Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Putter fitting - worth it or not ?

Putter fitting - worth it, or nah...  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is paying to get fit for a putter worth it?

Hopefully this comes out right... trying to set up a poll.

Do you feel like it is worth it to get fit for a putter?  I understand the benefits for irons/woods but putter fitting seems to be relatively new outside of the niche market like Edel and I'm considering going to Club Champion for a fitting but since it is a putter I'm not sure it would be worth the investment since there are a lot fewer moving parts as in a full swing.  (I've played with a number of players who can't get up to the green AT ALL but once on the green they seem to be able to putt...)

If you've had one can you provide a quick recap on if you thought it was worth it and what it helped you with?  putting grip?  putter style (blade/mallet/mid-mallet, etc.)? technique? etc...

Thanks!

putterFit.gif

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have not had one, but my buddy is considering going to Club Champion to get a fitting done as well. IMO, it's definitely worth the money. It's the club you use the most and once you get fit, I feel it gives you some confidence in knowing that your putter is fit exactly to your needs and there's no second guessing the style/type of putter.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I think it's as important as any other club. Especially considering its the club that you use more than any other

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

It is the most important club and the one you'll use on every hole. Golfers will spend so much on a driver every (few) year(s), but tend to go cheap or off the rack flat stick or drop $$$$ on a Circle BS.

I haven't gone to anyone for a full professional fitting, just a length and lie measurement.

I did get a interactive PDF from the guy where Lumpy from Xenon Putters sends his clients. He can break down a SAM lab fitting, but this will give you most of the info you need.

It/he has you film your stroke from directly behind the ball and then based on the video, it goes through step by step process to help make some of the bigger base decisions.

It will recommend:

1- General head weight ( light, moderate or heavy)

2- shaft placement ( center, mid or heel)

3- amount of set ( full, 1/2, or none)

After that, it's up to you to decide head shape and alignment aid details.

For me, it came out to heavy, mid placement with a 1/2 offset, so that's what's coming on my next putter.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I had one with the SAM lab a few weeks ago. For me it was a bit eye opening. It gave me what loft and lie as well as the type of putter I should be playing. With the help of the pro I had a good idea of what to look for in my next putter. Tried a few out for while till I settled on the ping sigma G Tyne.

Knowing what fits your stroke I think is worth the time so you aren't wasting money on a putter that will hurt your game

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

After yesterday's 3 rounds where I was burning edge after edge and lagging putts either woefully short or so far past you could fit a Clubhouse between the cup and ball, I would definitely do a putter fitting prior to my next putter purchase just to eliminate any doubt in the equipment. I'm generally an an average putter and I'm sure its mostly me, but I don't need that extra thought in my head that my putter isn't helping me at all.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Ok, guess I'm the loner that doesn't believe in putter fitting by pros/club fitters.

A person just needs to fine one that looks & feels good to them. Then PRACTICE.

I don't think the "great putters" like Jack & others got fit. They picked one or 2 and got good with it.

Worth it for me at least. I was fit a few years ago and haven't switched putters since bc I'm happy with that part of my game (most of the time).

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Avoid the big box stores for a 'putter' fitting. It's a matter of a salesman putting every putter in your hand and asking which one you like best...then head to the register. Special shout out to Bob at then GolfSmith who 'fit' me in an Edel E3...which was purchased, received and sold on ebay in record time!! 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I am the only person so far to cast a No vote. But I do still think a fitted putter can be helpful and important. Here's why I cast a No vote.

Your putter fitting will depend entirely (as will any fitting) on who's doing the fitting.

I've had one putter fitting only and it was at the Edel headquarters in Texas and it was a disappointment as far as the overall experience is concerned. Does the putter perform well? Yes... it does actually. But I will tell you, my $$$ fitted Edel putter preforms equal to my OTR $39 Odyssey.

Would I go through another putter fitting? It all depends. But certainly not at the Edel Headquarters.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Ok, guess I'm the loner that doesn't believe in putter fitting by pros/club fitters.

I don't think the "great putters" like Jack & others got fit. They picked one or 2 and got good with it.

You are not alone.  While I would go to a putter fitting just to gather information, I don't think it would tell me what putter I should use.  I can tell by making several putts, and it doesn't take many. It either feels good and I can make putts or it doesn't feel good, and I won't get close to the hole.  Whenever I go to a golf store, I roll putts.  I can putt well with a blade, or not.  I can putt well with a mallet, or not.  The most important criteria for me is length and weight.  Most putters in stores are too long and too light.  Once I settle on a putter that has the right feel, then I check the lie.  Most putters are too flat.  So, I've learned that I need a short, heavy putter with an upright lie angle.  Hard to find OTR.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The putter is the most personal club in the bag and the one you use the absolute most in a round. Why would one not get it fitted is my question?

A proper fitting ensures many things:

Alignment (and which alignment aid or lack of helps you align it properly)

Toe hang to fit your stroke

Weight to fit your stroke and distance control

Return to square (most important combined with alignment)

Length/lie/loft

Minimize skid (for true roll)

Etc, etc, etc

The putter is the scoring club. You can get off the tee well, but the object isn't putting it in play, it's putting it in the hole.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

It's more important than the other clubs. IMO - because they are way more ways to successfully swing a putter than the other clubs.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's a club that tends to be forgotten about. Everyone gets fit for every other club but then just buys a putter cause it looks good or cause the pros use it yet it's not for them. No matter what club it is you should always get fit as everyone has different attributes when it comes to their swing, even with putting. Besides your short game around the green your putting is just as important as it's the part of your game that will help you gain strokes if your good at it

I think it is important to be fit, especially for length and lie and loft above all else. 

However, I was chatting with a pro fitter at 2nd swing and he said that fitting someone into a driver is easy. With all the hard numbers on swing speed, launch angle, release, etc.. you can dial in a shaft to suit that person's swing in a formulaic way.

Putting is different. You can try to fit for swing arc but sometimes players just happen to roll the high arc putter better with a SBST swing. A lot of other things related to liking the look at address. Putters are so varied in terms of style—more so than any other club. So there is no hard formula for success in fitting putters (although Edel might disagree).

I think we all understand that if you have confidence with the putter—more putts start going in. You would stick with that Walmart special if you drained 3 10 footers in a row.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I guess you'll be the odd one out lol!!! I'll let you test out the Huntington Beach one I'll be reviewing when we play together and see how you like it

Ping G20 driver through wedges

Bombtech blade putter

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

I guess you'll be the odd one out lol!!! I'll let you test out the Huntington Beach one I'll be reviewing when we play together and see how you like it

Bombtech blade putter

One handed

One handed

Well of course!!!

Bombtech blade putter

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

....thanks for the great content so far gents!  sounds like there are really good arguments on both sides.

after having-not-much-success with my newly acquired Ping Ketsch I put my all original 1984 Spalding TPMills #9 blade (which I got at Goodwill for 4.99) into play.  long story short my Ping is up for sale on Ebay and I will be using the proceeds for a putter fitting at my local Club Champion; if I can have as many 2 and 3 putts with a 5 dollar putter as I do with a 100 dollar one with all sorts of technology built into it then something must be off.  Can't wait to find out what!

This whole conversation does make me wonder.... are some people just naturally good at putting?

I tend to thinks so... similar to some people are just naturally good at shooting rifles at targets (this is the best comparison I could think of having been in the military and seen it).

I don't think you can be naturally good at hitting other clubs in your bag - you need to work at it and perfect it - but I think some people just have a knack at seeing the line understanding the pace and contacting the ball...

Would love to hear your thoughts... 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Some have a "better eye" but it comes down to practice.

The one handed post I made is kind of a inside joke... I was playing terrible so I gave up & was putting one handed & making putts or dang near. Also it just wasn't that round, done it several times,

You'll have to let me know how Club Champion goes. There is one a couple hours from me, near St. Louis, that I'm most likely going to try and go to in the near future.

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

You'll have to let me know how Club Champion goes. There is one a couple hours from me, near St. Louis, that I'm most likely going to try and go to in the near future.

Will do!  Thankfully I have one that's pretty close and I'm excited about how they use the SAM lab to help identify what would work best.

From what I've read it sounds like there's not a lot of pressure to buy either as there can sometimes be with drivers & irons.  Apparently you can buy something they recommend elsewhere and bring it back to get it adjusted (i.e. loft/lie, etc.) to the specs you were fit to.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Will do!  Thankfully I have one that's pretty close and I'm excited about how they use the SAM lab to help identify what would work best.

From what I've read it sounds like there's not a lot of pressure to buy either as there can sometimes be with drivers & irons.  Apparently you can buy something they recommend elsewhere and bring it back to get it adjusted (i.e. loft/lie, etc.) to the specs you were fit to.

That's because of how their business model is built.  Equipment margins aren't what they used to be in sales, so they make their cash off of labor (fitter spending time with you) and adjustments.  It's genius, honestly.  They don't have the inventory issues stores do, the clubs they do sell are bonuses, but their money is made when they spend their time with you and make adjustments for you.  They'll provide you a detailed spec list of every club they fit you into.  You can buy from them or wherever and they don't care.  Their money is made in the fitting.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I've never had a putter fitting on purpose. I had a teaching golf pro friend back in CT who would stop by when I was on the practice green summer evenings and watch me for a few minutes. After a bit he would come over throw the bull for a few then ease into a few suggestions.

It was definitely helpful. Always good to have another set of eyes to help.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

While a putter fitting is useful, there's nothing like using them on the course. It feels like those turf practice areas are built to make every putt go in.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I think so. I had one and found it quite interesting. It's awesome how a few changes in loft and even grip size can make a big difference 🙂

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Through my old career Ive been fitted by Cameron studio, Taylormade Kingdom and the Nike Oven. I had equipment contracts over the years with a few manufacturers. They all fitted me relatively similar but that meant absolutely nothing with day to day performance. They all fitted me into Newport/Anser style putters 34" from 350-360g heads and a few degrees flatter than the arbitrary "standard".

The problem is, Ive had plenty or 2-Balls,Spiders,Bettinardi bb40's, face balanced belly putters, golo's, rifes and odyssey fangs or tank fangs that have all been absolutely fine. My garage looks like a schizophrenics attempt at a putter collection.

I'm using an old buttonback right now but I'd have no problem with my favorite off the rack original 2Ball white hot with the fluted shaft. And NO ONE fit me into that thing.

Archived