Why do we need graphics on the clubs?

Shankster

You know....

There is a ton of new equipment that came out, and that is forthcoming that I would probably like... but why must they put these ridiculous graphics on them?

A solid color, with an accent. Woods, hybrid, irons and wedges. Ditch the carbon fiber, leave that to race cars.

The stickers don't make it faster. I don't care what anyone says. Yes, even if it is a NOS sticker.

- Alan

I'm not a big graphics guy either but lots of people like them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Titleist...standard black crown. Less is more.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

There is a large(Golfballs wide) white stripe on the top of my Wilson Staff Triton driver.......and it does not get in the way of my swing. I really don't even notice it after I set up.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

You know....

There is a ton of new equipment that came out, and that is forthcoming that I would probably like... but why must they put these ridiculous graphics on them?

A solid color, with an accent. Woods, hybrid, irons and wedges. Ditch the carbon fiber, leave that to race cars.

The stickers don't make it faster. I don't care what anyone says. Yes, even if it is a NOS sticker.

- Alan

Just curious which clubs you're referencing? Can you provide pics for examples?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I understand your gripe out graphics - but most of the the carbon fiber you see is actual carbon fiber - it is how they make the crowns on a lot of woods in order to save weight. The carbon fiber isnt there fun

Yeah, I know it saves weight and all that. It does "look" cool. I could do with out the neon greens, blues...

A solid carbon fiber looking Driver would be sweet. Just not faded in, or black/white bam in your face.

- Alan

Callaway epic, big Bertha, M1, M2, Cobra(black is ok)

I have a R1 and it is the most distracting thing.

- Alan

All of the clubs you mention have carbon fiber crowns.  It's not graphics, it is how they driver is constructed 

Yeah, I know it saves weight and all that. It does "look" cool. I could do with out the neon greens, blues...

A solid carbon fiber looking Driver would be sweet. Just not faded in, or black/white bam in your face.

- Alan

Understood.  Everyone has their own personal preference.  I dig the look of the carbon fiber.  And I particularly love the styling of the M1/M2 white/black.

Companies do their due dilligence with market research for consumer preferences, so there are definitely a good number of people that enjoy the look.

It is also a marketing story - golf club companies are huge into "visible technology" these days and choosing to leave the carbon fiber visible is definitely a strategic choice

All of the clubs you mention have carbon fiber crowns. It's not graphics, it is how they driver is constructed

Yes, I feel like the color schemes on drivers are like buying dog food, the color does nothing to affect the quality lol. Seriously though, if everything was the same I wonder how sales would go for each company.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Cobras subdued diamonds is the most I can do. I actually like those drivers a lot. And Ping with the Matte finish, the X2 Hots, XR's, Titleist, Wilson's D300, maybe a Mizuno.

I'll stop complaining. Just leave the faded paint jobs to the race teams.

... I did a review of Bridgetone J33 cb's when they came out and at the time stated that all things considered, they may be the best looking cb ever made. The rolled cavity with just an understated J33 and Bridgestone golf in it. Back then I cared enough to remove the painful for an even more subdued look. Smallish head, thinner topline and beautiful hosel transition with a classic head shape.They didn't sell sh!t and the complaint Bridgestone received from many stores was "No shelf appeal". So what we purists viewed as beautiful, the average joe and store owner viewed as boring.

bridgestone j33 forged cavity back irons

bridgestone j36 forged cavity back irons

... So Bridgestone came out with a sparkly cavity and flashy black and blue banner/striping in their next offering, the J36. Wrong color scheme and too flashy with the sparkly cavity. LOL you can't win when it comes too aesthetics. The younger guys at WRX want colored shafts, ferrules, grips and bold graphics. They want loud explosive sound. Us old school guys want understated colored clubs (preferable all black) with no graphics and subtle lettering as well as a deep and dampened sound. 

... It ain't easy being an OEM today. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

... I did a review of Bridgetone J33 cb's when they came out and at the time stated that all things considered, they may be the best looking cb ever made. The rolled cavity with just an understated J33 and Bridgestone golf in it. Back then I cared enough to remove the painful for an even more subdued look. Smallish head, thinner topline and beautiful hosel transition with a classic head shape.They didn't sell sh!t and the complaint Bridgestone received from many stores was "No shelf appeal". So what we purists viewed as beautiful, the average joe and store owner viewed as boring.

... So Bridgestone came out with a sparkly cavity and flashy black and blue banner/striping in their next offering, the J36. Wrong color scheme and too flashy with the sparkly cavity. LOL you can't win when it comes too aesthetics. The younger guys at WRX want colored shafts, ferrules, grips and bold graphics. They want loud explosive sound. Us old school guys want understated colored clubs (preferable all black) with no graphics and subtle lettering as well as a deep and dampened sound.

I'm only 34... I want none of that flash...

That was supposed to be funny.

- Alan

... So Bridgestone came out with a sparkly cavity and flashy black and blue banner/striping in their next offering, the J36. Wrong color scheme and too flashy with the sparkly cavity. LOL you can't win when it comes too aesthetics. The younger guys at WRX want colored shafts, ferrules, grips and bold graphics. They want loud explosive sound. Us old school guys want understated colored clubs (preferable all black) with no graphics and subtle lettering as well as a deep and dampened sound.

And those clubs are perfect. No frills. Perfect.

- Alan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the carbon fiber actually reduces clubhead weight. So... not just for looks.

TaylorMade SLDR, regular, std. length &lie

2017 TaylorMade M1, stiff, 10.5°

Left handed

Washington State

7.3 Index

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I think the only club I really don't like is the M1/M2 family. Even though there aren't many graphics on the top, the black/white isn't very appealing to me. I don't mind the Cobra clubs, as they're a solid color. Some people like to have some pizazz (or however you spell that) in their bag.

Driver: Ping G 9.5*

Fairway: TaylorMade AeroBurner

Hybrid: Adams Blue

Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0

Wedges: TaylorMade Tour Preferred EF

Putter: Odyssey O-Works #1

Yeah I know it's not for looks. But I'm one of those guys that believes in the technology. I don't need to see it. It's like a car with a suped up engine. You know it's fast, it may have a little hood scoop, or a nice exhaust sound.... but too much is too much. Let the performance do the talking.

I guess by graphics I meant faded paint jobs and large contrasting colors.

I think the majority of people just want it to look like the OEM put some thought into the way it looked. At today's price points, I think people are less willing to drop $500 on a driver that looks like a simple head on the end of a shaft with a grip. Put some color on it, make it look cool, and they'll throw their money at you.

I think people would be less likely to buy a Corolla if you tried to sell it to them on the premise that it had an twin turbo inline 6, for the price of an M3.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I am not a big graphics guy either.  I got fitted for a driver a few years back and the one that fit me best was the RBZ stage 2.  A white clubhead with stripes across the crown!!!.  I almost didn't buy it just because of the look.  Eventually, however, I did and after using it a couple of times, I didn't even notice the graphics anymore.

J33CB irons were the perfect club...until the d*ckbags as the USGA decided to declare their grooves non-conforming.  

Tour Issue Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° / Graphite Design P9003 TX  OR  Tour Issue Taylormade M1 430 9.5° / Graphite Design P9003 TX                        

Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX                    Tour Issue Callaway XHot 3 Deep 13° / Project X T1100 95g 6.5

Tour Issue Titleist 915Hd 17.5° / Graphite Design DI-105 X                                Tour Issue Callaway BB Alpha 815 18° / Graphite Design DI-105 X

Scratch AR-1 v2 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                                        Raw Bridgestone J15CB 3-PW / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7

Scratch FIT 54°DS and 60°DS / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7                            Bettinardi H2 Forged 54° and 60° / Tour Issue Dynamic Gold X7        

Rotating 8802 style putters

I don't mind carbon fiber on drivers, it's part of the construction but when you get the carbon fiber stickers on irons? That is ugly! Stickers and other plastic things on irons in general look cheap in my opinion.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

I don't mind carbon fiber on drivers, it's part of the construction but when you get the carbon fiber stickers on irons? That is ugly! Stickers and other plastic things on irons in general look cheap in my opinion.

Yes! I wish more irons were just forged with a little paint fill. Nothing crazy.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Archived