GolfSpy Stroker

Putter fitting - worth it or not ?

Putter fitting - worth it, or nah...  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is paying to get fit for a putter worth it?

One handed

Well of course!!!

Ping G20 driver through wedges

Bombtech blade putter

• Like 1

....thanks for the great content so far gents!  sounds like there are really good arguments on both sides.

after having-not-much-success with my newly acquired Ping Ketsch I put my all original 1984 Spalding TPMills #9 blade (which I got at Goodwill for 4.99) into play.  long story short my Ping is up for sale on Ebay and I will be using the proceeds for a putter fitting at my local Club Champion; if I can have as many 2 and 3 putts with a 5 dollar putter as I do with a 100 dollar one with all sorts of technology built into it then something must be off.  Can't wait to find out what!

This whole conversation does make me wonder.... are some people just naturally good at putting?

I tend to thinks so... similar to some people are just naturally good at shooting rifles at targets (this is the best comparison I could think of having been in the military and seen it).

I don't think you can be naturally good at hitting other clubs in your bag - you need to work at it and perfect it - but I think some people just have a knack at seeing the line understanding the pace and contacting the ball...

Would love to hear your thoughts... 

• Like 3

Some have a "better eye" but it comes down to practice.

The one handed post I made is kind of a inside joke... I was playing terrible so I gave up & was putting one handed & making putts or dang near. Also it just wasn't that round, done it several times,

• Like 3

You'll have to let me know how Club Champion goes. There is one a couple hours from me, near St. Louis, that I'm most likely going to try and go to in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

You'll have to let me know how Club Champion goes. There is one a couple hours from me, near St. Louis, that I'm most likely going to try and go to in the near future.

Will do!  Thankfully I have one that's pretty close and I'm excited about how they use the SAM lab to help identify what would work best.

From what I've read it sounds like there's not a lot of pressure to buy either as there can sometimes be with drivers & irons.  Apparently you can buy something they recommend elsewhere and bring it back to get it adjusted (i.e. loft/lie, etc.) to the specs you were fit to.

• Like 1

Will do!  Thankfully I have one that's pretty close and I'm excited about how they use the SAM lab to help identify what would work best.

From what I've read it sounds like there's not a lot of pressure to buy either as there can sometimes be with drivers & irons.  Apparently you can buy something they recommend elsewhere and bring it back to get it adjusted (i.e. loft/lie, etc.) to the specs you were fit to.

That's because of how their business model is built.  Equipment margins aren't what they used to be in sales, so they make their cash off of labor (fitter spending time with you) and adjustments.  It's genius, honestly.  They don't have the inventory issues stores do, the clubs they do sell are bonuses, but their money is made when they spend their time with you and make adjustments for you.  They'll provide you a detailed spec list of every club they fit you into.  You can buy from them or wherever and they don't care.  Their money is made in the fitting.

• Like 2

I've never had a putter fitting on purpose. I had a teaching golf pro friend back in CT who would stop by when I was on the practice green summer evenings and watch me for a few minutes. After a bit he would come over throw the bull for a few then ease into a few suggestions.

It was definitely helpful. Always good to have another set of eyes to help.

• Like 1

While a putter fitting is useful, there's nothing like using them on the course. It feels like those turf practice areas are built to make every putt go in.

• Like 2

I think so. I had one and found it quite interesting. It's awesome how a few changes in loft and even grip size can make a big difference 🙂

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Through my old career Ive been fitted by Cameron studio, Taylormade Kingdom and the Nike Oven. I had equipment contracts over the years with a few manufacturers. They all fitted me relatively similar but that meant absolutely nothing with day to day performance. They all fitted me into Newport/Anser style putters 34" from 350-360g heads and a few degrees flatter than the arbitrary "standard".

The problem is, Ive had plenty or 2-Balls,Spiders,Bettinardi bb40's, face balanced belly putters, golo's, rifes and odyssey fangs or tank fangs that have all been absolutely fine. My garage looks like a schizophrenics attempt at a putter collection.

I'm using an old buttonback right now but I'd have no problem with my favorite off the rack original 2Ball white hot with the fluted shaft. And NO ONE fit me into that thing.

• Like 3

Through my old career Ive been fitted by Cameron studio, Taylormade Kingdom and the Nike Oven. I had equipment contracts over the years with a few manufacturers. They all fitted me relatively similar but that meant absolutely nothing with day to day performance. They all fitted me into Newport/Anser style putters 34" from 350-360g heads and a few degrees flatter than the arbitrary "standard".

The problem is, Ive had plenty or 2-Balls,Spiders,Bettinardi bb40's, face balanced belly putters, golo's, rifes and odyssey fangs or tank fangs that have all been absolutely fine. My garage looks like a schizophrenics attempt at a putter collection.

I'm using an old buttonback right now but I'd have no problem with my favorite off the rack original 2Ball white hot with the fluted shaft. And NO ONE fit me into that thing.

If you don't mind my asking, why do you keep switching? I've seen both ends of the spectrum on this matter (lots and lots of putters vs the same putter since childhood)

• Like 1

I'm with uno1337. I think that getting fit for lie, length, loft is worth while—if only to give you confidence and remove as many variables as possible to putting the ball online.

But this gets at my original comment above. I would not take as gospel, anyone who says your swing suits this putter.

• Like 2

I am the only person so far to cast a No vote. But I do still think a fitted putter can be helpful and important. Here's why I cast a No vote.

Your putter fitting will depend entirely (as will any fitting) on who's doing the fitting.

I've had one putter fitting only and it was at the Edel headquarters in Texas and it was a disappointment as far as the overall experience is concerned. Does the putter perform well? Yes... it does actually. But I will tell you, my $$$ fitted Edel putter preforms equal to my OTR $39 Odyssey.

Would I go through another putter fitting? It all depends. But certainly not at the Edel Headquarters.

I think that at some point we can adapt to our situation. If i have the wrong putter, I will eventually adapt to it to the point it works for me.. I also feel that is true with all of our clubs.. I also think that getting fit will make it easier to adapt. based off of the science behind it.. 

Putter fitting less so IMO, than irons, wedges, Hybrids and Driver.. 

MY $.02.... 

• Like 2

I think we can adapt to any putter for periods of time. Basically we get streaky or fail on pressure situations. A great example is Rory. He has a conflict between how he putts, wants to putt, and the putter he uses

• Like 2

I've never had one, but I know guys that we're fit at Bettinardi Studios and others who were fit for a SeeMore putter and they all raved about how much they learned about their stroke and how much it helped them.

• Like 2

I think we can adapt to any putter for periods of time. Basically we get streaky or fail on pressure situations. A great example is Rory. He has a conflict between how he putts, wants to putt, and the putter he uses

Definitely agree, I'm usually am streaky good for long periods of time then things go south and I switch. I switch between a blade and anser styles. I prefer the blade until it doesn't prefer me.

• Like 2

Definitely agree, I'm usually am streaky good for long periods of time then things go south and I switch. I switch between a blade and anser styles. I prefer the blade until it doesn't prefer me.

Classic case of live by the blade die by the blade.

• Like 2

Morning,

Had to change my vote to a YES. Getting fitted for the most used club in the bag would be eye opening. It would be nice to see the spin of different face inserts or millings. Length/Lie might be a personal feeling, but shaft placement, swing arch would be valuable to improve the roll.

Thanks for starting this thread

• Like 2

I've never had one, but I know guys that we're fit at Bettinardi Studios and others who were fit for a SeeMore putter and they all raved about how much they learned about their stroke and how much it helped them.

I'm headed over to the PGA Superstore this morning in Atlanta to go through a fitting for the Bettinardi I will be reviewing.  I've never had a putter fitting so this should be interesting to say the least. I've also contacted The Georgia Club which is a private golf club in Athens, Ga. that is a Bettinardi "Dealer".   The Lady I talked to at the club said she had passed my request to the pro shop however I have not heard back as of yet.   Hopefully I will have at least one good fitting to provide my specs to Bettinardi so I can get that puppy ordered!

I plan on keeping the "Betty" for life as I've never gamed a high dollar putter.  I want to make it right for me. I was talking to my wife and a good friend about going with stock specs or a fitting.  Both said fitting because this putter could be special and I want to give it every chance to succeed.  

• Like 4

I'm headed over to the PGA Superstore this morning in Atlanta to go through a fitting for the Bettinardi I will be reviewing.  I've never had a putter fitting so this should be interesting to say the least. I've also contacted The Georgia Club which is a private golf club in Athens, Ga. that is a Bettinardi "Dealer".   The Lady I talked to at the club said she had passed my request to the pro shop however I have not heard back as of yet.   Hopefully I will have at least one good fitting to provide my specs to Bettinardi so I can get that puppy ordered!

I plan on keeping the "Betty" for life as I've never gamed a high dollar putter.  I want to make it right for me. I was talking to my wife and a good friend about going with stock specs or a fitting.  Both said fitting because this putter could be special and I want to give it every chance to succeed.  

Wise advice from Kelly and your buddy.  I am excited to see what this putter does for your game.  Good luck today!