Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

JPX 900 Driver vs Epic

epsanche23

So I've been testing drivers for the past month and was recently fit into the Epic which was producing some amazing numbers for me.

I really like the look and feel of the Epic. I was ready to make the purchase when I unexpectedly came into receiving a brand new JPX 900 driver at no cost.

The JPX looks stunning. I managed to hit a demo at a local pga superstore but didn't get a chance to really tweak the settings. I will be heading back to compare side by side to make a final decision on whether to sell JPX and buy Epic or keep Mizuno.

I'm just wondering if anyone has hit these two drivers side by side BUT with each drivers setting dialed in to their swings. If so which performed better for you and which did you decide on?

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Phoenix, AZ

Driver:

Callaway Epic SZ 10 Degree w/ UST Proforce V2 Tipped 1/2" Stiff

Fairway

Nike Vapor Flex 3 Wood 15 w/Diamana Blue 70gram S

Irons:

TM UDI 2i, 4,5 Nike VP 6-PW Nike VRII Pro 

Wedges:

Kyoei Forged 52, 56, 60

Putter:  

Kana Studio Proto Blade

Dexterity:

Right-Handed

Mizuno clubs have the look down bar none, but only the irons win my loyalty to earn a spot in the bag. Someone prove me wrong & show numbers to back up why I should move away from an a M2 or Epic which test out darn near identical for me.

Sent from my SM-J700T using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mizuno clubs have the look down bar none, but only the irons win my loyalty to earn a spot in the bag. Someone prove me wrong & show numbers to back up why I should move away from an a M2

Have you hit any of their woods? If so what was it that put you off? Raw numbers or feel or both?

Phoenix, AZ

Driver:

Fairway

Irons:

Wedges:

Kyoei Forged 52, 56, 60

Putter:  

Kana Studio Proto Blade

Dexterity:

Right-Handed

I had a Mizuno driver, it sounded like an aluminum bat every time I hit a drive. Play Taylormade now and love the feel.

planet earth

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

... I have not played a Mizuno driver since the MP600. That was a killer driver. One thing I have learned from going to the PGA Show demo day is every year, a couple of drivers you don't expect or were not even on the radar turn out to be very impressive. I never rule any OEM's drivers out until I hit them. But I have not hit the JPX 900. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I had a Mizuno driver, it sounded like an aluminum bat every time I hit a drive. Play Taylormade now and love the feel.

planet earth

Have you tried the 900 yet?

Phoenix, AZ

Driver:

Fairway

Irons:

Wedges:

Kyoei Forged 52, 56, 60

Putter:  

Kana Studio Proto Blade

Dexterity:

Right-Handed

No, have they improved the feel? That was the big reason why I moved away from it.

planet earth

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

I played the JPX-850 and hands down that thing could flat out bomb some balls. I heard the JPX-900 is more forgiving with the same ability to bomb it. Main thing will be making sure you find the right shaft for it. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

No, have they improved the feel? That was the big reason why I moved away from it.

planet earth

I think mizuno is really pushing to get back in metalwood consideration with the release of the 900. Really nice feel. But as always, try it for yourself if you get the chance.

Phoenix, AZ

Driver:

Fairway

Irons:

Wedges:

Kyoei Forged 52, 56, 60

Putter:  

Kana Studio Proto Blade

Dexterity:

Right-Handed

Thanks, I may have to plan a trip to the store 😃

planet earth

I had the MP700 - ugliest/worst sounding driver that I've ever owned. But.... I loved it. I could really bomb the ball with it. Then I got sick and the shaft was too stiff for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I fell in love with my Epic during my fitting. I can't imagine cheating on it less than a month into ownership, but you've got me thinking about the green(er) grass that might be on the other side. Those pictures are amazing!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

The JPX 900 is a fantastic driver.  Mizuno nailed it with the look and feel/sound for sure.  I played the JPX 850 and it was super low spin and I hit some bombs with it but it never quite sounded right to me.  The 900 on the other hand sounds fantastic.  The spin is slightly higher with the 900 than the 850 but it can get super low if you fit the club correctly. 

There is so much adjustability with this club that It's very important to get fit on a launch monitor.  When I got mine I dropped a little over 1000 RPM of spin from the stock configuration once I got it adjusted correctly.  

Oh and did I mention the absolutely phenomenal stock Fujikura Speeder Evo II shafts.  The stock 569 can be a little spinny to some but the 661 and 757 will help bring that spin down.  Even if you hate the shafts you could sell it and make back a significant amount of money and put whatever you want in it.  

My bag is a revolving door!

I had mizzy driver, unfortunately I don't remember the model. I remember it had the carbon fiber crown. The feel was just off for me. Didn't like the sound. After that experience, I moved on.

I might have to try a mizzy fitting session around denver and try the 900.

Thanks for the review!

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

I hit the 900, and I just didn't care for it. The feel wasn't there. The numbers weren't there. The looks? Definitely there.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I fell in love with my Epic during my fitting. I can't imagine cheating on it less than a month into ownership, but you've got me thinking about the green(er) grass that might be on the other side. Those pictures are amazing!

I really like the Epic as well. The 900 is pretty damn good. I managed to hit it with both weights forward in the middle track and it seemed to produce the best numbers and low spin. I think I am going to purchase the Epic still and game them both on the course to determine for certain. 

Thanks! Pays off when you're a professional photographer for a living lol

Phoenix, AZ

Driver:

Fairway

Irons:

Wedges:

Kyoei Forged 52, 56, 60

Putter:  

Kana Studio Proto Blade

Dexterity:

Right-Handed

I hit the 900, and I just didn't care for it. The feel wasn't there. The numbers weren't there. The looks? Definitely there.

Were you hitting it on neutral settings or did you get a chance to dial it in?

Phoenix, AZ

Driver:

Fairway

Irons:

Wedges:

Kyoei Forged 52, 56, 60

Putter:  

Kana Studio Proto Blade

Dexterity:

Right-Handed

The JPX 900 is a fantastic driver.  Mizuno nailed it with the look and feel/sound for sure.  I played the JPX 850 and it was super low spin and I hit some bombs with it but it never quite sounded right to me.  The 900 on the other hand sounds fantastic.  The spin is slightly higher with the 900 than the 850 but it can get super low if you fit the club correctly. 

There is so much adjustability with this club that It's very important to get fit on a launch monitor.  When I got mine I dropped a little over 1000 RPM of spin from the stock configuration once I got it adjusted correctly.  

Oh and did I mention the absolutely phenomenal stock Fujikura Speeder Evo II shafts.  The stock 569 can be a little spinny to some but the 661 and 757 will help bring that spin down.  Even if you hate the shafts you could sell it and make back a significant amount of money and put whatever you want in it.  

I agree! Once set up correctly the numbers definitely fall in line. 

Interesting point about the 569. Worth swapping for 661 or 757 and seeing what changes that makes.

Phoenix, AZ

Driver:

Fairway

Irons:

Wedges:

Kyoei Forged 52, 56, 60

Putter:  

Kana Studio Proto Blade

Dexterity:

Right-Handed

Were you hitting it on neutral settings or did you get a chance to dial it in?

I didn't really get a chance to adjust it. I did move the weights a little bit...

I didn't really get a chance to adjust it. I did move the weights a little bit...

I definitely think, with so much adjustability, there is a ton of potential for it. If you like how it feels, stick with it and get on a Trackman and really figure it out! It's a great club, just not for me.

How much does sound matter to you guys? Honestly, the M2 sounded amazing to me, and I'm not really a fan of the Epic sound. That said, I was crushing the Epic at my fitting and the sound factor went out the window, quick.

I really like the Epic as well. The 900 is pretty damn good. I managed to hit it with both weights forward in the middle track and it seemed to produce the best numbers and low spin. I think I am going to purchase the Epic still and game them both on the course to determine for certain. 

Thanks! Pays off when you're a professional photographer for a living lol

Sounds like the best route to take, and the professional photographer part makes total sense of the pictures you posted. Well done, man.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Sound isn't an issue as long as it doesn't feel like it sounds.

planet earth

I have played the JPX 850 for two seasons. Great Driver, very consistent, beautiful color. I have hit the JPX 900, seems to have all the same qualities but in a 460cc head.

While I haven't swung either, I did collect numbers fro Rick Shiels driver reviews for both drivers. The numbers in the data collection I performed were all resulting from the 3 best of 5 shots of which all were very consistent. He uses GC2 tech to provide the numbers. While there are also other clubs in the data, take a look at the JPX vs. EPIC. Only distances were compared but all shots were within +/-5 yards of the target line.

Driver Boom For Your Buck - Sheet1.pdf

While I haven't swung either, I did collect numbers fro Rick Shiels driver reviews for both drivers. The numbers in the data collection I performed were all resulting from the 3 best of 5 shots of which all were very consistent. He uses GC2 tech to provide the numbers. While there are also other clubs in the data, take a look at the JPX vs. EPIC. Only distances were compared but all shots were within +/-5 yards of the target line.

Thats very interesting, thanks.  

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

Nice data! Good info thanks!

Phoenix, AZ

Driver:

Fairway

Irons:

Wedges:

Kyoei Forged 52, 56, 60

Putter:  

Kana Studio Proto Blade

Dexterity:

Right-Handed

I'm finding it hard to locate a store or shop that carries it near me. Places will carry Mizzy irons, but no woods or hybrids. A little frustrating. I really want to give out a hit, as I'm quickly becoming a mizzy fanboy...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Archived