal. I seasoned it during the weekend and loaded it up.

For the locker at my club I went with a hard pelican style case like Hula an Dave recommended. It holds up to 10 cigars which I think will be plenty. Thanks for all the advice.

Just throw in on of those humipacks in the pelican case,  it will last 3 or more months.  

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Thanks, I also purchased a new sticks to try out next time I am on the course. I'll throw a review up here when I get a chance. I tend to stick with more mild flavors since I play in the mornings and only eat a light breakfast. Some of the fuller cigars make my head spin and I that's the last thing I need on the tee box with this summer Florida rough.

• 1 year later...

A lot of people on here would say there aren't quality humidors in that price range. I wouldn't know, I've never owned one. But I will suggest that you save your money and buy some air-tight Tupperware https://coolerexp.com/best-cigar-humidors-review/ and some 65% Boveda packs and spend the money you save on quality cigars. IMO, the only reason you should buy a humidor is when you have about $4-500 or more to spend and it's an heirloom that you will pass down to your kids. I have 3 wood humidors that I love and each one holds at least 250...I also have three 50 count wood humidors which work but aren't worth the price of what I paid. Tupperware is your friend....they work as good as my expensive large wood humidors but they don't transfer the cedar aroma into my cigars like my wood humis. When I open my wood humi I get this wafting aroma of cedar in my face and that delights my senses ....it accounts for a better than average smoking session...like the scent of vanilla and honey at some strip joint on the edge of town....but I digress because I've only heard stories of the aroma of vanilla and honey at those places and how much glitter gets stuck on your lap and you go home and the wife asks...."wtf is that stuff on your pants ....you at Hobby Lobby again you crafty fkr?" I think everybody should own one good wood humidor....but take the time to shop...ask questions..always buy from a credible source/Vendor where the warranty is a great one...not a marginal one...a great one! I like watching a video on YouTube on such topics, I'll leave you one of them here, I hope it will useful to someone

I've always believed tupperdors are a good place to start for a newbie cigar person, but I would never tell anyone they shouldn't buy a wooden humidor. I have a few excellent cheap wooden units that have not only performed well, but looked great sitting on a coffee table or bar. 

I keep a few tupperdors for specialty cigars I don't want mixing with my regular sticks. Pretty easy to set-up and by adding a piece of cedar you get 75% of the aroma of a wooden box. 

BTW-Welcome to the forum!

photo2_zps19a06c28.jpg

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Archived