Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Need help quick!

robertson153

This weekend is my clubs open invitational. I've been trying to get in extra practice the last couple of weeks. The last 4 or 5 rounds I've been pulling every iron shot. I know my lead shoulder is flying open, but can't stop it. Is there an easy fix? Would an open or closed stance help? I feel like I'm setting up square, but could not be. I play practice rounds by myself to be able to hit multiple shots with the same lie. But that also hurts me because no one is around to tell me if I'm square or open or closed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

Hard to make any suggestions with so little information.  Can't your club pro take a look?

I will make one comment, and please take it with a grain of salt.  I had a similar problem a few years ago.  Since I don't have a high swing speed (hell it's hardly medium), I use driver on every hole that's not a par 3, and I don't have to worry about getting to the trouble.  The problem was I got used to having the ball forward in my stance, and I was playing my irons too far forward.  Consequently, I had to work hard to get to the ball, and when I did my swing was starting the inward path on my follow-through.  Pulled shots!  Once I moved the ball back in my stance a couple of inches, all was good.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Hard to make any suggestions with so little information. Can't your club pro take a look?

I will make one comment, and please take it with a grain of salt. I had a similar problem a few years ago. Since I don't have a high swing speed (hell it's hardly medium), I use driver on every hole that's not a par 3, and I don't have to worry about getting to the trouble. The problem was I got used to having the ball forward in my stance, and I was playing my irons too far forward. Consequently, I had to work hard to get to the ball, and when I did my swing was starting the inward path on my follow-through. Pulled shots! Once I moved the ball back in my stance a couple of inches, all was good.

At this point I'll take any suggestions. I'm 30 with a pretty fast swing speed. Can't tell you exact speed, never had it measured. I have noticed sometimes I tend to have the ball close to front foot on every shot. When it's in the middle it feels like I'm playing it off back foot, like I'm trying to hit a low punch shot.

CobraConnectChallenge3

If you have access to a pro go there. If not lay two clubs or shafts or sticks down and align your feet along them. Get a friend to stand behind you to verify if your shoulders are properly aligned as well. It's possible to get the feet aligned properly while having the shoulders miss aligned.

It's also possible that there is something else going on that is not alignment related.

Good luck! Let us know how you do.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I listen to PGA tour radio in my car every day and on one of the shows, people call in with this problem all the time. They usually always tell them they need to be more lateral with their hips in their swing. Another words, don't allow your hips to open as quickly. Try to keep your left butt cheek (assuming your right handed) facing the target longer like it is at address. I know it's helped me a few times and seems to help many of the callers.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but have you tried turning your shoulders so that your entire upper back points at the target on the takeaway?

I'm not a coach or a PGA pro or anything but I get lazy sometimes and don't complete my full shoulder turn back but complete it through.  That usually means my left shoulder is too far to the left at impact and the face is closed resulting in pulled shots.

Once I remember to make a full shoulder turn back (my reminder is to point my back at my target) then my turn through is more "square" and I don't pull the ball as much.  

Careful though... you don't want to overcorrect and end up hitting push shots to the right!  

Good luck and have fun in the tournament!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I feel like it a slight inside out

Hmm, maybe try switching those around? That will set you up for more of a fade. You could also try opening up your stance a bit...

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

At this point I'll take any suggestions. I'm 30 with a pretty fast swing speed. Can't tell you exact speed, never had it measured. I have noticed sometimes I tend to have the ball close to front foot on every shot. When it's in the middle it feels like I'm playing it off back foot, like I'm trying to hit a low punch shot.

Also try moving the ball back a bit. I think that might help.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but have you tried turning your shoulders so that your entire upper back points at the target on the takeaway?

I'm not a coach or a PGA pro or anything but I get lazy sometimes and don't complete my full shoulder turn back but complete it through. That usually means my left shoulder is too far to the left at impact and the face is closed resulting in pulled shots.

Once I remember to make a full shoulder turn back (my reminder is to point my back at my target) then my turn through is more "square" and I don't pull the ball as much.

Careful though... you don't want to overcorrect and end up hitting push shots to the right!

Good luck and have fun in the tournament!

Now that you mention it I think I have been using more "arms" on backswing. Instead of rotating with my arms. And like you said I have no problem rotating hips through impact.

CobraConnectChallenge3

Quick fix: shift your weight forward, so you can't open your leading shoulder prematurely

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Here is a temporary fix: play a fade. A pull fade is essentially the same as hitting it straight. After the tournament, you can try to fix it permanently.

TaylorMade SLDR, regular, std. length &lie

2017 TaylorMade M1, stiff, 10.5°

Left handed

Washington State

7.3 Index

Sounds like my miss. The current PGA pro I am working with says in my case ... I have to play the ball back ... about even with my left ear ... & try and 'chase' my follow thru a bit more. No quick fix for me. You should have a PGA pro look at your setup & swing. Faster results.

Sent from my XT1650 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Played a quick 9 today after work. Getting better, still pulling but not near as bad. Headed out tomorrow with the club pro. This guy fixed my putting problem earlier this year, so my confidence he can help is pretty high. I would've asked him sooner, but he just got back from Scotland. That's right I said Scotland. He got to play St. Andrews twice. Anyways I played the ball farther back in my stance. Seemed to help quit a bit, now he can fine tune my mechanics. Thanks for all the input from everyone who commented.

CobraConnectChallenge3

One last thing that helped me was to move a bit farther back away from the ball. On my driver I notice a hard swing tends to extend my arms and change my rotation. If that makes sense. 😃

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Get on the range with alignment sticks, one pointing directly at your target, and 2 parallel about 6 inches apart pointing just to the right of your target (assuming you are right handed) align toe body with the stick pointed at the Target and swing along the path of the others to develop an inside out path.

Sent from my LG-H810 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mizuno MP59 - KBS Tour -standard length and Lie (flex, length/lie)

Nike Vapor Fly - 8.5* Stiff

Right Handed

Buffalo Grove

15 HCP

I know a trick that works for me. If your a right handed golfer and pulling the ball grip slightly tighter with your pinky and ring finger on your left hand. If your left handed do this with your right hand. This will force you to pull more through the shot.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

This weekend is my clubs open invitational. I've been trying to get in extra practice the last couple of weeks. The last 4 or 5 rounds I've been pulling every iron shot. I know my lead shoulder is flying open, but can't stop it. Is there an easy fix? Would an open or closed stance help? I feel like I'm setting up square, but could not be. I play practice rounds by myself to be able to hit multiple shots with the same lie. But that also hurts me because no one is around to tell me if I'm square or open or closed.

How's your transition? I know I tend to get a little pully when I'm too quick on the downswing. Try doing some sequencing drills if so. This will allow you to get set for your downswing. Hope this helps!

Phoenix, AZ

Driver:

Callaway Epic SZ 10 Degree w/ UST Proforce V2 Tipped 1/2" Stiff

Fairway

Nike Vapor Flex 3 Wood 15 w/Diamana Blue 70gram S

Irons:

TM UDI 2i, 4,5 Nike VP 6-PW Nike VRII Pro 

Wedges:

Kyoei Forged 52, 56, 60

Putter:  

Kana Studio Proto Blade

Dexterity:

Right-Handed

I can give you my two cents and maybe a helpful suggestion.  A while back.  I was hitting my 8, 9 and PW really well, but everything was 20 yards left.  I stopped at the turn and asked our club pro and he said you have to be getting your hands outside, so focus on making sure your hands start down before your shoulder turn.  It worked for me.  the first inch of my downswing determines if I am on target or flying open and hitting left.

You said you know your shoulder is flying open.  If your shoulders are your first movement in your downswing, your hands naturally go with them and then your hands get outside the ball so you can still make quality impact and hit it straight, but your path is more than likely 5 to 11, so the ball goes left.

Hope that helps based on what I was doing.

I can give you my two cents and maybe a helpful suggestion. A while back. I was hitting my 8, 9 and PW really well, but everything was 20 yards left. I stopped at the turn and asked our club pro and he said you have to be getting your hands outside, so focus on making sure your hands start down before your shoulder turn. It worked for me. the first inch of my downswing determines if I am on target or flying open and hitting left.

You said you know your shoulder is flying open. If your shoulders are your first movement in your downswing, your hands naturally go with them and then your hands get outside the ball so you can still make quality impact and hit it straight, but your path is more than likely 5 to 11, so the ball goes left.

Hope that helps based on what I was doing.

Have you seen me hit? That describes pretty much to a T what I'm doing. I'm headed out right now to play with the club pro. I'll post tonight what he said I'm doing and what he says to do.

CobraConnectChallenge3

Update. Just got in. Long afternoon following a long long day at work. Played 27 with the club pro. Two things causing my pull (according to him). 1 I was setting up "extremely closed" 2 resulting from #1 I was coming over causing a out to in. So, problem fixed, but all I need is for him to follow me around this weekend and line up all my shots.

CobraConnectChallenge3

First round over. Not to good.

Driver A+

Irons C+

Wedges A-

Putter F-

Didn't make 1 putt over 6ft

2 OB

1 chunk in the water

Still managed a 87 with my 15.3 handicap that's not bad considering. The worst part it put me in last place in my flight. One more stroke I would've been leading the next flight. Never wanted to shoot worse but in this instance I wished I hadn't birdied 18.

CobraConnectChallenge3

Archived