TESTERS WANTED! ×

Playing in wet conditions

Wedgie

Hey guys, need some help. It has really been a wet spring in the Northeast and a couple of the courses I play don't seem do be draining at all. Water isn't seeping up but definitely spongy.

Anyway, I play a really low bounce Mizuno iron set and am hitting a lot of fat shots. I figured I just sucked but found a dry course and proceeded to shoot my best round in 5 years with no fat shots.

I'm curious if anyone does anything different while playing in wet/spongy conditions like choke down, club up, etc....

Any help is appreciated.

Wedgie

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I have the same problem where I am at in early spring. Not too many fat shots. But I learned to play on a dried up piece of sand paper. So when it gets soggy my steep-ish swing doesn't hold up too well.

What I do is actually take some of the bounce off by leaning the club slightly forward at address and playing the ball back about a ball width.

*disclaimer* this is probably not the right thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

We had a really wet May here and I found I was doing the same. For me I just put the ball back a bit in my stance and really made sure to get good ball contact and take any early ground contact out of play. I know you're suppose to hit ball then turf but being a 13 handicap misshits happen.

All that being said it did also help me learn to shallow out my swing!

Now that it's dried up here my games really improved!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

It doesn't rain much here so when it rains or get really windy I'd make the point of going out and play.

Clubbing up in wet condition is a great idea. Works well for me. My bread'n'butter swing is knock down and less than full swing. I found that more compact swing promotes cleaner contact in high demand situation. Plus spongy greens tend to stop the balk quickly and less roll do you'd need more carry.

The only major part of my game that usually suffers in wet condition is putting. I like fast greens and downhill putts. In wet conditions I normally leave the putts shorts or start manufacturing a popping strokes. Hmmm! Still work in progress.

Thanks for the tips. When clubbing up do you still expect a fat shot or is the goal cleaner contact?

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Play it back a little and try to pick it. Plays to bit of a thin pull, but nothing fat.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I tend to add an extra club and/or take a three quarter swing to help my chances at good ball first contact. If I put the ball back in my stance it's only slightly, maybe a couple inches, I tend miss shots if I move it much more.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Okay, I live in Seattle so I thrive in wet (or soaked) conditions. Here are my tips to prevent your round from getting water logged:

1. Ball farther back in the stance. You want to make sure you're hitting the turf in front of the ball.

2. Sometimes the rough is better. The ball sits up a little, so it can be easier to make clean contact.

3. Just don't play at all

Oh, and if you frequently play in soggy conditions, definitely get wedges with a high bounce. Less chunked shots, much more fun.

TaylorMade SLDR, regular, std. length &lie

2017 TaylorMade M1, stiff, 10.5°

Left handed

Washington State

7.3 Index

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

You need to cover the ball and have a more aggressive angle of attack coming down on the ball. Try to create your hands in front of the club and have that shaft lean

Sent from my LG-H810 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mizuno MP59 - KBS Tour -standard length and Lie (flex, length/lie)

Nike Vapor Fly - 8.5* Stiff

Right Handed

Buffalo Grove

15 HCP

Simple as that?

It really is - He's a good player and plays in similar conditions to mine in Florida. It's wet here half the year and dry here half the year. When it's wet you have to resign yourself to the fact that you won't hit it as far and learn to take more club and swing within yourself.

Frankly I often score better in wet conditions because the ball holds and the fairways play much wider. Even though it's a longer club in the it's not going anywhere and it's way easier to chip or pitch the misses close.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Simple as that?

Pretty much, the idea is not to "dig" the irons into the ground, more of a sweeping motion, also, when its wet the ball slides up the face therefore it will not go as far, so you need to club up to get the distance.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Clubbing up and swinging easier helps hugely. Soft ground under your feet makes it much more difficult to get back to the ball. A normal swing can easily become an overswing due to feet sinking into the ground. Soft ground also seems to absorb impact energy on well struck irons, hence 2 clubs more can help.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Simple as that?

That was the exact same advice I was given by someone that played college.

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

When playing in soggy conditions remember to choke up on the grip as your feet are sinking lower than normal. That is all you need to do.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I always move the ball back in my stance in wet conditions, I grew up playing in Texas where the ground gets hard as a rock in the summer so I've always had a steep swing.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I stick with mostly irons when it's wet. The biggest issue I find is chipping and putting since the ball likes to pick up water and throw the brakes on hard.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Certainly, high bounce wedges and wide soles help in soft conditions. The thing you have to be able to do when conditions are wet is pick the ball a little more. How you get there can vary so you may just have to experiment on the range or during a practice round. I've typically been a "picker", but as I've gotten better I've started noticing I can dig if the turf allows it. Still, that doesn't happen often enough to warrant a complete change in strategy.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Archived