Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Putter fitting - worth it or not ?

Putter fitting - worth it, or nah...  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is paying to get fit for a putter worth it?

Ping iPhone putter app is free and the cradle is $10. This is what they used at GG when I got fitted. FYI the recommendation from the app is generic vs Ping centric.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Ping app sounds interesting, I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would you say is the most important club in your bag? You use the putter for about 43% of your strokes (give or take). I see you posted some pics from SAM Putt Lab and that is one of the best monitors to use for putter fittings. The club most amateurs get fit for is driver, and you only hit it 13-14 times per round. The money you will spend on a putter fitting will be the best money you have every spent!

WITB

Driver - Taylormade SLDR 9.5* tuned to 7.5* Miyazaki B.Asha Tour Issue 4S

3 Wood - Cobra King F7 14.5* Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 75G

2 Iron - Titleist TMB 16* Steelfiber i110cw X

4 Iron - King Forged CB Black True Temper X100

5 Iron - King Forged CB Black True Temper X100

6 Iron - King Forged CB Black True Temper X100

7 Iron - King Forged MB Black True Temper X100

8 Iron - King Forged MB Black True Temper X100

9 Iron - King Forged MB Black True Temper X100

PW - King Forged MB Black True Temper X100

GW - King PUR 52* Wedge True Temper X100

SW - King PUR 56* Wedge True Temper X100

LW - King PUR 60* Wedge True Temper X100

Putter - Ken Giannini G1 Chrome

Golf Ball - Titleist Pro V1

What would you say is the most important club in your bag? You use the putter for about 43% of your strokes (give or take). I see you posted some pics from SAM Putt Lab and that is one of the best monitors to use for putter fittings. The club most amateurs get fit for is driver, and you only hit it 13-14 times per round. The money you will spend on a putter fitting will be the best money you have every spent!

surprisingly many more places do iron/wood fittings than do putter fittings.  It's starting to come around but - as you said - it being the club you use the most it would seem that more places would offer it...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I think that it is hard for places to sell detailed putter fittings. So many people have the mindset that they just need to find a putter that looks and feels good and that will be the right putter. Most places have a launch monitor or simulator so it is visible for people to see

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Too bad though...seems like it would take less square footage and be a minimal investment.

Maybe chicks aren't the only one who dig the long ball. 😎

Sent from my Moto G (4) using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Too bad though...seems like it would take less square footage and be a minimal investment.

Maybe chicks aren't the only one who dig the long ball.

It is about making money and I think they would struggle even with the minimal space required.  I had to drive 3 hours to get my SAM report and Edel would be about 3 hours as well.   I also think that convincing people to spend the money for the fitting would be difficult. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It is about making money and I think they would struggle even with the minimal space required.  I had to drive 3 hours to get my SAM report and Edel would be about 3 hours as well.   I also think that convincing people to spend the money for the fitting would be difficult. 

I do agree because most people think they are a certain type of putter and then when they see the stroke on SAM they are amazed. The biggest thing is knowledge, 90% of golfers have no idea that they can get fit for a putter, or have any idea that the loft and lie of their putter is just as or more important than their irons.

WITB

Driver - Taylormade SLDR 9.5* tuned to 7.5* Miyazaki B.Asha Tour Issue 4S

3 Wood - Cobra King F7 14.5* Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 75G

2 Iron - Titleist TMB 16* Steelfiber i110cw X

4 Iron - King Forged CB Black True Temper X100

5 Iron - King Forged CB Black True Temper X100

6 Iron - King Forged CB Black True Temper X100

7 Iron - King Forged MB Black True Temper X100

8 Iron - King Forged MB Black True Temper X100

9 Iron - King Forged MB Black True Temper X100

PW - King Forged MB Black True Temper X100

GW - King PUR 52* Wedge True Temper X100

SW - King PUR 56* Wedge True Temper X100

LW - King PUR 60* Wedge True Temper X100

Putter - Ken Giannini G1 Chrome

Golf Ball - Titleist Pro V1

Here is an interesting podcast about putting and putter fitting. The interview is with the instructor that has significantly improved my putting.

http://gameimprovementgolf.com/087-natural-putter-fitting-bruce-rearick-interview/

• 6 months later...

Here's my take: people say, “Get fitted for your driver. Get fitted for your irons. Get fitted for your wedges. BUY YOUR PUTTER OFF THE RACK.”

That doesn't make sense.

A person needs to go through a fitting for their putter just like EVERY other club in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Here's my take: people say, “Get fitted for your driver. Get fitted for your irons. Get fitted for your wedges. BUY YOUR PUTTER OFF THE RACK.”

That doesn't make sense.

A person needs to go through a fitting for their putter just like EVERY other club in the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

absolutely...if you were to keep track of the one club in your bag that you use more than any other club during a round of golf and then tell me that is the one club you did NOT get fit for I'd wonder what was wrong with you....  :)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Has anyone kept track of, I mean really kept track of, their putting prior to a putter fitting, then again after a putter fitting using the same metrics for inclusion. There are guys here that have gone to putter fitting and went through the extensive experience only to scrap that putter and go back to something that feel more comfortable playing. If you aren't saving strokes by spending that money on a putter fitting, what is the real need to get one.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Has anyone kept track of, I mean really kept track of, their putting prior to a putter fitting, then again after a putter fitting using the same metrics for inclusion. There are guys here that have gone to putter fitting and went through the extensive experience only to scrap that putter and go back to something that feel more comfortable playing. If you aren't saving strokes by spending that money on a putter fitting, what is the real need to get one.

I never kept track of my stats prior to my putter fitting, but I know I am putting better.  I have swapped out putters for short periods of time,  but always go back.   Prior to my fitting my instructor went through a tutorial about putting theory and how to build a stroke and fit a putter to that stroke.   If I switch a putters,  it will be to basically the same configuration, with the only change being to lower the loft.  

• 3 weeks later...

I did a putter fitting a few years ago on a SAM system.  Had as good or better numbers with my putter so need need to change. They did adjust the shaft angle slightly and regrouped with a round Edel grip I had tried on another putter.  Overall it was good confirmation that when I had issues with putting it was my problem and not the putter.

I am waiting for new putters to arrive to do another putter fitting to test new putters and make sure my stroke is still consistent and I have not changed anything for the worse.  The cost is basically a round of golf so I think it os worth it every few years.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

• 3 weeks later...

If you were ever curious what a putter fitting is like this is almost exactly what mine was like (I also used a SAM lab).  It's kind of long but it gives a great idea of what to expect if you decide to do it.

You'll notice that all you're really doing is putting to a hole that is about 6-8 feet away over and over again.  Obviously they aren't checking how well you "read" putts but more how the face impacts the ball and how you swing the putter.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

If you were ever curious what a putter fitting is like this is almost exactly what mine was like (I also used a SAM lab). It's kind of long but it gives a great idea of what to expect if you decide to do it.

You'll notice that all you're really doing is putting to a hole that is about 6-8 feet away over and over again. Obviously they aren't checking how well you "read" putts but more how the face impacts the ball and how you swing the putter.

I need to do this! My putting got so bad one year that even gimmes weren't gimmes.☹️

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

The SAM lab results are extremely helpful... some guys don't even know if they are a SBST or slight arc or strong arc putter... or they think they are one but the SAM lab clearly shows that they're not what they think.

I need a 1 degree loft adjustment (3-4) so I am able to get any putter that fits my stroke and bring it back and they'll bend it for me for free (Club Champion).

Also very good to know (for a fact) how long of a shaft you need... if you have too short or too long of a shaft that can really mess up your stroke.

DO IT MD!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

The SAM lab results are extremely helpful... some guys don't even know if they are a SBST or slight arc or strong arc putter... or they think they are one but the SAM lab clearly shows that they're not what they think.

I need a 1 degree loft adjustment (3-4) so I am able to get any putter that fits my stroke and bring it back and they'll bend it for me for free (Club Champion).

Also very good to know (for a fact) how long of a shaft you need... if you have too short or too long of a shaft that can really mess up your stroke.

DO IT MD!

You came up to Club Champion in Rockville? Seem to remember that post. Did they recommend a specific putter for you too?

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

You came up to Club Champion in Rockville? Seem to remember that post. Did they recommend a specific putter for you too?

MDGolfHacker

Nope... I live in MA and went to the CC in Needham.

They did recommend a specific putter.  It was a 389 dollar Scotty.  :o   I emailed the fitter the next day and asked if there were some other - more affordable - options that were like the Scotty and he gave me a few to choose from.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Nope... I live in MA and went to the CC in Needham.

They did recommend a specific putter. It was a 389 dollar Scotty. :o I emailed the fitter the next day and asked if there were some other - more affordable - options that were like the Scotty and he gave me a few to choose from.

Ah gotcha.. Old age.. The memory is going, lol...

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I went through a putter fitting at the Club Champion near me this spring.

I thought it was well worth it. I have always been a poor putter, more 3 putts than 1 putts.

I do keep track of my putts every round and last year I was at 36.6, it was holding my scoring back.

In the previous 3 years I had tried an odyssey #7 a #9 and a ping Kinloch sigma g. So, basically the whole range of styles.

The fitting suggested I should be using a mid mallet, with 2* more loft than I was using. I was spot on for length and lie. So at least I had figured that out via trial and error.

I think the recommended putter for me was a scotty Newport 2 select (mid mallet).

I opted to order an evnroll er2 built to the lie, loft and length recommended. Club Champion, didn't carry evnroll so I couldn't try it there. But given the reviews on this site and overall buzz I wanted to try one. That the er2 was almost identical to the scotty made it an easy choice to pull the trigger.

Well, the early results are truly amazing. I have never made so many putts. My last two rounds were 29 and 26 putts. I have never enjoyed putting, now I literally expect to make every putt I take.

Are the results due to a correct fitting, evnroll magic, or devine intervention? Don't know, don't care. But I might amend my will to be buried with this putter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I went through a putter fitting at the Club Champion near me this spring.

I thought it was well worth it. I have always been a poor putter, more 3 putts than 1 putts.

I do keep track of my putts every round and last year I was at 36.6, it was holding my scoring back.

In the previous 3 years I had tried an odyssey #7 a #9 and a ping Kinloch sigma g. So, basically the whole range of styles.

The fitting suggested I should be using a mid mallet, with 2* more loft than I was using. I was spot on for length and lie. So at least I had figured that out via trial and error.

I think the recommended putter for me was a scotty Newport 2 select (mid mallet).

I opted to order an evnroll er2 built to the lie, loft and length recommended. Club Champion, didn't carry evnroll so I couldn't try it there. But given the reviews on this site and overall buzz I wanted to try one. That the er2 was almost identical to the scotty made it an easy choice to pull the trigger.

Well, the early results are truly amazing. I have never made so many putts. My last two rounds were 29 and 26 putts. I have never enjoyed putting, now I literally expect to make every putt I take.

Are the results due to a correct fitting, evnroll magic, or devine intervention? Don't know, don't care. But I might amend my will to be buried with this putter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My buddy won some $$ at the casino and was considering splurging on a new driver or a new putter.  He hits the ball right around 300 with his current driver with a little bit of a fade.  He wanted to try to play with the spin a bit so he wanted something adjustable....meanwhile he's a crappy ass putter....not sure what he has but he has said many times how he was able to stick it close and miss the short one.

Told him to go for the putter but did he listen to me... NOOOOO.... gets a Callaway DBD and now he's hooking that thing big time and it's in his closet.

Told him that he's not going to get much distance ... or enough for it to be worth it and he's already piping it with his current driver so what the hell is he thinking.  But it's an older Taylormade and he wanted something newer.

Stories like this help reinforce my belief that one of the BEST investments you can make in your game is to get fit for a putter and get a good one.... more than any other club in your bag - it is by far the most important.... yet the most overlooked.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, I am always the one here to say get fitted, but with putters IMO it's a little different. Putting is all feel. An Odyssey putter may work for John but Dave says they feel like mush. Evnroll are excellent putters for a lot of people but I cannot make them work. A fitter could set up the perfect Evnroll for me but I still have to pull the trigger and roll the putt.

I really stand by trying the putter before you buy. If you could find an unbiased fitter that can break down your measurements and stroke then offer you a range of putters to try, that may be helpful.

With all the other clubs it's easy to see the differences. You can see launch angles, spin rates and distances on the trackman, but putting I don't feel like there's enough concrete evidence to show me that a fitter's recommendation is better than my own.

I'll leave you with this, I do feel like we don't pay enough attention to our putters. We spend hours researching drivers and irons. We demo clubs and compare stats between brands. But when buying a putter we knock a few putts on a controlled surface and then off to the register. So if getting a putter fitting gives you confidence in you stick than I say go for it.

Lol gosh, I really need to learn to type shorter responses.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I am definitely in need for a fitting. I have been trying to make my Cleveland Huntington Beach #3 work for me/Forcing it to fit me. I have not had the success I've looked for with it and this is after boat loads of practice on the putting greens every week.

Goal is to go to Club Champion in the next month and get fitted. Fingers crossed it helps! If I can get my putts from my 2.4 average under 2, I will be in luck!

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

Archived