TESTERS WANTED! ×

Unplayable Lie

Kanoito

Hey fellow Spies...

Just played a competitive round last weekend and saw my 2 flight partners arguing about the following:

Guy hits his ball into the fescue (yes, US Open type). He finds it and declares it unplayable, which provides the 3 options:

1. Play another ball from the original position

2. Drop on the extension line between ball and hole as far back as you want

3. Drop the ball within 2 clubs length, not nearer to the hole

His ball was in the fescue, very close to the semi rough/fairway. 2 clubs length towards the fairway would certainly put him in a much better lie (with 1 stroke penalty).

So the question is, is the drop on shorter grass allowed or does one have to drop in the same type of grass you are lying in (similar to how you would drop if it's unplayable in a bunker)?

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

If it isn't closer to the hole.. Yes he can.

Bunkers are hazards & unless its marked as such, the fescue is not

Thanks for the clarification!

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

So the question is, is the drop on shorter grass allowed or does one have to drop in the same type of grass you are lying in (similar to how you would drop if it's unplayable in a bunker)?

Just to reinforce this, you may want to review Rule 28 for yourself, I find I remember better when I do the research for myself:

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!rule-28

The only time the idea of dropping (or placing) in the same kind of grass comes up is in scramble competitions, or in regard to the putting green.  Any other time, your drop can be in any kind of grass.  In fact, your relief from an obstruction, or for an unplayable lie, could allow you to drop in the fairway, even though your original ball was in the rough.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Dave is correct, the whole "maintain same cut of grass" is a made up thing for scrambles. In fact you could have a free drop from a sprinkler head in the fringe that puts the ball on the green. As long as it's no closer and within the prescribed distance it's perfectly allowed

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I had taken a look at the USGA and R&A rules, but there was no info regarding the cut of grass.

But now that you guys mention the scramble rule, I think that's what I've been confusing it with.

Thanks for the heads-up! Know the rules = shoot better scores... it doesn't hurt! :D

I had taken a look at the USGA and R&A rules, but there was no info regarding the cut of grass.

But now that you guys mention the scramble rule, I think that's what I've been confusing it with.

Thanks for the heads-up! Know the rules = shoot better scores... it doesn't hurt! :D

Reason for not finding out about different grass is because "it's thru the green" (fairways & rough) . It plays all the same except tee box, green & hazards.

The reason people are saying it's different for scrambles is that it's usually a local rule for that

Dave is correct, the whole "maintain same cut of grass" is a made up thing for scrambles. In fact you could have a free drop from a sprinkler head in the fringe that puts the ball on the green. As long as it's no closer and within the prescribed distance it's perfectly allowed

Note that you're not allowed to drop the ball on the green.  If it was originally not on the green, the ball must first strike the ground off the green.  If the ball then rolls onto the green, you must re-drop it.  See Rules 24-2.b.i and  20-2.c.iii.  

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Note that you're not allowed to drop the ball on the green. If it was originally not on the green, the ball must first strike the ground off the green. If the ball then rolls onto the green, you must re-drop it. See Rules 24-2.b.i and 20-2.c.iii.

I checked and I'm wrong about this. Would have sworn I saw it happen in an LPGA event this year where the ball was moved from off the green to on. Maybe there was a local rule in play about sprinkler heads

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I checked and I'm wrong about this. Would have sworn I saw it happen in an LPGA event this year where the ball was moved from off the green to on. Maybe there was a local rule in play about sprinkler heads

Lift clean and place through the green rules allow for one club length, so you can place the ball anywhere within one club length, in the cases where you are close to the green you can't put it on the green, but you ca place it as close to the green as possible, I was thinking you could put it on the green, but you can't, it can be place really close though.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• 3 weeks later...

In fact, your relief from an obstruction, or for an unplayable lie, could allow you to drop in the fairway, even though your original ball was in the rough.  

I just re-read this, and thought I should add something.  When you take relief from an obstruction, you are required to go to the nearest point of relief.  Before you pick up your ball, remember to look around and figure out where that nearest point is.  Its quite possible that your drop would have to be in a bush or behind a tree, or on a steep slope.  Relief doesn't always put you in a better position.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Archived